Talk:Tutorials/Iron golem farming
- Only beds and villagers are needed to spawn iron golems
- Villagers don't need workstations and don't need to sleep in the beds
In my quest to figure out how to convert an existing village to an iron golem farm in a way that's feasible in survival mode, I found that those two facts aren't enough. So far I have learned:
- The iron golem often spawns during the mingling period of the day, but also at other times.
- The spawn location appears to have no relationship to the placement of beds.
In the image to the right, my farm (with 24 beds symmetrically arranged in the buildings around the water trap) seems to spawn golems mostly between the well and the trap. The one I observed spawning firsthand appeared about at the crosshairs in the image, near the bell under the well roof. I suspect that the spawning is either in a region around the bell, or in a region around a specific gossiping villager like in the Java Edition.
- Update: I destroyed the two small buildings on either side of my trap in case they extended the spawn area off to the sides. Now I have just two parallel rows of beds with the water trap in between and slabs on the ground outside. That didn't help. The iron golem still spawns near the well.
- So I removed the bell from the well, and suspended it above the lava pit in the trap, and created a fenced pathway 3 blocks above the water trap so the villagers could get to it by stairways. Sure enough, they started mingling there, or around the stairways... and a golem spawned again, but between the trap and the well.
- Then I broke all the doors in all buildings except my sleeping buildings, so the doors are symmetrical around the trap. The next 3 golems spawned closer to the trap, but still outside of it. The spawn rules seem buggy; occasionally a golem spawns halfway stuck in the ground.
- I suspect that in Bedrock 1.11, the golem spawns around some center that isn't determined by beds, the bell, doors, or any specific villager. ~ Amatulic (talk) 17:49, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
- It seems the YouTube video for Bedrock isn't valid anymore, so I deleted the related content from the article.
- In my experiments in the flat world, iron golems don't just spawn in a range away from the head or the foot of a bed. They can spawn all around. Strangely, no matter what orientation I use for the beds, the golems never, ever, spawn on the south side of the farm. They're heavily biased toward one side. I think the Bedrock golem spawn mechanics are buggy still. ~ Amatulic (talk) 04:37, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Turns out spawn center is determined by beds, or a bell, sometimes one or the other. It's unpredictable and hard to control. I updated the article and added a couple of screenshots to Amatulic (talk) 21:00, 14 June 2019 (UTC) . Not much else to add to the Bedrock part of this article until Mojang addresses the problems. Golems spawning half-buried in the ground, and spawning on slabs, and unpredictable or constantly-changing spawn centers will make AFK farms impossible, requiring constant monitoring and intervention. ~