This is my talk page. Please feel free to leave me a message about anything! Tesla 06:36, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
Just wondering, how did you got that nicknamem, are you from Balkan or i've misunderstood? Tom.K 07:22, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Haha! Thank you for the question. I am an online broadcaster among many other things, including working for curse. When I started off as an online Broadcaster, I did not know what to call myself. So it was suggested that I go by Tesla because of my personality. So my first show on air, I gave the name a try, without knowing anything about it. From that point on I did the research and I fell in love with all the behind the name. So I decided to keep using it because it had a nice sound to it and because I wanted to add more history to the name. My name is actually Lori and I am from the States. However, thank you so much for the wonderful question! Tesla 07:33, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- You're welcome. Tom.K 07:40, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
I don't really have a lot of issues with the wiki, it's a bit slow at times, but I already know you've got heaps of hardware dedicated to the site, so there's nothing you can really do unless it starts raining money.
However, the one thing that I don't like is the sidebar. I know it's never going to be removed and is unlikely to even be changed, but I have to at least say something.
I understand that you need to the extra funding to run such a massively popular wiki, but the sidebar is really screwing up page layout and wasting a lot of vertical space under it, when the page is longer than it (which most are). Combine this with the content cramp from the infoboxes, plus the TOC and Vector's sidebar on the left and it's making me feel like I'm on a wikia site, and I'm on a 1920x1080px 24" monitor, so I can't imagine how people on laptops and older computers (which seems to be quite a majority of Minecraft players, based on the Hardware performance page) feel about it.
In terms of features, I've been told about Curse's plan to move the wiki logins over to a universal login like the forums already have. I will really be looking forward to when this feature can be rolled out, as having to make an account for every language is quite the inconvenience, especially since there's no way to change the language until you're logged in, meaning I have to guess where everything is (I only know English). –ultradude25 (T|C) at 07:57, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Ok. Thank you so much for your feedback. Can you explain exactly what you don't like about the sidebar? Maybe there is a way to fix it at least for the time being to be something more appealing to the community. So if you have ideas, please let me know. The next bit you talk about content cramp from infobosxes - Are you talking about the main page? I am almost positive we can fix that pretty soon. Thank you for the feedback. If you have anymore or even just ideas, please let me know! Tesla 08:34, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Well first off it doesn't really have any useful information (at least not to warrant the space it's taking up), as anyone that actually wants to read the recent news on the forum or look at Notch's tweets would do so by regularly visiting the respective sites themselves, plus they wouldn't want to see them every time they load a page on the wiki.
- Secondly, it takes up too much space, plus once you've scrolled past the sidebar, you've got a large area of unused space for the rest of the article. 
- The only way I could really think to fix it is to have it on top of the wiki horizontally, instead of vertically down the page. The recent articles part could also have the font size lowered, and only display 1 or 2 articles.
- The infoboxes (like Template:Block) are completely necessary for the wiki, so it's fine that they take up space, what I meant was, once you combine all the things that we need which take up space that isn't normal article text, then add Curse's sidebar, you don't have any room left for the actual page. Example
- The sidebar is already disabled on the main page, so that page is not an issue.
- By the way, thanks for actually taking the time to at least talk about this issue. Previous requests to Curse to have it fixed or removed by numerous members of the community (with some of the admins supporting it as well) have either been ignored or silently deleted.
- If Curse isn't willing to change it, then just say so. They shouldn't just outright ignore everyone. –ultradude25 (T|C) at 10:34, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- I can't say as to what happened in the past or why things were done the way they were in the past. However I can say that I will see what can be done about the side bar. I do see your concern and it is something that we will look into. If it is not something we can change at this moment, then you will know. At least then we will all be on the same page. Thank you so much for the feedback! As for me taking the time to talk about the issue, thats what I am here for! If you have any more ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Hopefully I will know what we can do about this situation within the next week. ^^ Tesla 11:25, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
Hey THis is Airan um i got a few questions and ideas if you dont mind listening to them. the first one is a question. When i get on to play minecraft i thing the version is beta? t wheni get on it wont sow me the map thing inidcator in game like it doesn't have the mimi map. Second is and idea. teh idea is i think you guys should Add things thewik like chllengs to make a map. plz respond to me thanks. --Airan360 01:45, 18 December 2011 (UTC)
Hiya! I'm responding to your talk page requesting feedback. ^^
There are a few details, but most we need to sort out ourselves. but there is a SINGLE issue, which we loathe. even other admins and higher dislike this, but Curse has more or less crushed every objection to it.
I am talking, of course, about the eyesore of a sidebar.
it is worthless. it doesn't even work properly. and for many, it obliterates any chance to read the wiki due to their screen sizes. it is only there for ad revenue. they won't even compromise to make a long, thin advert, so to make the ad take up less space on smaller screens.
Unfortunately, I hear it's been enacted from very high up in the Curse food chain, so I am not hopeful it will be revoked. I am all for adverts. but I oppose that it takes up so much space on smaller screens. it is unacceptable.
now, there is one minor thing too. other than that, the wiki is progressing smoothly. we are in agreement we'd want an audio player of sorts. we discussed it on the community portal, and no-one disagreed with it. this is for mob sounds, music disc playback and environment sounds.
we asked Wyn, but I think she's working on another wiki, prepping it for a release date.
so, thanks for reading! ^^ I'll try to get my hopes up for the sidebar. until then, only those with custom CSS sheet like myself have the freedom to get rid of that eyesore. but, here's hoping the other issue is fixed! ^^ --Kizzycocoa 12:52, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Well thank you much for your feedback. First off I want to say that Wyn has done a great job keeping you on the same page, by the sounds of it. Second off, as I said before about the bar, I can't say I'll be able to get it changed or anything. All I can do is see if there is some way we can make it fit with the wiki a bit more, but I am sure Wyn has already told you this. As for other features and such, I will see what we can do. However in regards to the bar, please do not get your hopes up. I do not want you guys to think I can perform magic or just make things change that have already been in place for quite a while. However, I will see what can be done. If you have other ideas, please let me know. Thank you for being understanding. Tesla 14:15, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- I was afraid you'd say that. well, thanks for the help with the other features at the least. and hey, maybe if Curse is asked enough, they may change their minds. there's always the small, small, tiny, minuscule chance.
