Height: 1.95 Blocks
See § History
|— Marsh Davies|
Vindicators spawn during the generation of mansions, in particular rooms. Some rooms will contain 1, others will contain 3, and some will contain 2 accompanied by an evoker. They will not respawn after their initial spawn, thus there are a limited number of them per world. Vindicators that are generated with mansions do not naturally despawn.
Some vindicators may spawn with an enchanted iron axe, depending on the difficulty set: the chances go up as the difficulty goes up.
Illager patrols spawn a maximum of five pillagers (weight 55) or vindicators (weight 27) 200 blocks away from villages on grass or sand with a block light level of 0–8 and a sky light level of 10–15.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting.
- 1 illager banner, if they spawn as a patrol leader in an illager patrol.[upcoming: JE 1.14]
Vindicators are hostile towards players, iron golems, villagers, and wandering traders[upcoming: JE 1.14] They will try to attack them, raising their main hand and brandishing an iron axe. When in pursuit of their target they will sprint toward them, slightly faster than the player's walking speed. When not attacking, they cross their arms similar to a villager, and don't show the axe in their hand.
A vindicator will not pursue the player through the iron door of any naturally occurring woodland mansion jail cells, and after a time, will cease hostility as long as the player remains inside.[Java Edition only]
If a vindicator is named Johnny (using a name tag, named spawn egg, etc., or has its
Johnny tag set to
1b), it will be hostile to every mob, except for evokers, illusioners, pillagers[upcoming: JE 1.14], ghasts, ravagers[Bedrock Edition only] and other vindicators. It will even be hostile to vexes and ravagers[Java Edition only][upcoming: JE 1.14]. All hostile or neutral mobs, except for endermites, phantoms, guardians, slimes, magma cubes and ravagers, will try to attack the vindicator in return. The
Johnny tag overrides its name; the player can give the vindicator any other name and set the
Johnny tag to
1b and it will still be hostile in the same way as described. Conversely, you can name the vindicator Johnny and set the
Johnny tag to
0b, and the vindicator will not be hostile as described; it will act as a normal vindicator.
Vindicators have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Tags common to all mobs spawnable in raids see Template:Nbt inherit/raidable/template
- Johnny: Optional. 1 or 0 (true/false) - Setting to true will cause the vindicator to exhibit Johnny behavior. Setting to false will prevent the vindicator exhibiting Johnny behavior, even if named Johnny.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and destroy a monster||Kill a hostile mob or one of the following neutral mobs: enderman, zombie pigman, spider, cave spider.||Xbox One||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 24 mobs. In 1.14,[upcoming] you can also earn this by killing one of these 2 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 24 mobs. In 1.14,[upcoming] also kill each of these 2 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|16w40a||"Johnny" vindicators are now activated by a custom tag in addition to a custom name.|
|The vindicators' axes are now one of their |
|Vindicators have now been heavily buffed - their attack damage on Easy has now been increased from 3 () to 7 (), on Normal 5 () to 13 ( × 6.5), and on Hard, 7 () to 19 ( × 9.5).|
|1.13||pre5||The entity ID for vindicators has now been changed from |
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w45a||Vindicators can now spawn in illager patrols.|
|Vindicators can now sometimes spawn as a patrol leader in illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Vindicators can now spawn as part of raids.|
|Vindicators can now break doors.|
|19w05a||Vindicators are hostile towards the new wandering traders.|
|1.1||alpha 220.127.116.11||Added vindicators.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.10||beta 18.104.22.168||Vindicators are hostile towards the new wandering traders.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||Patch s4||Added vindicators.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- According to Jeb, naming a vindicator "Johnny" will cause the vindicator to become hostile towards every mob, except other illagers; a reference to The Shining.
- "He just looks insane – and it made me think of The Shining, when Jack Nicholson breaks through the bathroom door, yelling, "Heeere's Johnny!" So I thought it was funny to add an Easter Egg in which you name him Johnny and he would constantly be in hostile mode and kill everything he sees!" – Minecraft.net