Tutorials/Respawning the ender dragon with fewer crystals
This page will help the player, respawn the ender dragon without crafting 4 end crystals each time. Each of these methods work in Survival mode without cheats.
|The following paragraph demonstrates the use of a bug and/or glitch to make a contraption.|
Bugs of this nature may be fixed at any time without warning: when this happens, the contraption will cease to work.
Use at your own risk.
Respawning the ender dragon is useful for farming things like experience from the fight and obsidian from the towers. Traditionally, this requires the player to craft and place four end crystals on the edges of the return portal in the end. However, the player does not have to craft and use four crystals to respawn the dragon.
Using Two Crystals
Spawn two dragons for the price of one! Here are the materials you will need, assuming everything goes perfectly:
1. Place a dispenser facing down right next to the middle bedrock column.
2. Place the bucket inside it and power the dispenser. Power it again to guarantee to get the water back.
3. Choose a direction parallel to the edge and place a dispenser in the new hole in the portal facing the chosen direction.
4. Repeat step 2 to break the block diagonal to the bedrock column.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the diagonal block opposite the first one. You should be left with holes in the end portal blocks diagonally opposite each other.
6. Place the two end crystals in these holes that are diagonally opposite each other. The dragon should respawn after the animation and the towers are placed back in.
This trick works because of end crystal entities' huge hitbox. It takes up the space that the game uses to check for end crystals. The side effect is that the portal regenerates one block lower than it should.
Fun fact: from release 1.10 to release 1.10.1, this was the only way to respawn the ender dragon due to MC-103497.
Using One Crystal
To use this trick, you need an indestructible end crystal. This trick is exactly the same, except one of the crafted crystals are replaced by an indestructible end crystal.
Using Zero Crystals
You read that right: there is a way to respawn the ender dragon without using end crystals in Survival mode. There are two methods, one of which is much simpler.
This method is exactly the same as the two-crystal trick, but both crafted crystals are instead the indestructible type.
This method no longer works as of 1.13
This method will not regenerate any of the obsidian towers but it will give the player another dragon egg and more experience, similar to the first dragon fight. To use this method, you will need the following materials:
- 1 dispenser
- 1 water bucket
- 1 redstone power source.
These steps are similar to the two-crystal trick, but with a twist.
- Place a dispenser facing down right next to the middle bedrock column.
- Place the bucket inside the dispenser and power it. Power it again to guarantee to get the water back.
- Choose any direction and place a dispenser in the new hole in the portal facing the chosen direction.
- Repeat steps 2-3 until there are no more end portal blocks left in the return portal.
- On Singleplayer, log out and log back in. On Multiplayer, travel off of the main island (via end gateway portal) and then re-log. Make sure no players are on the main end island. When you reconnect the health bar should be visible, and then you can teleport back to the main island. You may also jump into the void and travel back through the end portal, or remotely break the last end portal block while you are not in the end.
- Upon coming back, you should notice the ender dragon boss health bar at the top of the screen. After about a minute, the ender dragon should spawn.
This trick uses the fact that by destroying the end portal blocks, you trick the game into thinking that you have never killed an ender dragon in that world. It then spawns a new ender dragon, which also drops a dragon egg.
In Singleplayer, the same thing will happen if the player relog or die during the dragon fight. The dragon will spawn with full health and in the center of the island.
Using Zero Crystals (Console edition only)
Following the below tutorial you will be able to respawn the dragon an infinite amount of times with no resources needed on ps4