See Data values
See Data values
Redstone can be obtained by mining or smelting redstone ore, destroying jungle temple traps, crafting blocks of redstone, killing witches, trading with villagers, or by breaking previously-placed redstone dust. It can also be found in chests that spawn in naturally generated structures.
Redstone dust can be broken instantly using any tool, or without a tool, and drops itself as an item. Its hitbox may only cover part of the surface below, depending on the orientation of the redstone.
Redstone dust will also be removed and drop redstone as an item:
- if its attachment block is moved, removed, or destroyed
- if water flows into its space
- if a piston tries to push it or moves a block into its space
If lava flows into redstone dust's space, the redstone dust will be destroyed without dropping redstone as an item.
Redstone can be crafted from blocks of redstone.
|Block of Redstone|
A single redstone ore will yield 4–5 redstone when mined with an iron or diamond pickaxe. With the Fortune enchantment, additional redstone up to the enchantment level may be dropped (e.g. 0–3 extra will be dropped with Fortune III).
Redstone can be found in 27.4% of dungeon chests and 27.4% of woodland mansion chests in stacks of 1–4, and in 17.0% of chest minecarts in abandoned mineshafts, 12.2% of stronghold altar chests, and 19.0% of stronghold storeroom chests, all in stacks of 4–9.
|Redstone Ore +
Clerics can offer to trade 1 to 4 redstone for an emerald as one of their second-tier trades.
|Mundane Potion||Redstone +
|Increased Duration||Redstone +
Potion of Fire Resistance or
Potion of Invisibility or
Potion of Night Vision or
Potion of Poison or
Potion of Regeneration or
Potion of Slowness or
Potion of Strength or
Potion of Swiftness or
Potion of Water Breathing or
Potion of Weakness or
Potion of Leaping
|Decreases Level||Redstone +
Potion of Harming II or
Potion of Healing II or
Potion of Leaping II or
Potion of Poison II or
Potion of Regeneration II or
Potion of Strength II or
Potion of Swiftness II
|Block of Redstone||Redstone|
|Clock||Gold Ingot +
|Compass||Iron Ingot +
|Detector Rail||Iron Ingot +
Stone Pressure Plate +
|The bow must be undamaged[Java and Legacy Console editions only].|
Enchantments on the bow do not affect the resulting dispenser.
|Note Block||Any Wood Planks +
|Piston||Any Wood Planks +
Iron Ingot +
|Powered Rail||Gold Ingot +
|Redstone Lamp||Redstone +
|Redstone Repeater||Redstone Torch +
|Can use stone and its variants interchangeably.[Bedrock Edition only]|
|Redstone Repeater||Redstone Torch +
|Can use stone only, no variants.[Java and Legacy Console editions only]|
|Redstone Torch||Redstone +
When placed in the Minecraft world, redstone becomes a block of "redstone dust", which can transmit redstone power.
- Redstone dust can only be placed on opaque blocks as well as glowstone, upside-down slabs and upside-down stairs, and hoppers.
- Redstone dust will configure itself to point towards adjacent redstone power components and transmission component connection points. Redstone dust will also configure itself to point towards adjacent redstone dust one block higher or lower – unless there is a solid opaque block above the lower redstone dust, or if the higher redstone dust is on a transparent block such as glowstone, an upside-down slab or stair, or a hopper.
- If there is only one such adjacent redstone component, redstone dust will configure itself into a line pointing both at the neighbor and away from it. If there are two or more such adjacent redstone components, redstone dust will point at them, forming a line, an "elbow", a "T", or a cross. If there are no such adjacent redstone components, redstone dust will configure itself into a directionless "dot",[Java and Legacy Console editions only] or a plus sign,[Bedrock Edition only] both of which can provide power in all four directions.
- Redstone dust will not automatically configure itself to point towards adjacent blocks or mechanism components. If such a configuration is desired, the other neighbors of the redstone dust must be arranged to create it.
- When redstone dust is reconfigured after placement, it will not update other redstone components around it of the change unless that reconfiguration also includes a change in power level or another component provides an update. This can create situations where a mechanism component remains activated when it shouldn't, or vice versa, until it receives an update from something else – a "feature" of redstone dust that can be exploited to create a kind of block update detector.
- Redstone dust can transmit power, which can be used to operate mechanism components (doors, pistons, redstone lamps, etc.).
- Redstone dust can be "powered" by a number of methods:
- from an adjacent power component or a strongly-powered block
- from the output of a redstone repeater or redstone comparator
- from adjacent redstone dust. The powering dust can be a level higher or lower, but with restrictions:
- Redstone dust can be powered by redstone dust which is one level lower, or on an opaque block one level higher. A transparent block cannot pass power downward.
- The block "between" the two dust blocks must be air or transparent. A solid block there "cuts" the connection between the higher and lower dust.
- The "power level" of redstone dust can vary from 0 to 15. Most power components power-up adjacent redstone dust to power level 15, but a few (daylight sensors, trapped chests, and weighted pressure plates) may create a lower power level. Redstone repeaters output power level 15 (when turned on), but redstone comparators may output a lower power level.
