The Update Aquatic is the name for a major update that was released for nearly all of the Minecraft editions during the summer of 2018, except for Legacy Console Edition, which has not received the update yet.
The update was released on Java Edition on July 18, 2018 as version 1.13. On Bedrock Edition, the Update Aquatic was split into two updates due to the amount of content, with most of the features being released in Phase One as version 1.4 on May 16, 2018, and the rest of the features released as version 1.5 on July 10, 2018. Legacy Console Editions will be getting the update as well after all parts of the update have been released for Bedrock Edition, except on the Xbox One Edition and the Nintendo Switch Edition, which were both replaced by the Bedrock Engine. This will be the last update for Legacy Console Editions, excluding PlayStation 4. Additionally, the Update Aquatic was released for the Education Edition in the 1.4.0 update on June 12, 2018. The update was also released for Minecraft China. It was released on mobile devices on July 6, 2018, and on PC on July 10, 2018.
The first pre-release on Java Edition, 1.13-pre1, was released on June 4, 2018, the second pre-release was released on June 15, the third on June 21, the fourth on June 26, the fifth on June 28, the sixth on July 4, the seventh on July 10, the eighth on July 13, the ninth on July 16, and the tenth on July 17.
This update had 10 pre-releases for Java Edition, the largest number of pre-releases for any update.
On July 10, Mojang released a trailer for the update.
- New blocks:
- Trapdoors, pressure plates, and buttons for the other 5 types of wood besides oak
- 10 types of coral block, 5 types of corals, and 5 types of coral fans
- 5 types of dead coral fans
- Dried kelp block
- Sea pickles
- Turtle eggs
- Blue ice
- Wood[Java Edition only] and stripped logs
- Bubble columns, created by magma blocks or soul sand in water
- Prismarine stairs and slabs
- New items:
- Turtle shell
- Dried kelp
- Phantom membrane
- Heart of the sea
- Nautilus shell
- Potion of the Turtle Master
- Arrow of the Turtle Master
- Potion of Slow Falling
- Arrow of Slow Falling
- Debug stick[Java Edition only]
- Buried treasure explorer map
- Spawn eggs for turtles, phantoms, cod, salmon, pufferfish, tropical fish, and drowned
- Fish buckets: cod, salmon, pufferfish, and tropical fish
- New Status Effects:
- New enchantments: Loyalty, Impaling, Riptide, and Channeling
- New mobs:
- New generated structures:
- New biomes:
- Warm, lukewarm, and cold variants of ocean and deep ocean biomes, as well as a deep frozen ocean biome
- Divided the End up into separate biomes: Floating, Medium, High, and Barren islands.[Java Edition only]
- World types:
- Data packs[Java Edition only]
- Item forms for mushroom blocks, bark blocks, and double slabs.[Java Edition only]
- 3 new commands:
/bossbar.[Java Edition only]
- A command suggestion UI.[Java Edition only]
- A smooth transition is applied to the camera when the player sneaks.[Java Edition only]
- Changed pumpkin texture, and renamed the old texture to "carved pumpkin", available when a pumpkin is right-clicked with shears.
- Water source blocks can now be placed inside of semi-transparent blocks such as stairs and slabs, called waterlogging.
- Magma blocks generate in ocean biomes, causing downward bubble columns
- Dropped items in water will now float towards the surface
- Replaced and changed many commands[Java Edition only]
- The flattening[Java Edition only]
- New horse model
- New water texture
- Item frames can be placed on the floor and the ceiling[Java Edition only]
- Squids now shoot ink when attacked[Java Edition only]
- This feature was ported from Bedrock Edition
- The player's oxygen no longer generates instantly when out of water
- Changed underwater visibility
- Maps can now be marked using banners
- Named banners will show their names under that marker on the map
- Shulker boxes can now be undyed using a cauldron
- 1.13.1 is planned to be released, which will mostly add a search bar to select world screens, re-add the punch-detonate TNT ability, allow fish to drop bone meal, add dead coral, add a new
/forceloadcommand, significant change the spawning conditions of squid, and fix bugs.
1.4 (Phase One)
- 1.4.1 was released exclusively on Android, Fire OS, and Fire TV to fix a bug involving players losing previously purchased items.
- 1.4.2 fixed several crash-related bugs.
- 1.4.3 was released exclusively on iOS devices to fix some bugs and added a new map by Blockceptions.
- 1.4.4 was released exclusively on Android, Fire OS, and Fire TV to fix a bug that had issues with telemetry.
1.5 (Phase Two)
- 1.5.1 fixed several bugs present in the official release of 1.5.
- 1.5.2 fixed a lone bug regarding bitmap on low-end devices.
- 1.5.3 fixed the lost inventory bug along with several other bugs.
A trailer documenting some of the Update Aquatic's features was released on Mojang's official YouTube channel on July 10, 2018. The trailer was made by Mojang themselves instead of Hat Films, similar to the 2 previous trailers.
Video made by slicedlime:
- Phase One
Video made by slicedlime:
- Phase Two
Video made by slicedlime:
- "Java Edition Technically Updated!" – Minecraft.net, January 24, 2018
- "Update Aquatic Out On Java!" by Adrian Östergård. Minecraft.net, July 18, 2018
- "Update Aquatic Phase One is out now!" – Minecraft.net, May 16, 2018
- “Who is ready for #UpdateAquatic part 2? Switch players should start seeing the update right now, with other platforms diving in later today! Get ready for Turtles, Conduits, and more!
#Minecraft” – @mega_spud, July 10, 2018
- “Work on Update Aquatic for Console Editions is progressing, but it won't be released until after all parts of the update have been released on the Bedrock version.” – @4JStudios, June 22, 2018
- "Update Aquatic Coming to Legacy Console Editions" – Minecraft.net
- "Update Aquatic Released for Minecraft: Education Edition" – Minecraft: Education Edition
- "重磅来袭！《我的世界》海洋更新上线时间首次曝光！" – Mc.163
- "Interview mit Jeb! Ihr konntet die Fragen stellen!" – MineTimes
- "MINECON Earth 2017 Livestream" – via YouTube, November 18, 2017