Tiers refer to the different levels and materials of tools and weapons.
There are currently six tiers in the game: wood, stone, iron, diamond, netherite, and gold. The tier of an item determines its mining level, durability, mining speed multiplier, damage multiplier, enchantability, and repair item .
|Tier name||Mining level||Durability||Mining speed multiplier||Damage bonus[a]||Enchantability||Repair item|
- The damage bonus is added to the base attack damage of 1. Most tiered items further modify their attack damage value.
- The warped planks and the crimson planks work only in Java Edition.
Other mechanics in the game use these tiers for various purposes.
- Ancient debris, blocks of netherite, crying obsidian, obsidian, respawn anchors require a pickaxe to have a mining level of 3 or better.
- Blocks of diamond, diamond ore, blocks of emerald, emerald ore, blocks of gold, gold ore, and redstone ore require a pickaxe to have a mining level of 2 or better.
- Blocks of iron, iron ore, lapis lazuli blocks, and lapis lazuli ore require a pickaxe to have a mining level of 1 or better.
|Java Edition Indev|
|0.31||20100201-2||Tier system for wooden, stone, iron, diamond, and gold tools added. Before this update, blocks and ores can be broken by hand.|
|1.16||20w06a||Netherite tools added to tier system.|
|1.16.2||20w29a||Tools are now sorted based on their tier in the creative inventory.|