Talk:Tutorials/Building a metropolis
- 1 Page Redone
- 2 Suggestions?
- 3 About new page revision.
- 4 A suggestion for the "shield" of this page
- 5 A list of changes that could be made
- 6 Log in
- 7 Suggestions
- 8 Criticizing Meeples10's Edits
- 9 City Hall
- 10 Urban Zone
- 11 Ideal Changes
- 12 Remove the "Dungeon Arena" and "Capture The Flag Arena"
- 13 Island
- 14 Coruscant
- 15 Questions and Concerns
- 16 Too Many Ideas
- 17 entertainment
I just rewrote the entire page. How do you like it? yoshidude56 19:29, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
- I like it. But it good do with a few edits, no offence :) --22.214.171.124 01:31, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for the feedback :) --Yoshidude56 03:34, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
- WHAT THE??!!!! You redid the entire page?! Seriously?? You should have gotten permission from NOCH!!!! --126.96.36.199 01:56, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
- WHO IS THIS "NOCH"? Yoshidude56 01:53, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
- WHO IS THIS "NOCH"? Yoshidude56 01:53, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
I have two things to say. 1. That person means NOTCH, who created Minecraft. 2. Please could you ask around BEFORE you redo it. I like your changes but the original was bigger. However I like the fact that you have tried and you have done a great job. I founded this page, but it does say "If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly or redistributed by others, do not submit it." Just anyone who reads these words, add suggestions to this new page. Thanks for stopping it from being deleted :) CycloneChilli 18:36, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
- 1. I know. 2. Thanks :) Yoshidude56 21:50, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
Idk if I'm allowed to edit yet, but when I am I will fix the grammar. It irks me to read a sentence saying "It should be made stone bricks or bedrock. No offence though! :) KFiles 00:44, 7 June 2014 (UTC)
I like the rewrite. Notch is not admin/owner of this wiki, the owner is curse. Who you should have asked is an admin of the wiki. 188.8.131.52 14:54, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
Seeming that MCW hasn't got any suggestions along this page, I'll add to it. To start with take off the nightclub, and make it into a disco place instead (I know this sounds dumb because I'm talking about the same thing, but the nightclub has drinks, and yet the "Dance Lounge" has no drinks.). Sound good? Add your suggestions here! –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (Talk) 09:57, 26 June 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I think there should also be a prison(Not a jail) to hold both players and mobs just for fun. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (Talk) 15:39, 1 July 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I know none of us want to lose this page. it is one of the best tutorial pages. It bring life to the usual boring creative mode. For the page's sake plz keep it appropriate. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Builder200000 (Talk|Contribs) 04:02, 3 July 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- That backup is actually really useful right now since I'm adding more content from the original page :) Yoshidude56 22:23, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
As a tutorial page, many of these ideas should have an accompanying design, picture, or diagram to help indicate the means to reproduce a number of architectural effects. Without such things, this tutorial page simply becomes a "list of suggestions and ideas." Further, many of the descriptors can be merged, and made more general, to help reduce the sheer size of the lists in this article; e.g. "Weapon Shop", "Armor Shop", "Junk Shop", etc. can simply be called "Shop". Individual concepts can be explained in each section if necessary. Also, explaining the reason to include the concept is unnecessary. The gist of the concept should be reflected in the name or title of the sections or structures. Naming separate structures that serve the same function is redundant.
Last, the article is in dire need of rewriting. It is rife with rhetorical questions and repeated information. Random offender, Landmark:
Make something that people know it is your town. It should be something impressive, maybe a model of the deathstar or your skin? Maybe something else, works well on servers if you want the people to know and remember your server.
A landmark can help make a map or server unique, and can be used as a reference point for navigation.
