Hostile or Neutral
Height: 1.95 Blocks
see § Drops
|— Marsh Davies|
In Bedrock Edition, 25% of them spawn with a enchanted iron axe.
Vindicators spawn during the generation of mansions, inside particular rooms. Some rooms contain 1, others contain 3, some contain 2 accompanied by an evoker, and some can rarely spawn in the corridors. They do not respawn after their initial spawn point. Vindicators generated with mansions do not naturally despawn.
in Bedrock Edition, patrols consist of 2–5 illagers, with all illagers always being pillagers on Easy and Normal difficulties. On Hard difficulty, 80% of them are pillagers and 20% of them are vindicators.
Vindicators can spawn during raids. They appear less frequently during earlier waves and at easier difficulties but are more common in later waves and at higher difficulties.
- 5 experience orbs.
- 0–1 emeralds when killed by the player. The maximum increases by 1 for every level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-4 with Looting III.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting. In Bedrock Edition, the tool has a 25% chance to be enchanted.
- 1 Ominous banner, if they spawn as a raid captain.
In Bedrock Edition, if a vindicator spawns as part of a raid, it can drop:
- 0-1 Emerald
Additionally, vindicators have a 65% chance of dropping the following on Easy and Normal difficulties, and an 80% chance of dropping them on Hard difficulty:
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 chance)
- Iron equipment from raid drops has a 50% chance of being enchanted with a random enchantment.
- Iron equipment from raid drops is always damaged.
- These drops are also affected by the Looting enchantment.
- The enchanted book has a level 30 enchantment, also can be treasure enchantment.
- Emeralds are both a regular raid drop and an additional raid drop.
- With Looting III enchantment, a vindicator spawned from a raid can drop up to 16 emeralds upon death, but the chance is 3.328% on Easy or Normal, and 4.096% on Hard.
- It is possible for a vindicator spawned from a raid to drop both its naturally-spawned iron axe and a second iron axe from its additional raid drops (in Easy and Normal difficulty 0.3536% chance, 0.3952% chance with Looting I, 0.4368% chance with Looting II, and 0.4784% chance with Looting III, while in Hard difficulty 0.4352% chance, 0.4864% chance with Looting I, 0.5376% chance with Looting II, and 0.5888% chance with Looting III).
When attacking, a vindicator raises its main hand brandishing an iron axe. A vindicator moves toward its target at the player's walking speed in Java Edition, or at the player's sprinting speed in Bedrock Edition. When not attacking, a vindicator crosses its arms similar to a villager, and does not show the axe in its hand. A vindicator follows its target from up to 12 blocks away.
A vindicator named Johnny (using a name tag, named spawn egg, etc., or has its
Johnny tag set to
1b) is hostile to every mob except for evokers, illusioners, pillagers, ghasts, and other vindicators; in Java Edition its hostility even extends to vexes and ravagers. All hostile or neutral mobs, except for endermites, phantoms, guardians, slimes, magma cubes, and ravagers, try to attack the Johnny vindicator in return. The
Johnny tag overrides its name; the player can give the vindicator any other name and set the
Johnny tag to
1b and it remains hostile in the same way as described. Conversely, the player can name the vindicator Johnny and set the
Johnny tag to
0b, causing the vindicator to act as a normal vindicator.
In Java Edition, during raids, vindicators can open doors, just as villagers do.
Also, they can break doors in Normal and Hard difficulty.
In Java Edition, a vindicator can disable the player's shield with its iron axe attack, even when riding a mob. For example, a player may not survive trying a melee attack on a vindicator that rides a ravager during a raid in Hard difficulty.
In Java Edition, vindicators can spawn reinforcements if one of them is attacked by an invisible player or visible mob that they don't naturally attack, and there are not any villagers or iron golems or visible players.
In Java and Bedrock editions,[upcoming: BE 1.13.0] if raiding vindicators kill all the villagers in the village, or all the beds are destroyed, vindicators celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms.
Vindicators have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Tags common to all mobs spawnable in raids see Template:Nbt inherit/raidable/template
- Johnny: Optional. 1 or 0 (true/false) - Setting to true causes the vindicator to exhibit Johnny behavior. Setting to false prevents the vindicator exhibiting Johnny behavior, even if named Johnny.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and destroy a monster||Kill a hostile mob or one of the following neutral mobs: enderman, zombie pigman, spider, cave spider.||Xbox One||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 25 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 25 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|16w40a||"Johnny" vindicators are now activated by a custom tag in addition to a custom name.|
|The vindicators' axes are now one of their |
|Vindicators have now been heavily buffed - their attack damage on Easy has now been increased from 3 to 7, on Normal 5 to 13 × 6.5, and on Hard, 7 to 19 × 9.5.|
|1.13||pre5||The entity ID for vindicators has now been changed from |
|1.14||18w45a||Vindicators can now spawn in illager patrols.|
|Vindicators can now sometimes spawn as a patrol leader in illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Vindicators can now spawn as part of raids.|
|Vindicators can now break doors.|
|19w05a||Vindicators are hostile towards the new wandering traders.|
|19w13a||Vindicators can now open doors.|
|If raiding vindicators killed all the villagers in the village or the beds were destroyed, vindicators celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms.|
|1.14.3||Pre-Release 2||Vindicators no longer spawn as part of illager patrols.|
|1.1.0||alpha 220.127.116.11||Added vindicators.|
|1.10.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Vindicators are now hostile towards the new wandering traders.|
|1.11.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Vindicators can now spawn as part of illager patrols and raids.|
|Vindicators can now spawn as raid captains.|
|Vindicators no longer attack baby villagers.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Vindicators that spawn from raids now have special drops upon death.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Vindicators can now break wooden doors.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.13.0||beta 184.108.40.206||If raiding vindicators killed all the villagers in the village or the beds were destroyed, vindicators celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||Patch s4||Added vindicators.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- According to Jeb, naming a vindicator "Johnny" causes the vindicator to become hostile towards every mob, except other illagers; a reference to The Shining.
- They do the second-highest melee damage of all the non-boss mobs, first being the iron golem and third being the ravager.
- "Meet the Vindicator" – Minecraft.net, June 20, 2017
- "He just looks insane – and it made me think of The Shining, when Jack Nicholson breaks through the bathroom door, yelling, "Heeere's Johnny!" So I thought it was funny to add an Easter Egg in which you name him Johnny and he would constantly be in hostile mode and kill everything he sees!" – Minecraft.net