See Data values
dec: 455 hex: 1C7 bin: 111000111
See Data values
|“||If you don't want to throw it away permanently, then you should invest in Loyalty. This common enchantment makes your trident come back to you. Riptide, which makes you lunge with your trident when you throw it (as long as you're in water, or it's raining) is also well worth seeking out!||„|
|— Tom Stone|
A trident is a spear-like weapon that can be used in melee or ranged combat.
- 1 Obtaining
- 2 Usage
- 3 Data values
- 4 Achievements
- 5 Advancements
- 6 History
- 7 Issues
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Tridents are not craftable; they can only be obtained via the methods below.
15% of drowned will spawn with a trident as their natural weapon, and they have an 8.5% chance of dropping the trident which has a random durability. Each level of Looting will increase the chance by 1 percentage point (11.5% with Looting III).
Drowned can also drop a trident as one of its normal drops. The trident has a 3.7% chance, 4% chance with Looting I, 4.3% chance with Looting II, and 4.7% chance with Looting III of dropping itself.[Legacy Console and Bedrock editions only] The trident will always be undamaged in this way.
In Bedrock Edition, a zombie can be converted to a drowned with a trident that can be dropped. In the Java and Console editions, only naturally-spawned drowned will spawn with a trident or have a chance of dropping one.
15% of drowned will spawn with a trident as its natural weapon and it will use it to attack its target. They will throw the trident at its opponent every 1.5 seconds, which will deal 8 () damage to its target. Villagers can also be turned into zombie villagers if it was killed by a trident thrown by a drowned, this chance is 0% on Easy difficulty, 50% on Normal and 100% on Hard and Hardcore.
In Bedrock Edition, drowned can use the trident’s melee attack if its target is three blocks away or less, which deals 9 () damage to its target.
The trident the drowned spawned with will never be enchanted, and the drowned can throw an infinite amount of tridents without losing it.
Pressing attack while holding a trident will increase the damage to both mobs and players. Upon damaging a mob or player, the trident's durability will decrease by 1.
Pressing and holding use while holding a trident will charge the trident. When released at full charge, the trident will be thrown and deal damage to the entity that it hits, if any. It flies on a ballistic trajectory similar to that of an arrow, but at 80% strength. If the trident hits a block, it will stick to the block, and if it hits an entity, it will bounce and land nearby. It is also blocked by shields, and can be retrieved once it lands in the ground. Thrown tridents can press wooden buttons and pressure plates.
Tridents enchanted with Loyalty will return to the thrower within seconds, with shorter recovery intervals at higher levels of enchantment. However, throwing a Loyalty-enchanted trident into the Void will destroy it. Players should therefore exercise caution when using ranged trident attacks against the ender dragon and other mobs in the End.
Tridents enchanted with Riptide cannot be thrown.
Unlike other projectiles, the trident does not slow down when thrown through water.
Tridents have an attack speed of 1.1 and take ~0.91 seconds to recover.
|Attack damage||9 ()||13 ( × 6.5)||8 ()|
|Damage/Second (DPS)[note 1]||9.9||14.3||?|
|Lifetime damage inflicted[note 2]||2259 ( × 1129.5)||3263 ( × 1631.5)||2008 ( × 1004)|
- This does not take travel time into account
- The formula to find the total lifetime damage is Durability × Damage per hit = Lifetime damage minimum. It ignores enchantments and critical hits, and assumes the trident is at maximum charge
Legacy Console Edition and Bedrock Edition
|Attack damage||9 ()||8 ()|
|Lifetime damage inflicted[note 1]||~2,259||~2,008|
- The formula to find the total lifetime damage is Durability × Damage per hit = Lifetime damage minimum. It excludes enchantments and critical hits
Tridents can receive the following enchantments:
- Loyalty (Max III) [note 1] — a thrown trident returns to the player after a few seconds
- Channeling (Max I) [note 1] — a thrown trident hitting a mob during a thunderstorm summons a lightning bolt
- Riptide (Max III) [note 1] — throwing a trident when in water or rain transports (throws) the player
- Impaling (Max V) — deals extra melee or ranged damage to living aquatic mobs (not drowned)
- Unbreaking(Max III) — increases durability (Max III)
- Mending (Max I) [note 2] — when trident is held, XP orbs collected will repair it rather than increase the player's XP.