Aside from the conversational tone, the original section is very subjective and contains pointless text("Maybe something else" part can be struck entirely). If this article can't be rewritten in an objective and concise manner, the information is better contributed to a community section and not a wiki entry. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (Talk) 07:40, 8 July 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Listen up. I think we need to redo the entire page, and make it a realistic metropolis. For example, war doesn't sound so good to me. And it's not exactly belonging to a metropolis, if you know what I mean. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (Talk) 03:27, 16 July 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- No! Minecraft is about fantasy! I mean, when was the last time you saw a green creature that explodes in the street? CycloneChilli 20:21, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
- Well seriously, if you really think about it, war is not a metropolis type. It's a game type thing, if you know what i mean. I have a good idea that will probably end this. WHEN someone has a suggestion they must get permission from Notch. Sound good? (PS: I want an account, but there's some glitch with the code thing you have to enter so I dunno how to join :[) –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (Talk) 01:42, 9 August 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Just a suggestion to be added, build your city on a cruise ship. Might be neat to try and fit things in a limited space. Scratchcrackers 22:57, 17 October 2012 (UTC)
There should be more defence things
About new page revision.
Alright, I have a question. Why do we need to revise the page? This new revision doesn't seem to fix the problems that the original had. No offense Yoshidude, but this new page is a less plentiful, less well kept version of the original. Also, I don't think pictures are going to be any helpful to this page as a whole. While they might be helpful in the fact that it will create a picture for what it could look like, it doesn't inspire creativity, which is what Minecraft and this page is/was all about. Same with the rest of the page, it's pretty much telling the player that this must be this and that must be that, no turning off the path.(e.g. Build this taiga biome, build that with stairs) Excuse me but if we must revise this page it should at least allow somewhat more vague descriptions on what you can do. PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS AND I WOULD LIKE IT IF SOMEONE REPLY TO ME PREFERABLY YOSHIDUDE56.--21:26, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you for sharing your opinion, I'm working on adding more content from the original page and making the tutorial less strict about building patterns. Yoshidude56 22:18, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
- Uh Thanks. The page still needs a ton of cleanup though. I'll probably upload a backup of the old one for reference.-- 23:02, 14 August 2012 (UTC)
- A backup isn't necessary, since the old versions are still in the page history (such as here). -- Orthotope 01:25, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
- That's what I'm using right now yoshidude56 17:06, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
- The problem is most people wouldn't search through the edit history for the old version a couple month from now. Making a back-up allows you to instantly get to the page itself.-- 03:52, 15 August 2012 (UTC)
I like it to, but i agree it feels "bossy"-188.8.131.52 21:59, 28 August 2012 (UTC)
A suggestion for the "shield" of this page
I apologize if this should be on the forum, but I have a suggestion. To protect the page from becoming a list of ideas, perhaps we could make an article.. something called Tutorials/House Ideas. However the metropolis article still has the threat of becoming a list of suggestions so I thought up a plan to prevent it. But before we create one I need to ask around so that I know we have permission. Last of all, if there is already an article about this page I'm talking about, please let me know. I may be an expert on Minecraft (almost!) but I do not know much about the Wiki's articles. --184.108.40.206 10:10, 20 September 2012 (UTC)
Im not sure its a good idea. i mean whats WRONG with idea lists?Im gonna try MY hand at this page and see if its THAT bad. ps i ment EDIT not just redo the page.
-220.127.116.11 01:17, 27 September 2012 (UTC)srsly It's good to have a list of ideas. I know this is a wiki, but wikis help you and these ideas help people to create cities.
Id agree if 24 did not curse up this talk page.Mind you, he/she actully has griefed up before. Anyway, I DO agree, and we need to keep it an idea list. Same thing happend...... Ever heard of the tragic story of alternitive experinceces? I would recreatate it, but i need ops/admins approval. Louise4589TheEpic 00:14, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
A list of changes that could be made
A few things that we need to change:
1. You CAN find ores in superflat, gravel, etc. because of customization. A good idea is to replace it with "Superflat is not recommended in Survival mode unless you have customized the map because of a shortage of minerals."
2. The phrase "You should *blah blah blah*" sounds too bossy/forceful. We can change it to "You may *blah blah blah*" to make it more friendly-sounding.
3. Making the article neater. There are a ton of lines that are aligned wrong and quote boxes (are they quote boxes?) instead of bullets. Capitalization problems are also all over the article.
4. The phrase "If you want to add things to the buildings section, be sure to put it in alphabetical order." - do we need it? It's not doing anything but giving a pain to anyone that wants to add a building.
5. Page could use a correction and cleanup. An example is the sentence "Maybe use tnt cannons?" in the airport suggestion is technically incorrect, you cannot launch a block with tnt, and if it was possible, the plane would most likely have a huge hole. Plus, it is not a sentence.
