- 1 New feature?
- 2 Name
- 3 Use of vines?
- 4 Bug in Vines
- 5 Trivia and versioning
- 6 Clean up
- 7 big jungle trees
- 8 New Vine Bug
- 9 Can Mobs Climb them Like Ladders?
- 10 The Paintings Bug
- 11 Cheaper than ladders?
- 12 Growing time?
- 13 Question about using with no solid block next to it
- 14 Vines only can be placed on opaque blocks except leaves
- 15 Citation needed??
- 16 Stop them growing down?
- 17 Change breaking time for shears from 0.05s to 0.3s
Where is the proof that this is going to be added? Discount Flunky 22:32, 3 July 2011 (UTC)
- Jeb thought it was interesting, and somebody added it to the Upcoming Features page. It has been confirmed. Camo Shoe Club 23:32, 3 July 2011 (UTC)
- The above is not the vines, this is: http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/205-18-updates-changing-the-chests/ Ominous0 21:39, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- Huh? They are the same tile. --Warlock 21:52, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- no, in terrain.png underneath fully grown wheat are 3 new textures. the top two are the vines dangling down from the tree, the bottom one is the ivy that grows on walls (or whatever) --HexZyle 01:37, 4 September 2011 (UTC)
- …No, both of the above images clearly contain the same tile. Whatever that… wilty thing is(it honestly looks like Asparagus), it clearly wants to be rooted to the ground. Besides, why the hell would the texture be upside-down? Shellface 01:43, 4 September 2011 (UTC)
- I think the "hanging vines" you see are the stalks for the punkin and melons. While they are growing. And the one that bends to the left is when it is fully grown. and it is "attached" to the stalk.Geonightman 14:23, 8 September 2011 (UTC)
The mouse-over for ivy in creative doesn't actually produce a name, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcNgWEhlAxg (at 1:05, use an advanced media player to play one frame at a time) meaning it's still an unnamed object. i just thought this strange piece of info might be worth mentioning --HexZyle 15:56, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
Use of vines?
Can anyone think of a use for vines other than decorative purposes and camouflaging houses and shelters? 188.8.131.52 21:33, 8 September 2011 (UTC)
- Tinting pixels? mhm. I really cant see any other use than what you've already stated.--Neil2250 17:07, 14 September 2011 (UTC)
- Do mobs pass through them too? 184.108.40.206 07:13, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- Camouflage Armor: Crafting armor with vines for some sort of disguise to pass through mobs but that slow movement and taking more damage than regular armor would be a great idea, but of course, it's just an idea. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (Talk) 04:57, 17 November 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Heh. A Ghillie suit (Idiot verification won't let me post a link to wikipedia) would be cool. Sneak/squat and be harder to see. --18.104.22.168 11:35, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
Bug in Vines
I'm not sure if anyone else is getting this but that's why I'm here: Some times when attempting to place a vine onto a pre-existing vine the vine you tried to place disappears. This usually happens in corners. Can anyone replicate this? --Delta64 03:49, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
- Whenever I have had this the vine has not disappeared as such, it has been placed onto a nearby block instead. GentlemanRiatsala 06:50, 20 September 2011 (UTC)
- This also occurs with ladders. Check the block behind you, it may have been placed there --HexZyle 14:01, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
- This happens to me, you can only place one vine in any block, although more can grow there. i think it is a bug that placing them in a different side of a block removes one from your pocket The big un 11:48, 2 October 2011
- In the upcoming 1.2 update on wiki, it says that one of the features will be to be able to climb vines. This however will only happen if the vines are placed on a solid block (like ladders).
it would be pretty cool when the jungle biome comes out and we can jump from tree to tree and even climb up vines just like the minecraft video 'predator'! –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Olivia9876 (Talk|Contribs) 00:54, 5 February 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Trivia and versioning
In the trivia section, I believe people are confusing different versions of Minecraft:
- Like signs and ladders, only one vine may occupy a given block.
- Multiple vines can be in the same block space, but count as one block for most purposes.
Please only put information for the latest official release, and do not include 'leaked' prereleases or release candidates. LB 01:19, 16 November 2011 (UTC)
This page is two lines of body text then dozens of lines of Trivia. It needs to be cleaned up. --Moxxy 05:57, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- I've made a start moving all history content into a history catagory. Ben11113333 12:55, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- I have also added a uses and am starting a bugs catagory. Ben11113333 13:08, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- Right I think im done, is the page any better now? Ben11113333 13:16, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- Maybe a lot of the facts should be moved into "properties" section. --Flajuram 20:35, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
big jungle trees
when you grow a huge jungle tree (2x2) it appears to have vines already on it can anyone else confirm this because im not sure then add it to the article The big un 15:56, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
- Confirmed. I'll add it now.--Systempain 07:19, 30 March 2012 (UTC)
New Vine Bug
I was playing on a world and a fell off a cliff and grabbed onto a vine that left off blocks. I was still falling like I was on a vine that was on a block. I couldn't climb up but I could shift and stay on the vines and go left and right. I was wondering if I should add that as a bug or not. Killrbladez 23:23, 26 March 2012 (UTC)
- You think that's bad, I can't climb or hold on to vines at all! Did 1.2.4 change stuff or is it because of my mods? --22.214.171.124 10:22, 30 March 2012 (UTC)
- EDIT FROM: You think that's bad, I can't climb or hold on to vines at all! Did 1.2.4 change stuff or is it because of my mods? --126.96.36.199 10:22, 30 March 2012 (UTC)
- I found out it was my mods. I dunno which one it is, but I can't climb ladders or vines.--188.8.131.52 09:21, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
Can Mobs Climb them Like Ladders?
