Grass, Fern, Double variants: Yes
Grass, Fern or Shrub: tallgrass
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Natural generation[edit | edit source]
Grass and double tall grass generate on grass blocks in most biomes that generate grass.
Ferns and large ferns occur naturally only in jungle, taiga, cold taiga and mega taiga biomes.
Shrubs, though identical in appearance to the dead bushes found in deserts and mesas, do not naturally generate.
Bone meal[edit | edit source]
Bone meal can be used on a grass block to grow grass and occasionally flowers on it and in its vicinity. It can also be used on either tall grass or a fern to create a double tall grass or large fern, respectively.
Shrubs[edit | edit source]
A shrub looks identical to the dead bush, except that it will occasionally drop seeds instead of sticks, and is randomly offset from the center of its block like grass.[Java Edition only] It can be obtained using
/give @p minecraft:tallgrass 1 0.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
All variants of grass have a 1/8 chance of dropping seeds when broken without using shears.
Flower pots[edit | edit source]
Ferns can be placed in flower pots.
Data values[edit | edit source]
Grass is defined by its ID and block data. Grass also has a block state which is expected to replace the functionality of block data in a future version.
ID[edit | edit source]
|Name||ID Name||Block ID|
Block data[edit | edit source]
- See also: Data values
- Block 31 (
- Block 175 (
|8||Top Half of any Large Plant; low three bits 0x7 are derived from the block below.|
Block state[edit | edit source]
- See also: Block states
|The half of the plant contained in this block.|
|The direction the plant is facing. This is currently unused in-game.|
Upper-half blocks are always 'north', and lower-half blocks are always 'east'.
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Tall grass was implemented. Seeds used to be produced by tilling grass blocks prior to this update.
|1.6.6||Bone meal can be used to instantly grow tall grass on grass blocks.|
|1.8||Grass and ferns can now be harvested with shears. Previously, tall grass could not be acquired as an item without the use of external tools. Tall grass in the inventory would appear as its greyscale texture, and would appear as the 'shrub' variety or the dead bush when placed.|
|Swamp biomes have been redesigned and rain forest biomes are removed entirely, so triangular ferns no longer generate.|
|1.0.0||Ferns are available in the creative inventory.|
|1.2.1||12w03a||Ferns generate in jungle biomes.|
|12w05a||Placing a block while selecting grass now overwrites the grass, similar to snow. Previously, grass had to be broken to place blocks in that space.|
Tall grass with a damage value of 3 or higher is still called 'grass', and still has green biome coloring, but is now shaped like a shrub or dead bush.
Added double tall grass and large ferns. Ferns now spawn in taiga and cold taiga biomes.
|1.8||Green colored shrubs (damage value 3 or greater) now look like normal shrubs.|
|1.13||17w47a||Double tall grass has been renamed to tall grass, and it has a new id: |
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Pre-release||Tall grass added, but unobtainable.|
|0.5.0||Now drops seeds, despite remaining unobtainable.|
Tall grass and ferns now generate.
Added double tall grass and large ferns.
|Tall grass and ferns now generate.|
|build 5||Tall grass is no longer flammable.|
|0.11.0||build 14||Double tallgrass and large fern pixels are now square.|
|Tall grass and ferns now have a random height.|
|0.14.0||build 3||Hitboxes of all variants of tall grass no longer occupy an entire block.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
Grass, tall grass and fern added.
|TU7||Added ferns to creative.|
|TU12||Placing a block while selecting grass now overwrites the grass, similar to snow. Previously, grass had to be broken to place blocks in that space.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Grass”, “Fern”, “Double Tallgrass”, or ”Large Fern“ are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Grass cannot be directly set on fire from lightning. However, fire from nearby blocks can spread to it. Oddly enough, the top of grass can be lit but it will not burn this way. When any kind of tall grass is set on fire, the fire seems to hover just over the grass, as if it were a full block.
- Even though ferns do not produce seeds in real life, as they emit spores instead, they can drop seeds if broken.
- Grass is slightly offset from the block it is sitting on (as seen in the second screenshot). This causes fields of grass appear more contiguous and not like dotted patches of hair atop blocks.
- Grass can appear in caves on dirt near lava, and rarely, within a few blocks of bedrock. It can also generate in a village house.
- Using bone meal on grass in a spawn-protected area on a server will still produce tall grass and flowers.
- Placing any block on grass will overwrite the grass, and will not drop seeds.
- When being chased by mobs, hiding in double tallgrass will often cause them to lose sight of players, even if they are a few blocks away. Sugar cane also has this property.
- When the topmost block of tall grass or fern is hit with a sword in creative mode, the particles emitted are that of sunflower block.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Grass appears slightly offset from a grass block.
Grass and ferns in Pocket Edition have a randomly selected height.
Grass growing in an abandoned mineshaft.
Tall grass that was set on fire using flint and steel.
Double tall grass may stump most hostile mobs, such as this Creeper however mobs may be able to attack if they're right next to the player.
References[edit | edit source]