Xbox 360 Edition
Digital - Marketplace
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition is the Xbox 360 edition of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios in conjunction with Mojang Studios and Microsoft Studios. It was announced at the 2011 E3 conference by Notch and Microsoft, and was released alongside a free trial version on May 9, 2012 on Xbox Live Arcade. It is priced at $19.99.
On June 4, 2013, Microsoft released the first retail disc of Xbox 360 Edition with a free gold membership. It cost US$19.99, the same price as the Xbox Arcade version. The game otherwise is identical to the downloadable version. Features such as buying or downloading on Xbox Live are the same for both versions and they both update at the same time. It was released in regions or countries supported by Xbox Live.
The game was showcased as a playable demo at MINECON 2011 and was deemed a 'work in progress'. 4J Studios confirmed that it had all the features of Java Edition Beta 1.6.6 when released, and will later be updated. IGN also filmed a video at MINECON showing that the graphics look very similar to Java Edition.
In October 2011, Microsoft said the release was planned for Spring 2012. On March 22, the official release date was posted by Larry Hryb, the Director of Programming for Xbox Live, as May 9, and a few days before the game release, HatFilms released "the official trailer" for Xbox 360 Edition.
The game was officially released on May 9, 2012, and set a new sales records on the Xbox Live Arcade, selling more copies in the first twenty four hours of launch than previous titles.
The retail disc version was released on June 4, 2013, being exactly the same as the arcade version, with the exception of internet requirement to play.
4J Studios has produced Skin Packs as downloadable content. Each Skin Pack includes ~45 skins to choose from. The first Skin Pack, Skin Pack 1, was released July 16, 2012 at a cost of US$1.99. The Skin Pack contains characters from Xbox 360 games, such as Master Chief from Halo. The Skin Pack also include various original designs created by 4J Studios. On Minecraft Xbox 360's birthday the player can download special skin packs for free. There are many more skin packs added. One is a Christmas Themed Skin Pack. There is also a Marvel Skin Pack, a Spider-Man Skin Pack and Animal Skin Packs. In total there are more than 10 skin packs.
In default settings, the controls are always displayed on the HUD.
- - Jump (double tap to fly while in Creative)
- - Drop item
- - Open crafting menu in Survival mode or creative inventory in Creative
- - Open inventory
- - Place block/use item
- - Mine/use block or item
- / - Change the selected block
- - Move
- (Moved forward twice in rapid succession) - Sprint
- - Change camera angle.
- - Look
- - Sneak/walk, descend while flying in Creative mode, dismount an entity
- Interface (Crafting/Smelting/Brewing/Inventory)
- - Pickup/Drop item
- - Exit interface
- - Take half of the highlited stack/show information about the selected block or item
- - Move selected stack to Chest/Brewing stand, move between inventory and hotbar.
- / - Move pointer/change selected item.
Marvel Skin Packs Bundle
The Minecraft Marvel Skin Packs Bundle was released on November 30, 2015, and contains all of the Marvel Skin Packs:
The bundle was meant to be a discount for the Marvel Skin Packs. On December 22, 2015, the bundle was removed from the Xbox Marketplace, thus being no longer available for the Xbox One and the Xbox 360. This bundle costed $6.99 and was available in the Xbox One and the Xbox 360. The Marvel Skin Packs from the bundle still transfer to Bedrock Edition, but they are not usable in online or LAN multiplayer.
Awards and unlockables
- Steve Gamerpic - Mine redstone for the first time
- Creeper Gamerpic - Kill 10 Creepers
- Minecraft Exclusive (Wood) Theme - Share a picture on Facebook
- A Minecraft Watch - Play through 100 day to night cycles
- I Porkchop Minecraft T-shirt - Make a cooked porkchop
- Creeper Cap - Kill a Creeper with arrows
- Xbox 360 Edition was added to the Xbox Arcade download section in November 2011, although it was only possible to download the ""It's here!" trailer". Nonetheless, the entry held very high ratings.
- There are also Minecraft-themed Xbox Live avatar items available. Among these are Minecraft shirts, pets, items, props, head wear, dashboard themes, and gamer pics, all of which range from $1/£0.64 to $2.99/£1.92 in price.
- "Minecraft Xbox 360: the five greatest technical challenges" (archived) . – Official Xbox Magazine, May 25, 2012
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition PEGI Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition ESRB Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition ACB Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition DEJUS Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition DEJUS Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition USK rating
- "Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition"
- "Update Aquatic Coming To Legacy Console Editions" – Minecraft.net, May 3, 2018
- "You can expect some more details at Minecon and post Minecon with regards to features and differences between the PC and Xbox." – @newbreedofnerd, October 24, 2011
- "XBLA Commentary Video" – IGN, November 18, 2011.
- "They ported Oblivion to PS3 and Perfect Dark to Xbox360! It's 4J Studios" – @notch, June 15, 2011
- "Oh neat, I can announce the team implementing Minecraft for Xbox360! Part of their team made State of Emergency!" – @notch, June 15, 2011
- "Guess what I got from @4JStudios? That's right! First super early version of Minecraft Xbox :)" (archived) . – @Kappische, September 7, 2011
- "Minecraft for Xbox 360 pushed to spring 2012" – GameSpot, October 25, 2011
- "Announcing ‘Arcade Next'" – Major Nelson, March 22, 2012
- "Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition is the fastest selling game on Xbox Live Arcade" – Polygon, May 10, 2012
- "Minecraft Xbox 360 Controls Are Surprisingly Not Terrible" – GameFront, November 18, 2011
- "Minecraft Marvel Skin Packs Bundle"
- "Today is the last day the #MinecraftXbox1 & #MinecraftXbox360 Marvel Skin Packs will be available in the Xbox Store." – @4JStudios, December 21, 2015