15 × 7.5
|Items usable on|
A zombie horse is an unused variant of the regular horse.
Zombie horses may be created by the
/summon command or with their spawn egg.
When using a spawn egg, 20% spawn as foals.
Zombie horses appear to be the horse equivalent of zombies. Like zombies, zombie horses are green-skinned, and their eyes are completely black.
Upon death, zombie horses drop:
- 0-2 Rotten Flesh. The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 with Looting III.
- 1–3 when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
If saddled, they drop their saddle.
Tamed and saddled zombie horses can be used as one of the fastest means of transportation in the game. They can also be used to climb hills and jump fences. Since Java Edition 1.13, a bug has existed preventing them from being ridden in water; if the player passenger is completely submerged, they are immediately kicked off of the horse.
Zombie horses have a lone equipment slot.
- Saddle slot: For equipping a saddle.
Once a horse is tamed and saddled, the player can control it with directional controls, jump, and the mouse. The player dismounts using the dismount control.
In Java Edition, when riding a horse, the hunger bar is replaced by the horse's health in Survival or Adventure mode. in Bedrock Edition, hunger isn't replaced by horse's health. It uses a different heart texture than the player's health bar. The experience bar is replaced by the horse jump bar.
A player can use any item while riding a horse, including drinking or throwing potions; activating doors or redstone devices; using chests, crafting tables, and furnaces; breaking and placing blocks; and attacking with melee weapons or bows.
A ridden horse automatically runs up any one-block-high slope. The horse and rider can safely fit through a space as low as 2.75 blocks high. Lower clearance risks suffocating the rider if the rider's head enters a non-transparent block. The horse itself can enter gaps as low as 1.625 blocks high, but may itself take suffocation damage when clearance is less than 1.75 blocks. Horses cannot fit through a 1-block-wide gap.
When a player rides a zombie horse, both are unable to use Nether portals.
Zombie horses roam idly, occasionally stopping to rear, swish their tails, or lower their heads as though eating the grass. Unlike sheep, the eating animation does not actually cause any grass to be consumed. If a player comes near, the horses may turn to look at them.
Unlike other passive mobs, zombie horses slowly regenerate health. Zombie horses, in common with other undead mobs, take damage when affected by a Potion of Healing and are healed by a Potion of Harming.
Zombie horses are spawned with constant health of 15, speed of 0.2, and have a jump strength ranging from 0.4–1.0, tending toward the average 0.7.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Zombie Horse cries||?||?||?||?||16||?||?||?||?||?|
|Zombie Horse dies||?||?||?||?||16||?||?||?||?||?|
|Zombie Horse hurts||?||?||?||?||16||?||?||?||?||?|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Zombie horses have entity data associated with them that contain various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed see Template:Nbt inherit/breedable/template
- Bred: 1 or 0 (true/false) – Unknown. Remains 0 after breeding. If true, causes it to stay near other horses with this flag set.
- EatingHaystack: 1 or 0 (true/false) – true if the horse is grazing.
- Tame: 1 or 0 (true/false) – true if the horse is tamed.
- Temper: Ranges from 0 to 100; increases with feeding. Higher values make a horse easier to tame.
- Owner: The UUID of the player that tamed the horse, stored as four ints. Has no effect on behavior. Does not exist if there is no owner.
- ArmorItem: The armor item worn by this horse. May not exist.
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/item/template
- SaddleItem: The saddle item worn by this horse. May not exist. (Non-player mobs cannot control a tamed horse if it has no saddle.)
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/item/template
|1.6.1||13w16a||Added zombie horses.|
|Zombie horses have been assisted by DrZhark (John Olarte), creator of the Mo' Creatures mod, whose horses are a baseline for Minecraft's zombie horse models.|
|13w16b||Zombie horses have now been made slower and have been reduced from gliding so much.|
|13w18a||Horse saddles have now been removed. Zombie horses are now ridden using the saddle.|
|13w21a||New GUI for zombie horses, to control the saddle, has been added.|
|13w22a||New sound effects for zombie horses have been added.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Zombie horses are now available without third-party tools, with the introduction of the |
|1.9||15w43a–44b||The drops of zombie horses have now been changed several times. The end result is that zombie horses now always drop 1 rotten flesh, not affected by Looting.|
|15w47b||Sounds for zombie horses eating food given by a player have now been added.|
|1.10||16w20a||Added zombie horse spawn egg.|
|pre2||Zombie horse spawn eggs have now been removed.|
|1.11||16w32a||Zombie horses now have a separate ID from horses: |
|Re-added zombie horse spawn egg.|
|16w38a||Zombie horses now drop 0–2 rotten flesh, affected by Looting.|
|1.13||17w45a||The model for zombie horses has now been changed.|
|17w46a||The new zombie horse models have now been slightly tweaked. The position of the nose has now been moved up to one pixel.|
|18w03a||The models of zombie horses have now been changed, once again. Also, the textures of zombie horses have now been slightly altered and the nose heights have been increased by one pixel.|
|pre2||Zombie horses now sink in water.|
|The model of zombie horses has now been updated to fix serious Z-fighting, which has changed the model from to .|
|1.14||19w08a||The textures of zombie horses have now been changed.|
|1.16||20w09a||Zombie horses can now be leashed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added zombie horses.|
|1.1.0||alpha 18.104.22.168||The entity ID for zombie horses has now been changed from |
|1.2.9||Zombie horses no longer open their mouths when bucking the player off or taking damage.|
|1.8.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Baby zombie horses now have a chance of being spawned using a spawn egg.|
|1.10.0||The textures of zombie horses have now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Zombie horses are able to be spawned with a spawn egg found in the creative inventory.|
|TU57||CU49||1.56||Patch 27||1.0.7||Zombie horses can now be tamed and leashed.|
|1.90||The textures of zombie horses have now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added zombie horses.|
- Dr. Zhark appears in the credits after the End Poem as the creator of the horses, including zombie horses.
- If a player pulling a zombie horse with a lead enters a boat, the zombie horse swims after them at the same speed as the boat.
- A player riding a zombie horse is dragged along if their zombie horse is being pulled by a lead, and can even be lifted up in the air in the same way.
- Zombie horses, along with skeleton horses, are the only passive mobs to be considered undead.
- The texture for zombie horses contains an unused saddlebag.