Tutorials/Curing a zombie villager
|This page would benefit from the addition of an image.|
Please remove this notice once you've added a suitable image to the article. The specific instructions are: Detailed, high-quality pictures of curing process and/or a high-quality video
This page is a tutorial on how to locate and cure a zombie villager.
About zombie villagers
Zombie villagers have a 5% chance to spawn in place of a regular zombie and can also spawn if a zombie kills a regular villager, depending on the difficulty level. (0% on Easy, 50% on Normal, and 100% on Hard)
Zombie villagers have a similar appearance to normal villagers but have zombie-colored flesh and attempt to attack the player like other zombies.
Equipment needed to cure a zombie villager
- Any type of expendable block (i.e. dirt or cobblestone)
- A full set of armor, preferably iron or above
- Any type of mining tool, such as a pickaxe for stone or shovel for dirt
- Iron bars and a bed to speed up the curing process
Finding and crafting the equipment
Splash Potion of Weakness
To create a Splash Potion of Weakness, it must be brewed using a brewing stand, which can either be crafted using blaze rods and cobblestone or found in a igloo basement, end ship, or a cleric house in a village.
- To brew a Splash Potion of Weakness, you will need:
- 1Fermented Spider Eye, which can be crafted with spider eyes, brown mushroom, and sugar
- 1 to 3 water bottles, which can be obtained by right-clicking a water source with glass bottles
- 1 gunpowder, which can be obtained from creepers and ghasts or found in naturally-generated chests
- 1blaze powder to fuel the brewing stand
Place the three water bottles and the fermented spider eye in the brewing stand, then insert the blaze powder to initiate the brewing process. Once your potions have brewed, place in the gunpowder to convert them into splash potions.
A splash potion of weakness can also be found placed in igloo brewing stands.
Arrow of Weakness
Arrows of Weakness provide an alternative to Splash Potions of Weakness and eliminate the risk of splashing yourself with the weakness potion; however, they are harder to obtain than splash potions.
- Dragon's breath can be obtained by right-clicking the Ender Dragon dragon breath or dragon fireball clouds with an empty glass bottle in hand
- Combine eight arrows and a Lingering Potion of Weakness in a crafting table, and you will craft eight Arrows of Weakness.
Alternatively, there are multiple methods to obtain arrows of weakness without having to fight the Ender Dragon:
- Arrows of weakness can be obtained by filling a cauldron with a Potion of Weakness and then using arrows on it. A full cauldron will tip up to a stack of arrows. [Bedrock, Legacy Console and New Nintendo 3DS editions only]
- Arrows of weakness can be obtained through trades with master level fletcher villagers.
Unenchanted Golden Apple
They can also naturally generate in:
- stronghold altars
- large underwater ruin chests
- dungeon chests
- desert pyramid chests
- mineshaft minecart chests
- woodland mansion chests
- igloo chests
Finding a zombie villager
Zombie villagers spawn in place of a normal zombie 5% of the time and can also be found in igloo basements and zombie villages. Manually scouting your base's perimeter during night is a good way to find zombie villagers.
Curing a zombie villager
- When you find a zombie villager, secure it in a safe area that no hostile mobs can break into. Make sure to include a roof so the zombie villager does not burn when the night ends.
- Select the Splash Potion of Weakness or your bow if you are using Arrows of Weakness.
- Throw the splash potion/shoot the tipped arrow at the zombie villager. If done correctly, the zombie villager should have gray swirls emanating from it; this means that the zombie villager is currently inflicted with weakness.
- Feed the zombie villager the golden apple, done by facing the zombie villager and pressing the use key. If done correctly, the zombie villager will begin to emit red particles and start shaking. Note that Iron bars and beds will speed up the curing process.
- After 2 to 5 minutes have elapsed, the zombie villager will convert into a normal villager. Note that if you found your zombie villager in an igloo basement or a zombie village, you will most likely have to transport them via boats, minecarts, upward bubble columns, nether portals, or other ways of manual movement, as villagers cannot be leashed unlike other mobs.
After the zombie has been cured, you will obtain the Zombie Doctor achievement/advancement if it has not been obtained yet. If the cured villager has a profession, it will permanently provide heavy discounts while trading.[Java Edition only]