Height: 1.7 Blocks
Light level of 7 or less
|“||These lanky lime horrors will gaze upon you with a look of utmost sadness. You'll soon have a similar facial expression, if you let it get close.||„|
Creepers naturally spawn in the Overworld on top of solid blocks with a light level of 7 or less.
Creepers drop when killed:
- A random
Music Disc if killed by a
Creeper Head if killed by a charged creeper
Creepers will chase after any player, as long as it is within a 16 block (±5%) radius and ±4 blocks vertically. The detection range of creepers is reduced to half of their normal range (8 blocks) when the player is wearing a creeper mob head.[Java Edition only]
Creepers can climb up ladders and vines like any other mob, but do not do so intentionally.
When within three blocks of a player, a creeper will stop moving, hiss loudly, start flashing and inflating, and explode after 1.5 seconds. A creeper's detonation can be halted if the player gets out of the blast radius (7 blocks), including by knocking back the creeper or killing it. Creepers can be forced to explode by using a flint and steel.
Creepers will flee from ocelots and cats if one is too close, until they are approximately 16 blocks away from the feline(s).
A creeper's explosion has a power of 3 (but see an exception below).
Creepers are never targeted by any mobs, other than the wither, the snow golem, and the vindicator named "Johnny." If they are hit by a stray projectile, they will only retaliate if they are not already chasing a player.
A charged creeper is created only when lightning strikes within 3–4 blocks of a normal creeper, which significantly increases its explosive power. Charged creepers are distinguished from normal creepers by the blue aura surrounding them.
Their countdown timers are the same as normal creepers, both in terms of range and time. With a power of 6, an explosion caused by a charged creeper is twice as powerful as the explosion caused by a regular creeper (see image). How close the creeper was to the lightning strike will not affect the size of the explosion.
Charged creepers have the same entity ID as normal creepers. The only difference is that the value of the boolean "powered" tag is set to "1" (true).
Charged creeper explosions will cause a zombie, skeleton, wither skeleton, or other creeper to drop the corresponding mob head, one per explosion. However, they will not drop their own head.
- See also: Chunk format
Creepers have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
powered: 1 or 0 (true/false) - May not exist. True if the creeper is charged from being struck by lightning.
ExplosionRadius: The radius of the explosion itself, default 3.
Fuse: States the initial value of the creeper's internal fuse timer (does not affect creepers that fall and explode upon impacting their victim). The internal fuse timer will return to this value if the creeper is no longer within attack range. Default 30.
ignited: 1 or 0 (true/false) - Whether the creeper has been ignited by a Flint and Steel.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
||Archer||Kill a creeper with arrows.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||10G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 22 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 22 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|0.24_SURVIVAL_TEST||August 31, 2009||Creepers were first introduced, based on a failed pig model Notch had created (he mixed up the length and height of the body). They were the first mob added in Survival Test.|
|September 1, 2009||The texture given to the creeper was, at first, a darker shade of green that flashed to a lighter shade upon being hit. Creepers behaved much like zombies did at the time, hopping around randomly until spotting the player. Their melee attacks dealt only 4 () worth of damage rather than the zombies' 6 (). When killed, the creeper would "lie down" and cause a 4×4×4 spherical explosion that left a sizable crater, destroying plenty of blocks (with the exception of stone) and severely hurting any players nearby. The creeper was worth 250 points when killed, but this was later decreased to 200 points.|
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 3||Creeper explosions no longer destroy stone or stone-like blocks.|
|Explosions leave smoldering.|
|1.2.0||Creepers have a new damage sound.|
|1.4||The 'A' in the Minecraft logo now includes a creeper face.|
|1.5||Creepers become charged when struck by lightning, increasing the explosion's radius and strength.|
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Creepers are much more deadly and will definitely kill an unarmored player if in a radius of 4 to 5 blocks around the creeper. This damage is also difficulty-independent.|
|Sound Update||Creeper explosions have a new sound.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre5||Creepers and other hostile mobs no longer attack the player in Creative mode unless provoked.|
|1.2.1||As part of the AI overhaul, creepers no longer attack other mobs. They would also no longer strafe towards the left of the player, now stopping in front of the player.|
