Wii U Edition
Digital - eShop
|This page describes content that is no longer in the game.|
This edition is no longer updated.
Minecraft: Wii U Edition was the edition of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios and Mojang AB for the Nintendo Wii U. It was announced on December 7, 2015, and released on December 17, 2015 for $29.99 on the Nintendo eShop. A retail disc version was released on June 17, 2016. This edition is bundled with seven add-on packs, and sixteen additional packs are also available as downloadable content. Exclusive content based on Nintendo properties is also available for the game: a mash-up pack based on the Super Mario franchise was released in May 2016.
Wii U Edition's final feature update was the Update Aquatic.
In late 2013, Mojang founder Markus Persson announced that there were no plans to port Minecraft to the Wii U, stating that he wasn't aware of any plans but agreed that "a Wii U version would make sense."
|— Shigeru Miyamoto on porting Minecraft to the Wii U|
Takahashi followed with his statement:
|— Shinya Takahashi on porting Minecraft to the Wii U|
In September 2014, Mojang's Daniel Kaplan reiterated that there were no plans to bring Minecraft to the Wii U because he claimed that the user base for the Wii U was "very small". This was not the case at the time of this post, as the Wii U was ahead of the Xbox One in terms of sales around the same time.
|— Vu Bui on porting Minecraft to the Wii U|
On May 9, 2016, Nintendo and Mojang announced that there would be a special Super Mario-themed mash-up pack released for Minecraft: Wii U Edition on the May 19 for free. Mojang also announced that a retail version of the game would be released on June 17, 2016.
Wii U Edition features Off-TV Play, which allows the game to be played exclusively on the Wii U GamePad's screen. There is some limited touchscreen functionality, allowing players to select items on their hotbar, navigate through the Crafting menu, and more. When asked about whether the GamePad could be used as a second screen for full inventory management, Owen Jones stated it was not at the moment, but it would be cool. Mii characters can be used as the player's in-game username. In addition to the GamePad, the game is also playable with the Wii U Pro Controller or the Wii Classic Controller.
The following DLC is included in Wii U Edition:
- Skin packs:
- Texture packs:
- Mash-up packs:
- Wii U Edition (alongside Nintendo Switch Edition and New Nintendo 3DS Edition) are the most expensive editions of Minecraft to date, at US$29.99.
- The PlayStation 3 Edition was released exactly two years earlier, on December 17, 2013.
- The Nintendo eShop does not have a free demo for Minecraft, unlike the PlayStation and Xbox.
- Wii U Edition does not have the exclusive features of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions, also limiting blocks and world spaces and as well as lower render distance just like the Nintendo Switch Edition.
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition ESRB Rating
- Minecraft: Wii U Edition ACB Rating