Tiers refer to the different levels and materials of tools and weapons.
There are currently five (six in Java Edition 1.16 and Bedrock Edition 1.16.0) tiers in the game: wood, stone, iron, diamond, and gold. The netherite tier is introduced In Java Edition 1.16 and Bedrock Edition 1.16.0. The tier of an item determines its mining level, durability, mining speed multiplier, damage multiplier, enchantability, and repair items.
|Tier Name||Mining Level||Durability||Mining Speed Multiplier||Damage Bonus[n 1]||Enchantability||Repair Item|
|Netherite[upcoming: JE 1.16 & BE 1.16.0]||4||2031||9||4||15||Netherite Ingot|
- The damage bonus is added to the base attack damage of 1. Most tiered items further modify their attack damage value.
Other mechanics in the game use these tiers for various purposes.
- Piglins are attracted to items in the gold tier, along with various other gold items.[upcoming: JE 1.16 & BE 1.16.0]
- Obsidian, crying obsidian,[upcoming: JE 1.16] blocks of netherite,[upcoming: JE 1.16 & BE 1.16.0] and ancient debris[upcoming: JE 1.16 & BE 1.16.0] require a pickaxe to have a mining level of 3 or better.
- Blocks of diamond, diamond ore, blocks of emerald, emerald ore, blocks of gold, gold ore, and redstone ore require a pickaxe to haver a mining level of 2 or better.
- Blocks of iron, iron ore, lapis lazuli blocks, and lapis lazuli ore require a pickaxe to have a mining level of 1 or better.
|This section needs more information.|
Information requested: When the tiers were added.