|1.3.1||12w30a||Creepers were made stronger. Depending on difficulty, creeper damage is scaled now with Easy: ~50% less damage, Normal: same damage as before, and Hard: ~33% more damage than before. In full diamond armor and hard difficulty a creeper can knock players down to 2 hearts.|
|1.4.2||12w38b||New creeper fall mechanics; creepers will explode if they fall on the player from a certain height.|
|1.6.1||13w18a||Creepers no longer explode when hit in Creative mode.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Creepers can be forcibly exploded using flint and steel.|
|1.8||14w05a||Players can now see from the perspective of a creeper in spectator mode. A creeper shader is applied, and the player is limited to the creeper's movements.|
|14w11a||Witches, zombies, skeletons, spiders, cave spiders, zombie pigmen and other creepers will run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|14w30a||Charged creepers now cause zombies, skeletons, wither skeletons, and other creepers to drop heads.|
|14w30b||Each charged creeper will cause the drop of only one head, even if multiple head-dropping mobs are killed.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||Mobs no longer run from creepers that are about to explode.|
|No longer attack iron golems.|
|1.9||15w32a||The detection range of creepers is halved when the player is wearing a creeper mob head.|
|15w33c||The detection range for players wearing the creeper mob head is adjusted, now 37.5% of the normal range.|
|15w36a||The detection range for players wearing the creeper mob head is again 50% of the normal range.|
|15w39a||Creepers are now slightly shorter (1.7 blocks tall rather than 1.8).|
|15w51a||Creepers no longer drop music discs when gamerule |
|1.11||16w32a||Creepers that explode while having a potion effect will now leave behind an area effect cloud having that effect.|
|Changed creepers save game ID from |
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.4.0||Creepers added (with old explosion sounds).|
|0.7.4||Tapping and holding flint and steel on a creeper will cause it to automatically explode.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Creepers no longer float 2 pixels off the ground.|
|build 2||An ignite button is now used to automatically explode a creeper when holding flint and steel, instead of tapping and holding.|
|build 8||Creepers now use the new AI.|
|build 9||Creepers use the old AI again because of them walking faster and not detonating.|
|0.9.2||Creepers now have a correct explosion range.|
|Fixed detonation time (would previously explode almost instantly).|
|0.11.0||Creepers can now climb ladders.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Creepers use the new AI again.|
|Creepers become charged when struck by lightning, increasing the explosion's radius and strength.|
|Creepers now have the new explosion sound.|
|Creepers now have the flashing animation.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Creepers are now slightly shorter (1.7 blocks tall rather than 1.8).|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Patch 1||Added Creepers.|
|TU5||Added charged creepers.|
|TU12||Creepers no longer attack other mobs. Before this update, a creeper shot by a skeleton would attack the skeleton, creating a crater in the process.|
|TU14||1.04||Creepers were made stronger. Depending on difficulty, creeper damage is scaled now with Easy: ~50% less damage, Normal: same damage as before, and Hard: ~33% more damage than before. In full diamond armor and hard difficulty a creeper can knock players down to 2 hearts.|
|Creepers are now aggressive towards the last player that hit them.|
|Increased knockback effect of creeper explosions.|
|Creepers will explode if they fall on players from a certain height.|
|TU24||CU12||1.16||The flashing animation was updated.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Creepers can be forcibly exploded using flint and steel.|
|Creepers drop a mob head when killed by a charged creeper.|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||Patch 4||Creepers that explode while having a potion effect will now leave behind an area effect cloud having that effect.|
Issues relating to “Creeper” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Notch stated on Twitter that "I imagine [Creepers] as being made out of leaves or similar. I'm not sure why they explode."
- In SMP, if a creeper is attacked by another player, and the other player runs out of sight, it will not attack any other players.
- When about to detonate, creepers will cease movement and its head will face directly forward.
- When asked how creepers trigger their explosive nature, Dinnerbone said "They're so nervous that they shake a lot, and then this sets them off the same way as how rubbing two sticks makes fire".
- If the player is at full health, a creeper blast at point-blank range for a player with full iron armor on hard difficulty will knock them down to 1 () health. The actual amount of health left is 1/20th of a heart.
