dec: 89 hex: 59 bin: 1011001
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
In redstone circuits
When placing redstone on a glowstone block, being a transparent block, signals can pass from one block to another diagonally. Redstone wire, even though it may appear to connect up the side of a glowstone block and to the wire portion on top, will not send a redstone signal down the glowstone block. This makes glowstone effective for vertical diodes, logic gate designs and space-efficient instant vertical redstone.
Note that upside-down slabs can be used for the same purpose, and are easier to obtain.
|Redstone Lamp||Redstone +
|1.2.0||Glowstone was added.|
|Crafting recipe was 3×3 glowstone dust.
|Drop rate of glowstone dust was 1.|
|Material type began as "glass".|
|1.6.6||Crafting recipe was changed to the current 2×2 glowstone dust.|
|Drop rate of glowstone dust is now increased to 2–4.|
|Material type was changed to "stone", meaning a pickaxe is now needed to drop items and block dependent blocks can now be blocked on the block.|
|1.7.3||Harvesting glowstone required an iron pickaxe or higher.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre5||Changed texture, removing the border on the outside.|
|1.0.0-RC1||Material type is now changed once again to "glass".|
|1.2.1||Redstone can now be placed on glowstone. Redstone wire can now only transmit upwards through it.|
|Glowstone is used to craft redstone lamps.|
|1.3.1||Glowstone now traded by villagers.|
|1.5||13w02a||In texture packs, glowstone uses /textures/blocks/lightgem.png|
|1.7.2||Glowstone can no longer be used to see through blocks.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.5.0||Glowstone was added.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Smooth lighting was removed from glowstone.|
|0.13.0||build 1||Glowstone is now used to craft redstone lamps.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Glowstone was added.|
- Since glowstone blocks become block entities when moved by pistons, this momentarily stops them from giving off light.
- Rarely, glowstone can be found touching the ground if the ceiling it was generated on was extremely low (2-3 blocks of clearance).
- When glowstone is placed 9 or more blocks above ground level (out of its lighting range), the glowstone will actually cast a shadow, despite being a light-emitting block.
- 12w21a GlowstonePurchase.png