Talk:Tutorials/Things not to do
- 1 Another Cleanup
- 2 Cleanup
- 3 Don't risk your life for Diamonds
- 4 Don't use bows on enderman
- 5 Don't move beds without telling fellow server members
- 6 Don't waste resources
- 7 Don't walk into lava just because its shiny.
- 8 Never eat rotten zombie flesh
- 9 Delete Section Request: "Don't mine at day"
- 10 Another Another Cleanup
- 11 Separate page for multiplayer?
- 12 Request some rewriting for clarification
- 13 Misplacing
- 14 Remove fake chunks sub-section?
- 15 Don't play without sound.
- 16 Don't sleep twice...
- 17 Can we remove this section?
- 18 Suggestion: Split up the tutorial?
- 19 Misc issues
- 20 Combat in the Article
- 21 (untitled)
I am removing the section "Don't let passive mobs push you around on dangerous terrain", since passive mobs no longer push the player.--220.127.116.11 15:44, 26 April 2013 (UTC)purpletape
This thing needs a cleanup; advice like "Don't kill mobs in the Nether" and "Don't place a bed next to an ourside wall" are irrelevant now. I'll poke at it for a bit tonight, but it needs looking at. --Vekter 03:53, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
- I changed "don't kill mobs in the Nether" to "don't goof around in the nether", since killing mobs in the nether is rather on a TO DO list-you just have to be carefull about it. I changed the contents quite a bit, but my writing could use some help.18.104.22.168 06:38, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
- I went through and cleaned up just about everything. I added little/no actual information and reserved judgement on what needed to be removed entirely, but the spelling, grammar, and style should be better now. Marksmanship 00:03, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
Don't risk your life for Diamonds
Good advice, but one can easily isolate the diamond from lava by using cobblestone or gravel/sand, or even water in a pinch. I've done it multiple times; it's not the safest of work, but it's not as dangerous as it's made out to be. --Vekter 03:53, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
Yes, but what if there's lava underneath the diamond? In general experience, I find it wiser to mine mineral veins not in proximity to lava, or above it (making an obsidian platform on the way). Avoid mining minerals on the shores of lava lakes, and especially underneath them. I have only ever died during mining by lava, whilst attempting to obtain resources of which the value is miniscule compared to the already mined minerals. Many players would rather keep a stack of Iron ore, than risk it all for a diamond (noticably, the Iron from your average spelunking trip makes tools that can mine overall more blocks than the diamonds from the same trip). Grind3r 16:56, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
Don't use bows on enderman
The part on Don't use bows on enderman mentions that flame enchanted arrows can hit them, this is now outdated. Not sure what snapshot fixed it so I'll let someone else fix it. FGHIK
- This topic has been completed and should be removed.
- -SuperDyl19 (talk) 05:36, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
Don't move beds without telling fellow server members
Beds can be helpful but tricky. Helpful by letting you sleep peacefully through the night with no disturbance. But, they can also kill you. If you pick them up, your spawn is back to where you entered the game. Once you move your bed to the location you want. Remember, they are used to set your spawn in case you die. Don't underestimate the power of the bed. You can use it for safety or to be a troll. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 17:21, 19 June 2013 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Don't waste resources
"if your planks have been turned into sticks, then you can't craft a new chest for your ridiculous amount of sticks." Touche.
Also, you should NEVER EVER use coal blocks for fireplaces. they burn longer than logs, but it's a total waste of coal. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 02:09, 14 July 2013 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- No offence, the part in which you said that you should never use coal blocks for fireplaces, I slightly disagree with you. I would make coal blocks for huge stacks of things to cook/smelt. Also, it isn't such a huge waste of coal since coal is extremely common. Anyways, you can make charcoal if you do run out of coal or even better, make a mine or find a cave and mine up coal. --EagleWarior (talk) 11:47, 10 February 2014 (UTC)
- Confirmed (I realize I'm responding to an older comment). Using coal blocks is even recommended when you need to smelt larger amounts of items (think cobblestone to get stone) because 1 coal block will last longer than 9 coal items. PS: I also took the liberty of changing "that logs" into "than logs" in the OP's message, and adding indention to the response above mine. - ShelLuser (talk) 09:12, 8 August 2017 (UTC)
Don't walk into lava just because its shiny.