- Thanks again! ^^ --Kizzycocoa 14:44, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
Hey, I'm assuming that the message you left on my user talk page is automated and sent to all administrators but just in case; I work for Curse (I'm one of the people that Curse acquired this wiki from) and I'm relatively inactive here now (I focus on minecraftforum.net) but you can reach me on the company skype (I'm sryan-curse) if you ever need to talk to me :-) Citricsquid 15:21, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Haha! My goodness! I'm sorry for that! Thanks for letting me know and nice to meet you. :) Sent you a message on skype. ^_^ Tesla 15:35, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
You gained a Tesla Coil!
[color=ABCDEF] Unofficial Admin of Pokemon and Minecraft [/color] 17:30, 3 January 2012 (UTC)
putting a new page in
I want to make a new page but I don't want to fll the website up with stuff that doesn't help other's gaming. Is it ok if I add a page that gives suggestions for Notch or a modder? It's basically a list of what I want to see in Minecraft (like mobs, biomes, etc.) Please tell me if its allowed or not.
- We don't have a "suggestions" area, you might want to look at the forum instead. The wiki is for documenting the game as it exists, not creating a wish list of things we'd like to see. -- Wynthyst talk 22:59, 1 May 2012 (UTC)
- I figured Wyn would know best how to answer you. :) Tesla 23:10, 1 May 2012 (UTC)
Wiki Design Help
Howdy Tesla, If i might be able to harass you for a few moments of your time, would you be so kind as to help a newb understand some of the finer points of wiki design? I see your name all over MinecraftWiki, which leads me to believe you know what your doing here. As the owner of a startup company and a wiki related to my work, i was wondering if you might be able to teach me a thing or two about wiki design. I am having the roughest of times figuring out just how you get the different 'panels' on the index pages of sites like MinecraftWiki.net and even Wikipedia.com ... I know there is probably something quite simple I am overlooking, which is usually the case. Please, if you have the ability and can spare the time, i would like to send some ideas your way and perhaps find something that will work.
- Those are called Info boxes and are pretty standard fare on most wikis. They are created as templates that can be easily filled in with the various information. Category:Infobox_templates Ours also utilize some css styles, that you can see on MediaWiki:Common.css just look for the */ Infobox */ entries. -- Wynthyst talk 23:06, 1 May 2012 (UTC)
- I asked Wyn to answer your question. She is much more experienced with wikis than I am. She has taught me what I know. ^_^ Tesla 23:10, 1 May 2012 (UTC)
This page (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Sugar_Cane) isn't showing up for me, I'd kinda like to learn about Sugar Cane :/ It was linked from Paper (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Paper). Not sure if it was deleted or what :O Thanks!
- That is very weird that it is not showing for you. I would suggest clearing your browser cache and then try looking at the page. I can see it on my end. So I would assume it might be a browser issue. Tesla 09:35, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
whenever I log in, it says that it has a new update and it updates but but when it finishes it freezes and it doesn't let me play. How do I solve that?
- Hello there! First off please sign your posts "~~~~" without the qoutes. Second off, what are you logging into and having issues with? Please let me know. Thanks! Tesla 09:26, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
I downloaded minecraft and put it onto my desktop. and it keeps on freezing at the loading screen and no matter what I do I cant get it to work.Luke5273 15:20, 10 July 2012 (UTC)
- I would suggest uninstalling the game completely, making sure the registry file is gone as well...Do a reboot and then redownload and reinstall Minecraft from there. Hopefully that will fix your current issue and help stop these issues from being a problem in the future. Let me know how it goes. Tesla 02:18, 11 July 2012 (UTC)
When I accessed the modifications page at approximately 17:50 Central Time, there was nothing but a Spanish text:
"La base de datos no encuentra el texto de una página que debería hallarse, llamada «Mods» .
La causa de esto suele deberse a un diff anacrónico o un enlace al historial de una página que ha sido borrada.
Si no fuera el caso, puedes haber encontrado un fallo en el software.
Por favor, avisa a un administrador, tomando nota de la URL."
This translates to the following:
"The database did not find the text of a page that it should have found, named "Mods".
The cause is usually due to an outdated diff or history link to a page that has been deleted.
If it were the case, you have found a bug in the software.
Please report this to an administrator, making note of the URL."
I doubt this is a browser error, as I have accessed the page's history, which was different (i.e. the regular mods page), and have attempted access through other browsers only to get the same thing. I believe someone edited this, as a form of a practical joke. If the mods page could be repaired that would be great.
Here is the page's URL: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mods
Error attempting to visit 1.3.1 bugs discussion page
Attempting to visit
gave me an error about being unable to find a page that should exist.
--Keybounce 00:28, 11 August 2012 (UTC)
Help with another wiki
I am making a wiki for a minecraft mod but theres a thing I can't get to work in the grid template, I assume we need a grid.css which I don't have, can you help me with this situation?