Splash Potion of Harming:
Height: 1.95 Blocks
See § Drops
|This page would benefit from the addition of isometric renders.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable isometric renders to the article. The specific instructions are: Potion types
A single witch can spawn anywhere in the Overworld at a light level of 7 or less.
Every swamp hut spawns a witch and a black cat inside during world generation, which never despawns. Otherwise, only witches (which may despawn) spawn in the 7×9×7 area that is the witch hut. This is the size of the roof and one block over the porch, from one level below the floor of the hut to two blocks above the roof.
Witch huts generated before 1.8.1 have a spawn zone of only 7×9×5. Witch huts spawned on high ground also have a reduced or eliminated spawn zone height.
When lightning strikes within 4 blocks of an adult villager or baby villager it will be turned into a witch.
- Glass bottles (12.5% chance)
- Glowstone dust (12.5% chance)
- Gunpowder (12.5% chance)
- Redstone (12.5% chance)
- Spider eyes (12.5% chance)
- Sugar (12.5% chance)
- Sticks (25% chance)
- They make 1–3 drops of 0–2 items each, for a maximum of 6 items total.
Each level of Looting increases the maximum items dropped by one for each of the 1–3 drops, leading to a maximum of 5 items per drop, and a maximum of 15 items total.
They drop 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Witches have an 8.5% chance to drop a potion as an equipment drop if killed while drinking that potion.
They drop one of the following:
Looting increases the chance by 1% per level.
Each potion is thrown in a 2 seconds interval.
- They throw a splash potion of slowness if the player is at least 8 blocks away and does not already have the Slowness status effect. This effect lasts for a maximum of 1 minute 29 seconds.
- They throw a splash potion of poison if the player's health is at least 8 and is not already poisoned. This effect lasts for a maximum of 44 seconds.
- They have a 25% chance of throwing a splash potion of Weakness if the player is within 3 blocks and does not already have the Weakness status effect. This effect lasts for a maximum of 1 minute 29 seconds.
- If none of the above conditions are true, witches default to using a splash potion of harming, that causes 6 magical damage.
On each AI tick (0.05 second) when the witch is not already drinking a potion, it may choose to equip and drink a potion. Drinking the potion takes 1.6 seconds and slow down its walking speed. It does not attack during this time.
- When under water and lacking water breathing, there is a 15% chance of drinking a potion of Water Breathing.
- When on fire or the last damage taken in the past 2 seconds was fire damage, and lacking Fire Resistance, 15% chance of drinking a potion of Fire Resistance.
- If damaged, 5% chance of drinking a potion of Healing, which heals 4.
- When 11 or more blocks from a target and lacking Swiftness, 50% chance of drinking a potion of Swiftness.
If raiding witches or other mobs kill all the villagers in a village, they celebrate their victory by jumping and laughing.
They are the only mobs that can fight back against ghasts when hit by their fireballs. Witches can be attacked by undead mobs if they accidentally provoke them using splash potions of poison, weakness, slowness, and harming.
