Height: 4.0 Blocks
|— Tom Stone|
Ghasts are huge, floating, white hostile mobs that live in The Nether and shoot explosive fireballs at the player. They are the second largest mobs that naturally spawn in the game, the largest being the ender dragon.
To spawn naturally, ghasts require a solid block below them and 5×4×5 free space in order to spawn, and spawn only in the Nether, in any light level. In a single chunk only one ghast can spawn at once, although due to pack spawning the game tries to spawn up to four entities.
Ghasts do not spawn in nether fortresses.
- Ghast Tear (0–1) . Looting increases the maximum ghast tears dropped by one per level, for a maximum of 4 ghast tears with Looting III.
- Gunpowder (0–2) . Looting increases the maximum gunpowder dropped by one per level, for a maximum of 5 gunpowder with Looting III.
- 5 experience points when killed by the player.
Ghasts float around the Nether with their eyes and mouth closed and periodically make sounds that sound like moaning/crying, opening their eyes and mouth when attacking. They emit a loud screech when attacking the player and scream loudly when taking damage. The sounds that ghasts make have a minimum intensity regardless of their distance, meaning that they can sound closer than they actually are. They have a size of 4×4×4 blocks, as well as 9 tentacles about the size of a player, although longer and thinner. The tentacles are not part of the ghast's hitbox.
Ghasts have a search range of 100 blocks, an explosive attack and mobility. Unlike most other aggressive mobs, the ghast does not have a pursuit mode - it does not attempt to draw closer to the player when at long range (and likewise is not particularly likely to float away). Ghasts can cause other mobs to attack it, but the ghast never targets other mobs; it targets only the player.[Java Edition only] When the player comes within 16 blocks, it opens fire, strafing left and right, and attempts to gain altitude. A ghast flees when hit in Creative.
Ghasts require a line of sight to the player before firing. Any solid blocks (including transparent blocks) can interfere with the line of sight.
If the player is able to fly inside an aggressive ghast, it may die of shooting fireballs at itself. They are also careless about being hurt by blasts from short-range shots.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Playing conditions unknown)||?||?||0.5||?|
Ghasts have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
The ghast's fireball attack has a straight trajectory unaffected by gravity and a theoretically infinite range, although it disappears after 1 minute. Fireballs do not track the player once fired, are slow, and can be deflected if the player hits them with a projectile, fishing lure or melee attack. At close range, it is one of the most powerful mob attacks in Minecraft, fourth only to the explosion of a creeper, the melee attack of an iron golem, and the explosion of a wither. A direct hit deals 6 projectile damage from the impact, and up to 9, 17 × 8.5, or 25 × 12.5 explosion damage from the blast, depending on difficulty. When two ghast fireballs collide, one is deflected to a random direction while the other explodes upon impact. Blocks are also set on fire by the explosion. If a ghast is killed, fireballs launched by that ghast disappear. A fireball deals 1,000 damage (500 hearts) to a ghast if the fireball was rebounded by a player.
The minimum blast resistance required to absorb all blast force of the ghast's fireballs is 20.17 (about the equivalent of a cobweb). Ghast fireballs therefore cannot damage cobblestone, which has a blast resistance of 30.
Ghast fireballs are also entities that have associated entity data.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- direction: List of 3 doubles. Should be identical to Motion.
- life: Increments each tick when the projectile is not moving; resets to 0 if it moves. Has no effect, though is still saved/read
- power: List of 3 doubles that adds to
directionevery tick. Act as the acceleration.
- Item: The item to render as, may be absent.