Never eat rotten zombie flesh
Never eat rotten flesh
Only a newbie would do this. Never eat it because it can kill you. The only thing you use rotten flesh for is to feed pets. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Drewser24 (talk • contribs) at 00:27, 4 February 2014 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I would as a last resort if I am out of food and my hunger bar is very low. Would you? Also, rotten flesh can't really kill you unless you move around too much. --EagleWarior (talk) 11:50, 10 February 2014 (UTC)
Rotton flesh doesnt kill you it gives u hunger.--Hardwoodwork (talk) 19:25, 19 September 2018 (UTC)
Delete Section Request: "Don't mine at day"
Spawning is calculated per-block, not a set limit of monsters per chunk. Nighttime will not "draw" the monsters out from caves into the open. Unfortunately as a new user, I am not allowed to delete sections. Please delete this inaccuracy. 188.8.131.52 22:17, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Another Another Cleanup
Removed tips "Don't use iron or diamond to mine stone" because mining stone is a perfectly fine use for iron or diamond once a stable supply is collected, and "place seeds right after hoeing the ground" because it was annoying to read, difficult to understand, did not make sense, and it is perfectly fine to wait for farmland to hydrate before adding seeds. 184.108.40.206 04:16, 31 May 2014 (UTC)
Separate page for multiplayer?
I noticed that multiplayer has its own section on this page, and I believe that it would be far more organized for multiplayer to have a page of its own, rather than embedded in an already enormous page. What do you think?
--220.127.116.11 07:15, 16 August 2014 (UTC)
By the way, if someone were to do that, what would it be called? Perhaps "Dos and don'ts in multiplayer" or maybe "Things not to do in multiplayer"? And yes, I agree that this page is enormous. :-D Minceraft001 (talk) 17:46, 4 September 2015 (UTC)
Request some rewriting for clarification
Many sections have run on sentences and horrid grammar. They read like they are written by 12 year olds. For some of the folk that spend more time editing on here, perhaps some time could be spent re-writing sections so they are more clear and easily understood? 18.104.22.168 18:38, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
Remove fake chunks sub-section?
The "don't get fooled by fake chunks" sub-section should be removed as fake chunks can no longer be accessed as of 1.7.2, and they were removed in 1.8. Should that sub-section be removed or do we keep it there? --ToonLucas22 (talk) 14:36, 17 December 2014 (UTC)
Don't play without sound.
I suggest adding a sentence about playing without sound on. When on any difficulty other than peaceful, creepers and other mobs can sneak up on you more easily without sound on. This is especially bad when on hardcore mode. 22.214.171.124 21:25, 15 January 2015 (UTC)
Don't sleep twice...
In the first section (!), Possible Death, 1.2 and 1.3.5 cover basically the same subject, although the latter offers more information. In case you're wondering, they both tell you to not sleep in the Nether or End and are called, respectively, "Never sleeping in the nether or end" and "Don't use a bed in the Nether or End". Just wondering if this could get cleared up, as I'm not very good at coding... Thanks! Minceraft001 (talk) 17:14, 4 September 2015 (UTC)
Can we remove this section?
"Don't make your PvP soldiers overdone (e.g. juggernaut and nether exotic.)" is a section I do not understand. All this section does is confuse me and I can't make any sense out of it. This section only seems to give advice for a smaller selection of servers, in fact, only survival PvP servers such as factions seem to apply with this tip. I'd like some advice or someone to remove the section for me unless the section has a lot of importance where it would be nice to have someone revise it for clarification.
- Thanks! -SuperDyl19 (talk) 06:33, 13 December 2015 (UTC)
Suggestion: Split up the tutorial?
This tutorial is huge and I think it's sheer size is way too much to make this easy to navigate and/or follow. I don't have any specific ideas about a possible format yet (I still need to read through all of the tutorial) but I think 2 or 3 smaller tutorials which specifically cover a certain aspect will be much more accessible. For example: "Things not to do in the Overworld", "Things not to do in the Nether"...
- This definately is a fair point. The real giant issue this tutorial faces is its definition. The tutorial is called "Things not to do", yet the tutorial page is about community tips on Minecraft gameplay. I would like to suggest some goals that may work well for this page. These goals may not be best and should be talked about by the wiki community.
- The page should be updated to the style guidelines. This includes removing instances of the words "you" and "your" and replacing them with "the player". Other edits should remove contractions, redundant information, and outdated information. Paragraphs should be edited to be easier to read. Titles should also follow these guidelines.
