Legacy Console Edition
Height: 1.95 Blocks
|— Marsh Davies|
Vindicators are dangerous illager mobs that spawn in mansions, illager patrols, and raids. They are equipped with iron axes and do the second-highest damage of all the non-boss mobs, first being the Iron Golem and third being the Ravager.
Vindicators spawn during the generation of mansions, in particular rooms. Some rooms will contain 1, others will contain 3, some can rarely spawn in the corridors and some will contain 2 accompanied by an evoker. They will not respawn after their initial spawn. Vindicators that are generated with mansions do not naturally despawn.
Some vindicators may spawn with an enchanted iron axe, depending on the difficulty set: the chances go up as the difficulty goes up.
In Java Edition, Illager patrols spawn a maximum of five pillagers (weight 55) or vindicators (weight 27) 200 blocks away from villages on grass or sand with a block light level of 0–8 and a sky light level of 10–15.
In Bedrock Edition, Illager patrols consist of 2-5 illagers, with all illagers always being a pillager on easy and normal difficulties, and on hard 80% of them will be pillagers and 20% of them will be vindicators.
Vindicators are able to spawn as part of raids. They appear less frequently during earlier waves and at easier difficulties but are more common in later waves and at higher difficulties.
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting.
- 1 Ominous banner, if they spawn as a raid captain.
In Bedrock Edition, if vindicators spawn from raids can drops:
- 0-1 Emerald
And an additionally drop depend on difficulty, 65% chance of dropping on easy and normal, while 80% chance of dropping on hard
They can drop one of these;
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 chance)
- Iron equipment from raider drops has 50% chance of being enchanted with random enchantment.
- Iron equipment from raider drops will be badly damaged.
- These drop also affected by Looting enchantment.
- Emerald is both a regular raider drop and an additional raider drop.
- With Looting III enchantment, a vindicator spawn from raid can drop up to 16 emeralds upon death, but the chance is 3.328% on easy or normal, and 4.096% on hard.
- It is possible for a vindicator spawn from raid to drop both its naturally-spawned iron axe and a second iron axe from its additional raid drops (In easy and normal difficulty 0.3536% chance, 0.3952% chance with Looting I, 0.4368% chance with Looting II, and 0.4784% chance with Looting III)(while in hard difficulty 0.4352% chance, 0.4864% chance with Looting I, 0.5376% chance with Looting II, and 0.5888% chance with Looting III).
Vindicators are hostile towards players, iron golems, villagers or adult villagers[Bedrock Edition only],wandering traders and snow golems[Bedrock Edition only]. They will try to attack them, raising their main hand and brandishing an iron axe. When in pursuit of their target they will sprint toward them, slightly faster than the player's walking speed. When not attacking, they cross their arms similar to a villager, and don't show the axe in their hand.
If a vindicator is named Johnny (using a name tag, named spawn egg, etc., or has its
Johnny tag set to
1b), it will be hostile to every mob, except for evokers, illusioners, pillagers [BE only], ghasts, and other vindicators. It will even be hostile to vexes and ravagers[Java Edition only]. All hostile or neutral mobs, except for endermites, phantoms, guardians, slimes, magma cubes and ravagers, will try to attack the vindicator in return. The
Johnny tag overrides its name; the player can give the vindicator any other name and set the
Johnny tag to
1b and it will still be hostile in the same way as described. Conversely, you can name the vindicator Johnny and set the
Johnny tag to
0b, and the vindicator will not be hostile as described; it will act as a normal vindicator.
During raids, vindicators can break doors. If raiding vindicators killed all the villagers in the village or the beds were destroyed, vindicators will celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms.
Vindicators are able to spawn reinforcements if one of them was attacked by an invisible player or visible mob that they don't naturally attack and there weren't any villagers or iron golems or visible players.
Vindicators have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Tags common to all mobs spawnable in raids see Template:Nbt inherit/raidable/template
- Johnny: Optional. 1 or 0 (true/false) - Setting to true will cause the vindicator to exhibit Johnny behavior. Setting to false will prevent the vindicator exhibiting Johnny behavior, even if named Johnny.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and destroy a monster||Kill a hostile mob or one of the following neutral mobs: enderman, zombie pigman, spider, cave spider.||Xbox One||Yes||Yes||Yes||15G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 25 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 25 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|16w40a||"Johnny" vindicators are now activated by a custom tag in addition to a custom name.|
|The vindicators' axes are now one of their |
|Vindicators have now been heavily buffed - their attack damage on Easy has now been increased from 3 () to 7 (), on Normal 5 () to 13 ( × 6.5), and on Hard, 7 () to 19 ( × 9.5).|
|1.13||pre5||The entity ID for vindicators has now been changed from |
|1.14||18w45a||Vindicators can now spawn in illager patrols.|
|Vindicators can now sometimes spawn as a patrol leader in illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Vindicators can now spawn as part of raids.|
|Vindicators can now break doors.|
|19w05a||Vindicators are hostile towards the new wandering traders.|
|19w13a||If raiding vindicators killed all the villagers in the village or the beds were destroyed, vindicators will celebrate their victory by laughing and raising their arms.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||Added vindicators.|
|1.10.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Vindicators are now hostile towards the new wandering traders.|
|1.11.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Vindicators can now spawn as part of illager patrols and raids.|
|Vindicators can now spawn as raid captains.|
|Vindicators no longer attack baby villagers.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Vindicators that spawn from raids now have special drops upon death.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Vindicators can now break wooden doors.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||Patch s4||Added vindicators.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- According to Jeb, naming a vindicator "Johnny" will cause the vindicator to become hostile towards every mob, except other illagers; a reference to The Shining.
- "Meet the Vindicator" – Minecraft.net, June 20, 2017
- "He just looks insane – and it made me think of The Shining, when Jack Nicholson breaks through the bathroom door, yelling, "Heeere's Johnny!" So I thought it was funny to add an Easter Egg in which you name him Johnny and he would constantly be in hostile mode and kill everything he sees!" – Minecraft.net