- Creepers are faster when fleeing cats than when chasing players.
- If a charged creeper is given invisibility, the "aura" effect will still be visible.
- If a player or another mob is standing on the same block as a charged creeper when it explodes, they will have experienced the greatest amount of damage any mob in the game can do at one time.
Creepers have a formidable reputation in the community because of their potential to hurt players and destroy structures. Their distinct appearance and destructive abilities have made them a widely-recognizable Minecraft icon. Creepers are referenced in several of the items available at the Minecraft merchandise depot, and have become an internet meme complete with fan art, web comic references, and demotivational posters. A central part of the meme is the creeper's unofficial catchphrase derived from the mob's tendency to sneak up on the player and hiss before detonating:
"That'sssss a very nice <random valuable object> you've got there... It'd be a ssssshame if anything were to happen to it..."
Creepers have been portrayed in many Minecraft products including but not limited to:
- Stuffed toys.
- Action figures.
- The creeper anatomy T-shirt reveals the insides of a creeper, and also reveals its scientific name: Creepus Explodus.
- LEGO Minecraft
- Minecraft Facebook profile image
- In the goodie-bags given out at Minecon 2011, creepers were given as a fold-able and tapable decoration for ones room or collection, along with diamond and grass.
- Several creepers have appeared on TV during episodes of the TV show Mad (Criminal Minecraft and ThunderLolcats ) In ThunderLolcats they use the catchphrase, saying "That'ssss.. a nice wall you've got there."
- YouTube hosts many videos that feature creepers, including review videos, "Let's Play"'s, cartoons, and cameos in many other videos. When searching for the query "Minecraft Creeper", YouTube returns over 1,500,000 videos.
- In Borderlands 2, creepers appear in a mineshaft in the most north-west part of Caustic Caverns, including dirt, coal ore, stone, gold ore, and a "Badass creeper" that is twice the strength and size of a regular Creeper.
- In Airmech, creepers appear as a unit "skin" for the suicide bomber unit the boomer. Creepers can be either green, blue, or red, depending on the color of the team that makes them.
- In Octodad: Dadliest Catch, a creeper head is seen on a shelf in the grocery store along with 2 Pickaxes and some grass blocks. It is part of a collection known as "Mintcraft".
- In Awesomenauts, one of the playable characters (Clunk) has a "skin" referencing the creeper, complete with hissing and explode sound effects.
- Seen as a Halloween costume in a game called Terraria.
- In Stealing the Diamond, when Henry Stickmin sneaks up to the museum's outer wall with a pickaxe, a Creeper comes up behind him and explodes, destroying part of the wall instead.
- At the far end of the map in Stick RPG2, a smiling creeper can be seen in a hole at ground level.
- One of the things you can hit in Katawa Crash is a creeper.
- In the game Transformice, there is a creeper head that you may purchase as a hat for your mouse.
- In a game called Quube Twodee made by Universal Chicken in Adelaide, Australia, one of the levels has a creeper face.
- PixelJunk Shooter 2 for the PS3 shows a small creeper in the title screen hidden among other enemies native to Shooter 2.
- In a Notch-designed custom level for VVVVVV, "Pyramid Escape", a creeper's face can be seen carved into the background to the far left of the pyramid.
- In Torchlight 2 the creeper plays an important role in an "Easter egg" mission in the cave named "Notch's cave" where the player walks in and sees a group of creeper charging the player then exploding. Near the end of the cave you can find a minecraft skinned sword.
- In a game called Strollin, there is a purchasable creeper item, which makes bombs throw you farther.
- In the mobile game Geometry Dash, beating level 16 "Hexagon Force" on normal mode rewards the player a creeper face cube. This can also be colored to make it look like a normal one.
- When asked to describe the physical texture of a creeper, Notch said they would feel "crunchy, like dry leaves".
- On Monday, June 18, 2012, a creeper was sent above the clouds into space.
In Other Media
Creeper as it appears in Minecraft: Story Mode
Creeper and Steve micromobs from official LEGO Minecraft
Creeper minifigure from official LEGO Minecraft
A Minecraft creeper backpack from ThinkGeek
Official poppable 5-inch Creeper figure by JINX
Official creeper scarf by JINX