- Section headings should be placed under a common format. Suggestions I have is to remove words such as "don't" as it's slightly redundant and to make headers more concise.
- Hyperlinks to other Minecraft wiki pages should be added wherever possibly appropriate.
- Unimportant information, especially tangents, should be removed from the tutorial to create more conciseness and cleaner reading.
- Headings should be combined where possible to remove redundant and nearly redundant community tips.
- These ideas are what I believe to be the most important things to do to this page in order to bring it to a useable state. To maintain this page for the future, a set of rules should be created for the page which better outline what information is important for this page and what should stay removed. I also believe this page should be renamed to "Community Gameplay Tips" or this tutorial should be merged with the other tips tutorial. I will begin following this suggested outline, but other contributes should definately weigh in on what they think should be done with this page.
- -SuperDyl19 (talk) 00:06, 7 November 2017 (UTC)
- Currently, I am removing all instances of "you" or "your" from the page and replacing them with "the player". This requires fixes to keep parallel sentence structure. At the same time, I've also been removing some redundant information and clearing up confusing lines. If you'd like to help in this project at all, I would suggest doing the same or finding something else to fix and reporting it here if help is needed.
- -SuperDyl19 (talk) 05:55, 7 November 2017 (UTC)
- Almost all contractions and instances of "you" and "your" have been removed from the page. I don't know what to do with the headers yet. I think there should be a common convention across the headers before attempting to edit all of them. I also cleaned up the page a little so most redundancies within topics are gone and the page should be easier to read. Redundancies still exist between topics and some topics should be moved to "Tips and tricks" as they are things to do, not things which shouldn't be done. Finally, this talk page needs some cleanup, which I think I can do after finishing the main page. Doing so will allow me to first fix the page then fix issues that still exist that others noticed on the talk page. I will keep an eye out for new additions to the talk page though. Please help with any editing of this page and ask any questions if you're confused on what I'm doing.
- -SuperDyl19 (talk) 08:14, 12 November 2017 (UTC)
I know I'm playing the devils advocate right now but "Don't forget to carry a bucket of water" seems highly out of place in a tutorial about things not to do. Second: I'm going to take the liberty of removing the entire section about the killer rabbit because there's no way those will ever naturally spawn in the wild anymore (I was going to suggest this, then noticed others also removing sections which had become obsolete).
- First off, thanks for removing the now useless section on killer rabbits. Now I really want to talk about the second thing: one of the problems this article has. Many of the suggestions on things to avoid doing are closer to tips. While it's important to bring flint and steel to the nether to avoid being trapped, suggestions such as bringing a water bucket to mining trips are suggestions. I propose that some sections will need to be moved to the tutorial "tips and tricks" to solve this problem.
- ---SuperDyl19 (talk) 07:17, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
Combat in the Article
I noticed this specifically in the topic "Don't use non-weapon tools for damaging mobs". The page ignores the differences in combat between the Java and other editions (including Bedrock and Legacy) of Minecraft. Some will need to fix this. If no one else does, after I make some other changes to the page, I may fix it myself. -SuperDyl19 (talk) 04:23, 10 November 2017 (UTC)
I don't have an account here, but I noticed a few mistakes and thought I should point them out. I never did this before, so I am very, very sorry if I'm doing this wrong.
•Inaccuracy: It says that the player is not immune to void damage, even in creative, but this is not true- at least, not on Bedrock Edition. In Bedrock Edition, you can go into the void in creative mode without taking any damage.
•Grammar mistake: It says, "If the player attempts to fight a skeleton while the player in water..." It SHOULD say, "If the player attempts to fight a skeleton while the player is in water..."
- Hey there, thank you very much for reporting these mistakes; you are entirely correct about these. For the inaccuracy problem, I've simply removed "even in creative", as this information is incorrect for Bedrock and Nintendo 3DS (I accidentally wrote the wrong editions in my edit summary), and isn't important anyways considering the tutorial is meant for survival. The grammar problem is a simple mistake; I've fixed it.
- No reason to apologize for not posting perfectly correct; you're new here and nobody knows all the formatting rules on their first edit. :) But in the future, if you want to add a new topic to a talk page, it's easiest to format correctly if you click "Add topic" on the topish sidebar and write the message there. Also, all messages you make should end with "--~~~~", which when you save the page will automatically be replaced with your signature. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!--Madminecrafter12 (Talk to me | View what I've done) 22:52, 11 August 2019 (UTC)