- Power level drops by 1 for every block of redstone dust it crosses. Thus, redstone dust can transmit power for no more than 15 blocks. To go further, the power level must be re-strengthened – typically with a redstone repeater.
- Powered redstone dust on top of, or pointing at, an opaque block will "weakly"-power the block. A weakly-powered block will not power other adjacent redstone dust, but will still power redstone repeaters and comparators and activate adjacent mechanism components. Transparent blocks cannot be powered.
- When redstone dust is unpowered, it will appear dark red. When powered, it will turn bright red at power level 15, fading to darker shades the lower the power gets. Powered redstone dust also produces "reddust" particles of the same color.
Redstone dust is defined by its ID and block data. Redstone dust also has a block state which is expected to replace the functionality of block data in a future version.
|Name||ID Name||Numerical ID|
|Redstone Dust (block)||
- See also: Data values
|A four-bit field storing a value from 0 to 15 specifying the redstone dust's current redstone power level.|
- See also: Block states
|The redstone dust does not connect in this direction.|
|The redstone dust connects horizontally in this direction.|
|The redstone dust connects diagonally upwards in this direction.|
|The redstone dust's current power level.|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
||Dispense With This||Construct a Dispenser.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||20G||Silver|
|1.0.1||Added "Red Ore Dust" (item) and red ore dust (block). Red ore dust in its item form is used to craft redstone torches.|
|1.0.2_01||Red ore dust now won't connect through solid blocks diagonally down.|
|Art tweaks to the dust.|
|Walking on redstone dust no longer breaks it.|
|Redstone dust now gives off particles.|
|1.0.4||Renamed to Redstone.|
|In this version or prior, added redstone to dungeon chests.|
|1.1.0||Redstone is now used to craft compasses.|
|1.2.0||Redstone is now used to craft clocks.|
|1.2||Redstone is now used to craft dispensers and note blocks.|
|1.3||Redstone dust will get darker the farther away it is from a source of power. (previously, it was fully on until it reached its limit)|
|Redstone is now used to craft redstone repeaters.|
|1.5||Redstone dust can be placed on snow.|
|Redstone is now used to craft powered rails and detector rails.|
|1.6.6||Changed the material of glowstone from "glass" to "stone", allowing redstone dust to be placed on it.|
|1.7||Redstone dust now will connect to a repeater without the dust being explicitly pointed at it.|
|Redstone is now used to craft pistons.|
|1.8||pre1||Redstone can be found in the new stronghold storeroom chests, and in the new mineshaft chests.|
|1.0||Beta 1.9-pre3||Redstone can now be brewed in a water bottle to create a mundane potion.|
|It can now be found in the new stronghold altar chests.|
|It now extends the potions of Fire Resistance, Slowness, Swiftness, Poison, Weakness and Strength.|
|Beta 1.9-pre4||Redstone now extends the new potion of Regeneration.|
|1.0.0-RC1||Changed redstone dust placement on one block from a "+" to a "•" shape.|
|1.2.1||12w07a||Redstone is now used to craft redstone lamps.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Redstone is now obtainable via trading.|
|12w22a||Redstone dust now generates in jungle temples.|
|12w25a||Redstone dust can now be placed on top of upside-down slabs and stairs.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Redstone now extends the new potions of Night Vision and Invisibility.|
|12w38a||Witches are added. They sometimes drop redstone when killed.|
|1.5||13w01a||Redstone is now used to craft blocks of redstone and droppers.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Redstone now extends the new potion of Water Breathing.|
|13w37a||Block ID 55 (redstone wire) was removed from the |
|1.8||14w25a||Redstone dust no longer changes to obsidian when lava flows into it.|
|14w27a||Redstone now extends the new potion of Leaping.|
|1.9||15w31a||Redstone can no longer be added to extended potions or tier-II potions.|
|15w44a||Cut average yield from dungeon chests by more than half, and increased yield from mineshaft chests.|
|15w46a||The hitbox now only covers part of the surface of of the block below, based on the orientation of the redstone.|
|1.11||16w39a||Redstone dust can now be found in woodland mansions.|
|Redstone is now used to craft observers.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 2||Redstone is now dropped when mined from redstone ore. It can be used to craft compasses, clocks and powered rails.|
|0.11.0||build 1||Redstone is now used to craft redstone blocks.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added redstone to the creative inventory.|
|0.13.0||build 1||Redstone dust can now be placed.|
|Redstone is now used to craft redstone lamps, note blocks, detector rails and redstone torches.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Redstone is now used to craft dispensers and droppers.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Redstone is now used to craft pistons and observers.|
|1.1||build 1||Redstone dust can now be found in woodland mansions.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added redstone.|
|TU3||Redstone dust now will connect to a repeater without the dust being explicitly pointed at it.|
Issues relating to “Redstone”, “Redstone dust”, or ”Redstone wire“ are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.