- If a mob walks into vines on a solid block, it will climb them. However, they do not do this intentionally the way a player would. -- Orthotope 09:22, 7 May 2012 (UTC)
The Paintings Bug
The fact that vines can grow over paintings is not a bug, it is actually trivia, because a painting is an entity, not a block, so minecraft does not notice a painting there, so it goes ahead and grows vines there. So this is not a bug, and thus should be put in the Trivia section.
Also you could use this to make secret passages on painting-covered walls so you can't see the vines, but they are there, and fully climbable,so now you can hide your secret room.
Cheaper than ladders?
I'm struggling to see the reasoning in the article for vines being cheaper than ladders. To make ladders, you just need to cut down trees for wood, which can be easily farmed and are thus renewable. To get vines you need to use shears, which require iron. While that's technically renewable since zombies occasionally drop iron ingots now, it's far more effort to get iron than it is to get wood. 184.108.40.206 13:11, 25 May 2012 (UTC)
- They're cheaper if you need tall ladders, since you can plant just the top one and let the rest grow on their own; and two iron ingots aren't that hard to get. For example, I planted vines around the perimeter of my latest quarry, using about half the durability on a set of shears. When I finished, every wall of the quarry was climbable, all the way down to bedrock. To achieve the same effect with ladders would have required over a thousand wood blocks. If you only need half a dozen to get to the top of your shelter, then yes, ladders are probably less effort. -- Orthotope 13:48, 25 May 2012 (UTC)
- True enough. 220.127.116.11 13:40, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
How long does it take for vines to grow one block down? It seems to be taking forever for me. - Zachera 06:57, 18 July 2012 (UTC)
- The code is somewhat complicated, but it looks like it has a 1/16 chance of growing on every block tick. Should be around 10 minutes on average. -- Orthotope 07:52, 18 July 2012 (UTC)
Question about using with no solid block next to it
On XxSlyFoxHoundxX's latest video - "Ultimate Tree Survival | Ep.10 ft Lucie | Creeper Goes Kobe" it looks like you can climb down Vines without a solid block behind it. Discussion/Thoughts? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (Talk) 01:20, 3 August 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- This is part of the 'vines act like ladders' feature; they reduce movement speed and prevent fall damage. You can even grab onto hanging vines with the sneak key and move horizontally on them, as long as you're careful to stay in vine blocks; you just can't go back up. It can be quite convenient at times. -- Orthotope 03:03, 3 August 2012 (UTC)
- actually I have climbed up vines before, no mods or potions or anything. then an update came and my old way of doing it (holding shift and pressing up) was not working. now I can climb them with space and up, but I walk through them as I climb so I can never reach the top. Edit: actually I was able to reach the top but it took 15 minutes. 22.214.171.124 18:53, 11 August 2018 (UTC) 126.96.36.199 18:48, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
Vines only can be placed on opaque blocks except leaves
As far as I can tell, they can't be placed on solid but completely transparent blocks. Tried with glass and pistons. Should I change the page? --188.8.131.52 16:39, 15 November 2012 (UTC)
"When descending vines, if the vines overhang an empty space, it is possible to continue descending down the vines as if there were a block there. You can't climb back up the vines without solid blocks behind all of the vine pieces, though."
Well, I've tested it and found it to be true. Will that be sufficient citation?--184.108.40.206 19:49, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
Stop them growing down?
Any way to stop them growing downward? I'm using vines as a brake / fall distance reset for an XP dropper, and they keep growing down the hole, making it take longer to kill the skeletons from the dungeon spawner. --StarChaser Tyger 00:11, 23 August 2013 (UTC)
- Ok, if anyone's interested, they apparently won't grow into the space occupied by torches. I put up a wall on my creative test world, put a line of vines on both sides of it, and a line of torches under one side, and a line of glowstone opposite the other (Not on the wall, a block away) just to keep the light levels similar. After 20 minutes or so, all the vines on the no-torch side had grown at least one blocks' worth, while not one single one on the torch side had. --StarChaser Tyger 01:26, 23 August 2013 (UTC)
Change breaking time for shears from 0.05s to 0.3s
Hello, I'm asking for your help. I tried to do it myself, but the template did not allow me to change the breaking time. Please change the breaking time of the shears from 0.05s to 0.3s (It's already correct in the shears). Thank you! --220.127.116.11 22:24, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
- Discuss a template on the template's talk page, not here. 18.104.22.168 23:34, 12 June 2015 (UTC)