|Catches fire from lava||
dec: 131 hex: 83 bin: 10000011
|— Duncan Geere|
A tripwire hook is a block that can be used to detect entities (players, mobs, items, etc.) when part of a tripwire circuit is passed through.
Four tripwire hooks are generated naturally in each jungle temple.
To remove a tripwire hook, mine it. Tripwire hooks can be broken instantly using any tool, or without a tool.
A tripwire hook is also removed and drops itself as an item if:
- its attachment block is moved, removed, or destroyed
- water flows into its space in Java and Legacy Console editions
- a piston tries to push it or moves a block into its space
A tripwire hook is destroyed without dropping itself as an item if lava flows into its space.
|Iron Ingot +
Tripwire hooks can be obtained as a "junk" item from fishing.
Tripwire hooks can be found in 30.5% of pillager outpost chests in stacks of 1–3.
Tripwire hooks can be used as crafting ingredients or as redstone components.
Iron Ingot +
|Trapped Chest||Tripwire Hook +
A tripwire hook can be used to detect mobs, items, and other entities over a large area.
- To place a tripwire hook, use the Place Block control.
- A tripwire hook can be attached to the side of any full solid block, with the inexplicable exception of blocks of redstone and observers.
- In order to function correctly, a tripwire hook must be part of a "tripwire circuit": a straight line of blocks consisting of a block with a tripwire hook attached to it, a "tripwire line" (1 to 40 blocks of tripwire), and a second tripwire hook attached to another block, with both tripwire hooks facing the tripwire.
- To place tripwire, use the Place Block control with a string. Tripwire in a valid tripwire circuit has a short hitbox (0.09375 or 3/32 blocks high, with the bottom 0.0625 or 1/16 blocks above the block below), while tripwire not in a valid tripwire circuit has a taller hitbox (0.5 blocks high, bottom not raised).
- A tripwire hook in an invalid tripwire circuit appears "folded", while a tripwire hook in a valid tripwire circuit appears extended straight. Tripwire lines from separate tripwire circuits can be placed next to each other (in parallel), above each other, and even intersecting each other.
- A tripwire hook in a valid tripwire circuit activates when certain entities (players, mobs, items, etc.) intersect the tripwire hook's tripwire line "hit box" (but not the tripwire hook itself), and deactivates when all entities leave or are removed from the tripwire line.
- Entities that cannot activate a tripwire circuit include thrown potions, some arrows, fireworks, thrown ender pearls, and thrown eyes of ender.
- A tripwire hook also activates for 5 redstone ticks (0.5 seconds, barring lag) when any of its tripwires are destroyed, except when shears are used to destroy the tripwire.
- Breaking the tripwire hook, or breaking the block it is attached to, does not generate a pulse.
- While active, a tripwire hook appears to move downward and it:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust to power level 15, including beneath the tripwire hook
- powers any adjacent redstone comparators or redstone repeaters facing away from the tripwire hook to power level 15
- strongly powers its attachment block to power level 15
- activates any adjacent mechanism components, including above or below, such as pistons, redstone lamps, etc.
- Tripwire produces no power itself, but its state change can be detected with an observer.
- Although destroying tripwire with shears cannot activate a tripwire hook, it changes the tripwire hook's block state (its "attached" state from
false), which can be detected with an observer.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||0.75||0.5||16|
In Bedrock Edition, a tripwire hook's block data stores its orientation, connection status, and activation status:
A two-bit field storing a value from 0 to 3:
|0x4||If set, the tripwire hook is connected and ready to trip ("middle" position).|
|0x8||If set, the tripwire hook is currently activated ("down" position)|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|attached||True if the tripwire hook is connected to a valid tripwire circuit.|
|facing||The direction in which the tripwire hook juts out from the block it is attached to.|
For example, a tripwire hook facing north will be attached to a block to its south.
|powered||True if the tripwire hook is active.|
|1.3.1||May 28, 2012||Dinnerbone released a series of cryptic tweets, starting with "I think I'm taking a big liking toward adventure maps. It's starting to show in my choice of new blocks." He hinted at shears being used to disable the tripwire, then posted a series of images before revealing the name. Afterward, he posted a video to reveal the functionality of the tripwire and finally credited the idea to his fiancee MissMarzenia.|
|12w22a||Added tripwire hooks.|
|1.5||13w01a||Tripwire hooks are now used to craft trapped chests.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Tripwire hooks can now be obtained as one of the "junk" items by fishing.|
|1.8||14w11a||The model of tripwire hooks has now been slightly changed.|
|14w17a||The model of tripwire hooks has now been changed. The stick is now affected by the Smooth Lighting option, the iron is bigger, and the top, side, and stick textures have now been slightly changed.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 131.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of tripwire hooks has now been changed.|
|Tripwire hooks are now used to craft crossbows.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.13.0||build 1||Added tripwire hooks.|
|Tripwire hooks are used to craft trapped chests.|
|1.8.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Tripwire hooks are now used to craft crossbows.|
|1.10.0||beta 220.127.116.11||The texture of tripwire hooks has now been changed.|
|Tripwire hooks can now be found in pillager outpost chests.|
|1.11.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Tripwire hooks can now be sold to fletcher villagers.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||Added tripwire hooks.|
|1.90||The texture of tripwire hooks has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added tripwire hooks.|
The second image of tripwires released by Mojang.
The third image of tripwires released by Mojang.
A comparison between a tripwire hook and a lever released by Mojang.
- "Taking Inventory: Tripwire Hook" by Duncan Geere. Minecraft.net, November 9, 2018
- "I think I'm taking a big liking toward adventure maps. It's starting to show in my choice of new blocks." – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- "Experimenting with some new ideas. Perhaps one day we'll see a pair of shears inside every griefers' toolbox." – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- "That awkward moment when you realize you just spent the last few days unknowingly designing a coat hanger. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36087083/ZScreen/2012-05/28-Monday--0196.126866331.png …" – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- "Haha, I kinda see how it looks like a doorbell, too. Maybe if you pull it a golem should come out and yell "YOU RANG?" https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36087083/ZScreen/2012-05/28-Monday--0197.486672066.png …" – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- "Some people have got it right already, so this should clear up all further confusion and spoil the next update for you https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36087083/ZScreen/2012-05/28-Monday--0198.158946456.png …" – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- "It's a tripwire, yeah." – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012
- "Tripwire Experiments" – Adams Nathan Adams, May 28, 1012 – via YouTube
- "Also, thanks to my wonderful fiancee @MissMarzenia for the idea. Seriously, all credit goes that way." – @Dinnerbone, May 28, 2012