During raids, they spawn at wave 4.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
Witches have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Taste of Your Own Medicine||Poison a witch with a splash potion.||Throw a splash potion of poison at a witch (by facing the witch and pressing the use key).||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||20G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 25 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 25 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|1.4.2||September 13, 2012||Dinnerbone hints that the witch mob would be added in the Pretty Scary Update, and that the witch's texture would be some variation of the villagers'.|
|September 21, 2012||Dinnerbone confirmed a suggestion made by Reddit user Mr_Pennybags in the r/Minecraft subreddit that witches are to live in witch huts.|
|Witches protect themselves from damage by drinking potions.|
|Witches do not naturally spawn, and can only be spawned in Creative mode using spawn eggs.|
|Witches use splash potions, such as Poison, Weakness, Damage and Slowness, to fight the player.|
|Though witches are modeled after villagers, they do not share any attributes of villagers, such as utilizing housing, and are unable to open doors.|
|12w38b||Witches now have common drops, including glass bottles, sticks, redstone dust, glowstone dust, gunpowder, spider eyes and water bottles.|
|Witches can now no longer hurt themselves.|
|The texture of witches has now been changed slightly. Their skin color is now darker.|
|With the texture change of the witch's skin color, witches drinking are now also darker.|
|12w39a||The texture size for the witch has now been changed from 64x126 to 64x128.|
|12w40a||Witches can now spawn in witch huts.|
|Witches no longer drop water bottles.|
|1.6.1||?||The witches' regeneration rate has now been decreased by 2/3.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||Witches can now drink and drop potions of Water Breathing.|
|The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|13w42a||Witches now spawn anywhere where the light level is 7 or less, including any biome at night and in caves.|
|13w42b||The spawn rate for the witch has now been decreased.|
|1.8||14w03a||Villagers struck by lightning now turn into witches.|
|14w11a||Witches now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|14w25a||The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|14w29a||The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|14w30a||The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|14w34d||The witch hut's spawning zone has now been decreased or eliminated, depending on altitude of the hut.|
|1.8.1||pre1||Witches no longer run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|The witch hut's spawning zone height has now been increased by 2.|
|1.9||15w31a||Witches now have a 50% chance of choosing a potion of Swiftness when relevant, instead of a 43.75% chance.|
|The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|15w47b||Added sounds for witches idling, taking damage, dying, drinking and throwing potions.|
|1.10||pre1||Witches now drink a potion of Fire Resistance, if they don't already have the effect and the most recent damage taken (within the past 2 seconds) was fire damage.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of witches has now been changed.|
|With the texture change of witches, witches drinking has now also been changed.|
|18w47a||Witches can now spawn as part of the new raids.|
|18w50a||Witches are now neutral mobs. This was confirmed by Slicedlime to be an unintentional change.|
|The appearance of witches have now been changed, adding a purple hood. This was confirmed by Jasper Boerstra to be an unintentional change.|
|19w02a||The texture changes of the witch from 18w50a have now been reverted.|
|19w13a||If all villagers are killed during a raid, witches now laugh and wave their arms in the air.|
|1.15||19w42a||The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|19w44a||The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed. The potions now float above their arms.|
|19w45a||The drinking potion position of witches has now been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.14.0||build 1||Added witches. The hat model and head position are different from Java's witches.|
|build 2||The model of witches has now been changed.|
|build 3||Witches will now avoid water, unless they have a target.|
|1.2.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Witches now have a 8.5% chance to drop a potion when drinking. Prior to this, they would always drop a potion when drinking.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||The texture of witches has now been changed.|
|1.11.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Witches can now spawn during raids.|
|1.13.0||beta 220.127.116.11||If all villagers are killed during a raid, witches will now laugh and wave their arms in the air.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added witches.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Witches can now drink and drop potions of Water Breathing.|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||Added sounds for witches.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of witches has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- If a witch hits another witch with a potion, the witch who is hit becomes angry and targets the other witch, however it is impossible for either witch to kill the other (without help from a player), due to their use of Healing potions and their resistance to each other's splash potions.
- Witches do not use the equipment in their swamp huts, but they can be used by players.
- The odds of a witch dropping the maximum amount of drops possible (6 items total) without a Looting enchantment are 1 in 81 (1.2%).
- Witches throw healing potions at illagers even if they attack them.
- Witches are extremely difficult to kill via suffocation or cacti (though not impossible), due to their frequent use of healing potions.
- When drinking a potion, a witch's nose lifts up and points forward.
- The player can see the short mouth of a witch from the side, only if they are drinking a potion and lifting their nose.
- When the subject of witches dropping sticks was brought up, Dinnerbone jokingly replied that it's because witches are made of wood. He later explained  that it was a reference to this scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The witch is based on a Slavic folklore called Baba Yaga, which is why it lives in a swamp hut.
- Witches nose slightly waving when idle.
A witch drinking a potion in Java Edition; note its nose lifting up while it drinks it.
A witch throwing a potion at the player.
A witch in its witch hut.
7 witches fighting in a thunderstorm.
The witch with a cowl in 18w50a.
Three witches holding items.
Witch and villager difference.
The particle effect that witches emit.
- "The cowl on the witch is not intended. The cowl was always in the texture map but it just wasn't rendered. Due to the new villager model system now it does." – @JasperBoerstra, December 13, 2018
- Comment by Slicedlime on his 18w50a update video
- "Don't you know that witches are made out of wood?" – u/Dinnerbone
- "You almost got the joke!" – u/Dinnerbone