Tutorials/Day night detector
Day and night detectors are mechanisms in which allows for the player to detect what time of day it is.
Daylight Sensor Method
|Material of housing (Stone, Wood Planks, etc.)||–|
Making the circuit
- Place the detector in an appropriate place, near your house.
- Place your lamps in an outer wall (They must be visible from inside!)
- Connect the detector to a NOT Gate (If you're confused, check the picture), for best effect have a distance of 5-6 blocks (Again, if you don't understand, check the picture).
- Connect the NOT gate to the lamps.
Thanks to the 1.8 update, there is an easier way to do this:
- Place the detector in an appropriate place, near your home or on top of your home.
- Place your lamps in an outer wall (They must be visible from the inside!)
- Connect the detector to the lamps.
- Use the detector
This circuit can be used for many things, including
- Turn on lights inside/outside
- Turn on in-ground "street lights" to prevent mobs from spawning in a certain area
- Use lights to prevent spawning, and combine with other defenses to keep mobs out of your house (For example, you could make a drawbridge that retracts at night, or something to automatically kill mobs outside your door in the morning, hooked up to the same circuit that will reduce mob spawning in the first place).
- Use an "AND" gate to create a circuit that will only work at day, or one that will only work at night
This method of time of day detecting uses a block update detector.
|Step 1||Dig a 4-block height, 10-block width, 13-block length hole|
|Step 2||Make your day/night detector as in the picture.|
|Step 4||Notice the stone blocks on each sticky piston.|
|1.5||13w01a||Daylight sensors were added to the game, which can easily detect time.|
|1.8||14w31a||Daylight sensors can now be toggled between day/night by using them, which can easily detect night time without inverting redstone power.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.13.0||build 1||Added daylight sensors, which can easily detect time.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||Added daylight sensors, which can easily detect time.|
|TU25||CU14||1.17||Daylight sensors can now be toggled between day/night by using them, which can easily detect night time without inverting redstone power.|
Xbox 360 Edition compatible detector