The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
|This page describes content that exists only in outdated versions of Minecraft.|
This feature used to be in the game but has since been removed.
Fish farming is an easy method of catching large quantities of fish and other items by fishing. Most AFK designs involve right-clicking an iron door with tripwire above it, causing fish caught to flow into a hopper and then into a collection chest.
- 1 Designs
- 2 1.14
- 3 Other Versions
- 4 Non-AFK Fishing
AFK Automatic Fish Farming
Automatic fish farming involves right-clicking a door with tripwire above it and hoppers for collection. It’s a good idea to use an automatic fishing rod dropper to supply new fishing rods when the previous one breaks. The ideal rod is Lure 3, Luck of the Sea 3, Unbreaking 3 and Mending. Use Mouse Keys in Windows to make the experience truly afk. If playing on Ps4, You may want to jam a coin in between L1 and L2.
Note: None of these work in Bedrock Edition, due to how tripwires and doors work. Mojang also does not want to allow AFK fishing in Bedrock Edition. As such, most AFK fishing designs involve exploiting bugs that get fixed in the next update. AFK fish farm also does not work anymore since the snapshot 20w12a (it is now literally only used for fish).
Panda4994’s Design (1.11)
It also helps explain the mechanics of AFK fish farms.
Docm77's Realistic Fish Farm 1.13.0 (Only)
This farm is very useful, because it does not use fishing and can generate for you without having to hold down a button. It works using Soul Sand making Bubble Columns heading up to a cobweb layer, which looks like a fishing net and catches the fish, then they slowly suffocate and drop down onto the water conveyor to some hoppers.
This farm doesn't work anymore as of version 1.13.1 because the fish don't die in the cobwebs anymore.
Alternative Fish Farm
A modification to the farm that does work in 1.13.2 can be made by outlining a 2x2 or 3x3 bubble column of water with hoppers and cobwebs on top. The fish will land on the outside wall and suffocate in the cobwebs.
Docm77's Design (1.13)
This design uses an Iron Trapdoor instead of a door.
To use an AFK fish farm, the player will have to hold down the right-click button. When the rod is cast, it will trigger the tripwire, opening an iron door. When a fish is caught, the bobber will suddenly drop down, thus closing the door and breaking the line. This forced the rod to reel in whatever was caught. Beyond the iron door, there is a note block to absorb all the other right-clicks that don’t result in anything.
Semi-automatic fish farming (not designed for AFK)
Semi-automatic fish farms involve detecting the fishing rod using tripwire to close a door while fishing, improving fishing rates. The next video is an example:
This is a basic design using hoppers to automatically collect fish while being very quick and simple to build.
Although AFK fishing is very quick, in 1.16+ and in Bedrock, conventional AFK fishing does not work, so here are some tips.
Before that here is a quick run-through of the fishing mechanics:
- Time: the game does not choose a random time to give you a fish, as soon as you throw the line, it decides a random time from 5-40 seconds for you to wait.
- Enchantments: Lure is the main one here, many people believe that lure brings in more fish and not treasure, this is not what it does, what lure does is it decreases the amount of wait time, with each level, it decreases the wait by 5 seconds. Luck of the sea is also important, it brings in more treasure.
So here are the main ways to speed up non-AFK fishing.
- Use an enchanted fishing rod, spending XP on a fishing rod may seem useless, but it is not, you can get amazing loot from fishing. there are 4 enchantments you can put on a fishing rod that are useful, Mending, Unbreaking, Lure, and Luck of the Sea.
- Mending + Unbreaking.
- These can be useful so that you do not have to repair your fishing rod, you get XP from fishing, and it goes right to you, fixing your fishing rod instantly, and with unbreaking, it will only need fixing some of the time (assuming it is at full health), and that will allow you to get XP for enchanting, repairing, etc.
- Luck of the sea
- Simple, it gets you more treasure.
- Lure Decreases the pre-determined wait time by 5 seconds with each level.
- One problem that mending causes is it does not allow for other mending equipment to be fixed, but this has a workaround, when you fish with Luck of the sea 3, you will often get a lot of enchanted books, fishing rods, and bows, the useless ones can then be grinded down in a grindstone, even the books, which then will give you XP, allowing for repair.