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/itemnoslot/template
- ExplosionPower: The power and size of the explosion created by the fireball upon impact. Default value 1.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Return to Sender||Destroy a Ghast with a fireball||Kill a ghast using a ghast fireball.||Yes||PS3||Yes||Yes||30G||Gold|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Return to Sender||Destroy a Ghast with a fireball||Nether||Kill a ghast using a ghast fireball.|
|Uneasy Alliance||Rescue a Ghast from the Nether, bring it safely home to the Overworld... and then kill it||Return to Sender||Kill a Ghast in the Overworld.|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 25 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Take Aim||Shoot something with a bow and arrow||Monster Hunter||Using a bow, shoot an entity with an arrow or tipped arrow. In Java Edition 1.15,[upcoming] spectral arrows can also be used.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 25 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.2.0||October 11, 2010||Notch tweets that he is working on "the most unfair mob ever," adding that "you will hate the Ghast."|
|October 22, 2010||Originally, ghasts were intended to be able to spawn near Nether portals in the Overworld. However, this ability was not implemented.|
|October 29, 2010||A preview of the Halloween Update was sent to two gaming companies; their articles highlighted the behavior of the upcoming ghast mobs.|
|preview||Added ghasts, along with the Nether.|
|Ghasts appear to expand slightly before shooting a fireball, similarly to a creeper about to explode. However, this effect does not work in multiplayer.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.7||Ghasts now aim towards the player and not the camera. Prior to this, pressing F5 (going into third person view) allowed one to easily send the fireball over their head instead of at the character.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Ghasts now drop ghast tears.|
|Ghasts are now affected by light and no longer appear with the same brightness anywhere.|
|The ghast fireball texture has now been updated to a new fire charge () texture. They previously used the snowball () texture, set on fire.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5||Ghasts can now be killed by their own fireballs, allowing the achievement "Return to Sender."|
|1.1||?||As heard in |
|1.2.1||12w05a||The ghast hit box has now been updated to incorporate their whole body. Prior to this, ghasts could be injured only by hitting their tentacles and lower body.|
|1.3.1||12w19a||Ghasts now make their kill sound when killed rather than their pain sound.|
|As a result of the client/server split, ghasts no longer visibly expand before shooting a fireball in singleplayer.|
|1.8||14w06a||The AI of ghasts has now been slightly changed. They cannot see the player unless their height comes to almost eye level with the player. When attacking, ghasts now turn their whole body to face the player's direction, and repeatedly strafe left to right around the player while attacking. They now have perfect accuracy with their fireballs, shooting at the player's head, compared to earlier versions when the fireball was previously aimed slightly above the player's head.|
|The (broken) code to make ghasts visibly expand while shooting has now been removed.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|The projectile entity ID has now been changed from |
|16w40a||The tags |
|The ghast |
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of ghasts has now been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 2||Added ghasts.|
|Ghasts are currently unobtainable in-game without editing.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Ghasts can now be spawned using spawn eggs.|
|Ghasts now spawn naturally in the Nether.|
|build 6||Ghasts now hit the player more reliably.|
|build 7||Ghasts now drop gunpowder and ghast tears.|
|build 8||The hitbox of ghasts is now bigger.|
|build 13||Ghasts now have sounds.|
|0.13.0||build 1||The spawn rate of ghasts has now been increased.|
|build 4||The spawn rate of ghasts has now been increased even more.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Open ghast eyes now glow.|
|1.1.0||alpha 220.127.116.11||The entity ID for the fireball has now been changed from |
|1.10.0||beta 18.104.22.168||The texture of ghasts has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added ghasts.|
|TU9||The volume of the ghast sound effects has now been reduced.|
|The distance the ghast's sound effect for shooting a fireball can be heard from has now been increased.|
|TU11||The volume of the ghast sound effects has now been further reduced.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of ghasts has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- The player can go inside of a ghast by falling through the top of it or flying up underneath it. If the player stands on top of the head, the player see inside of it.
- If a ghast is trapped in a 1-thick cube, it shoots fireballs through the cube. This is because all mobs that shoot spawn the projectile one block in front of it to prevent the projectile from hitting the mob.
- On rare occasions, a ghast spawns in such a way as to see through blocks (usually trapped on all sides in a tight area). When this happens and the ghast has "line of sight" through those blocks, it launches a fireball in the player's direction.
- Ghasts can be killed in one shot by any bow with at least Power I, if you charge the bow fully.
- C418 revealed in an AMA on Reddit that ghast sounds are taken from his pet cat, which he makes when disturbed while sleeping.
- Two ghasts are featured in the LEGO set "Minecraft Micro World - The Nether", along with a Zombie Pigman.
- Iron golems do not fight ghasts unless they are very close to them, even in this case it's rare.
- When killed with its own fireball, the ghast turns orange rather than red. This is because the ghast is set on fire.[Bedrock Edition only]
- Splash potions affect ghasts only when hitting them on their lower half.
- Despite not having visible feet, ghasts are still capable of making footstep sounds.
- In snapshots 13w02a (for Java Edition 1.5), and 13w24a (for Java Edition 1.6.1) the fireball texture was replaced with a diamond helmet, and an end portal frame, respectively.
- Ghasts are the only non-undead mob that withers are not hostile toward.
- This is due to the fact that Ghast Fireballs are technically entities that despawn after 1 minute.