- Curse of Vanishing (Max I) [note 2][Java and Legacy Console editions only] — trident disappears upon player's death
Tridents can be repaired by combining a damaged trident with another on an anvil, by crafting, or the Mending enchantment. Combining damaged tridents with a crafting table or the 2×2 inventory grid will remove any enchantments.
|Trident||Name ID||Numeric ID|
Tridents have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the entity.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all projectiles see Template:Nbt inherit/projectile/template
- shake: The "shake" when arrows hit a block.
- pickup: 0 = cannot be picked up by players. 1 = can be picked up by players in survival or creative. 2 = can only be picked up by players in creative.
- player: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If pickup is not used, and this is true, the arrow can be picked up by players.
- life: Increments each tick when an arrow is not moving; resets to 0 if it moves. When it ticks to 1200, the arrow despawns.
- damage: Damage dealt by the arrow, in half-hearts. May not be a whole number. 2.0 for normal arrows, and increased 0.5 per level of Power enchantment on the firing bow. If the Power enchantment is present, an additional 0.5 is added on (so Power I gives a bonus of 1.0, while Power II gives 1.5).
- inGround: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If the Projectile is in the ground or hit the ground already (For arrow pickup; you cannot pickup arrows in the air)
- crit: 1 or 0 (true/false) - Whether the arrow will deal critical damage.
- ShotFromCrossbow:[upcoming 1.14] 1 or 0 (true/false) - Whether the arrow is shot from a crossbow.
- PierceLevel:[upcoming 1.14] The amount of times this arrow can pierce through an entity.
- SoundEvent:[upcoming 1.14] The sound event to play when hitting a block/mob, saved but not used by tridents, setting this to a custom sound event will crash the server.
- Trident: The tag representing the item that will be given when the entity is picked up.
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/itemnoslot/template
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Do a Barrel Roll!||Use Riptide to give yourself a boost||Obtain a trident enchanted with Riptide and launch yourself any distance with it.||No||PS4||Yes||No||30G||Silver|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Not Today, Thank You||Deflect an arrow with a shield||Suit Up||Deflect a projectile with a shield.|
|A Throwaway Joke||Throw a trident at something.|
Note: Throwing away your only weapon is not a good idea.
|Very Very Frightening||Strike a Villager with lightning||A Throwaway Joke||Hit a villager with lightning created by a trident with the Channeling enchantment.|
|Sniper duel||Kill a skeleton from more than 50 meters away||Take Aim||Use a projectile to kill a skeleton from 50 or more blocks away, horizontally.|
|November 18, 2017||A trident was shown killing a zombie in a clip presented at MineCon Earth.|
|1.13||18w07a||Added tridents, which are currently unobtainable in survival.|
|18w10a||Tridents will now have a new texture in the hotbar.|
|18w11a||Added drowned mobs, which can spawn with a trident, allowing tridents to now become obtainable in survival.|
|18w14a||If the player is not in water and it is not raining, the player is now no longer able to throw tridents enchanted with Riptide, but they can still deal melee damage.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w43a||Thrown tridents can now break chorus flowers.|
|1.4||beta 184.108.40.206||Added tridents as part of Experimental Gameplay.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Fully implemented tridents.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||A new animation for trident with Riptide when throwing it has been added.|
|1.5||beta 22.214.171.124||Tridents can now be enchanted with Mending and Unbreaking.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Tridents will now no longer break blocks in Creative mode.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU69||1.76||Patch 38||Added tridents.|
- If Sharpness is applied to a trident using anvils in Creative mode or commands, the trident's ranged damage will be increased as well as its melee damage.
- "Java Devs Talk Update Aquatic" – Minecraft.net, February 16, 2018