Height: 0.5 Blocks
The cave spider is a neutral mob that can inflict poisoning.
Cave spiders inherit most of their behavior from regular spiders:
- They are pacified (made neutral) by bright light (daylight or light levels of 9 or higher) but will continue attacking regardless of light change once hostile. Subjecting them to darkness will render them hostile.
- They can climb walls when needed.
- They attack by leaping at the player.
- They are unaffected by cobwebs or poison.
- Can fit through a space that is 1 block wide and half a block tall.
- Runs much faster than spiders[Pocket Edition only].
- Can go through the spaces between Nether Brick and Normal Fences.
Unlike regular spiders, they do not spawn with status effects.
When attacked by a cave spider on normal or hard difficulty, the bitten entity is inflicted with
Poison I. On normal difficulty, the poison lasts for 7 seconds and can cause up to 4 () damage. On hard difficulty, it lasts for 15 seconds and can cause up to 10 () damage. Note that even on hard, poison damage is not taken when health is at 1 ().
- See also: Chunk format
Cave spiders have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.||
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 22 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.||
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 22 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.||
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Added cave spiders.|
|1.0.0||Cave spider's health points reduced from 20 () to 12 ().|
|1.2.1||12w06a||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Cave spiders can no longer draw line of sight through opaque blocks, and have been given the new AI that regular spiders have recieved.|
|14w11a||Now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|?||Cave spiders' venom is no longer neutralized by splash potions of weakness, which may or may not be a bug.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||No longer runs away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID is changed from
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added cave spiders.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cave Spiders now have a walking sound.|
|build 1||Cave Spiders now drop spider eyes.|
|1.1||build 1||The entity ID is changed from
|Poison time from attack is now based on difficulty.|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added cave spiders.|
|TU12||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost motionless against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
Issues relating to “Cave Spider” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- While a cave spiders hitbox is only 13,9% the size of a normal spider, its model is 34,3% as large. The shadow is even larger, compared to the normal spiders one it has a size of 49%.
A Cave spider and its spawner.