18.104.22.168 20:49, 25 November 2012 (UTC)
I meant The tnt would launch PLAYERS. And i agree with the "bossyness". ill fix it now.
- I am constantly monitoring this page to insure that it does not fall apart like it had originally. The tnt cannons part has already been removed (by me.) yoshidude56 02:41, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
- You have an extra person who'll be keeping an eye on this page. 22.214.171.124 01:05, 18 March 2013 (UTC)
This probably isn't a good place to put it, but I really want to edit this page. However, I can't log in or make an account. My Wikia account is MattiasWestby, but this wiki doesn't recognize it, and when I try to make a new account this bizarre thing pops up where I have to identify only the cats in a series of pics. However, no matter how many times I select them, it still says I have to select the cats. I really have some good ideas on good cities, but if I try to edit the page it says my IP Adress will be publicly recorded. What can I do?
I know this is a bad place to put it and I apologize.
126.96.36.199 01:23, 28 November 2012 (UTC)
- Please, I'm begging!
188.8.131.52 01:20, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
- This site does not use Wikia, and the cats are to prevent bots from creating lots of accounts. As for why it is not working for you, I don't know. Editing the page is fine even without an account. yoshidude56 02:38, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks. Probably something to do with my iPad.
184.108.40.206 23:37, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Just so you know, to select the cats you click on the picture, not the Adopt Me! button. Make sure that you have your password exactly the same when you type it again. I tried 4 times until I realized that the caps lock was on. Meeples10 21:11, 4 March 2013 (UTC)
I think we should keep the building's. List in Alphabetical order so we can find what we're. Looking for faster. Like in 2 months there is probably. Going to be slot more buildings on that list. So we should keep it in alphabetical. Order so we don't to go reading the whole. Page for. One building. You hear me?
- That's what I've been doing. Every time somebody adds something in the wrong spot, I always go and put it back in the right place. yoshidude56 21:11, 1 January 2013 (UTC)
I deleted the extra topic. 220.127.116.11 17:14, 12 April 2013 (UTC)
Criticizing Meeples10's Edits
I know what you meant by don't sign the edits and get an account and this is not a personal page, etc, but was it really necessary to delete all of my contributions to the page?
I did what you said and got an account. Meeples10 13:37, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
- I wasn't the person who "cleared out" your contributions (frankly, I don't mess with the BaM page much). You can look at a page's "view history" page to see who made what changes. In general, contributions are subject to editing by later users, and there are community standards despite the lack of explicit control. Looking at Yoshidude56's changes, Your "Factory" idea, besides the signature, was problematic on a few fronts -- a vastly specific, bizarre, and impractical idea. (On the other hand, posting screenshots of it on your user page would be kinda cool.) And the "gods known as Mojang" was just asking for trouble....
- This page is somewhat controversial among the old-timers, precisely because it tends to accumulate bizarre, poorly written and often-useless stuff -- indeed, it's occasionally been proposed for deletion. (Looking at it now, it does seem to have gotten cleaned up a lot since a few months ago.) I'd say the basic standards should be: decent writing (including spelling and grammar), and stick to ideas that people can actually fit into a "city" motif. To give an example of a problematic entry, look at the "Fire Station" under Buildings: It starts off OK, with a plausible representation of fire-fighting, but then it goes on to suggest individual redstone circuits from every house to the station (maybe you could do that with Redpower2 or WirelessRedstone, but not in vanilla), and goes on to automatic water-dumping circuits! (Tip for all contributors: If even you feel the need to admit that something's really not a great idea, just don't add it in the first place.) --Mental Mouse 15:16, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
I have 2 things to say: 1) the Factory city is supposed to be bizarre, it's not really supposed to be pretty, and it needs to be in creative to reach the top. 2) I have a huge city, and the fire station works great.
Just saying, under Jobs it says factory worker(above) but there is no factory anymore. ~Vendily~ 23:31, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
- Listen buddy, this issue was resolved a long time ago, and it is not a factory building, it is a city that just so happens to be called the Factory. ×Meeples10× 00:09, 30 April 2013 (UTC)
I have added city hall to the buildings list several times and I always get deleted by Meeples10. Every city needs a city hall. Why can't ours have one?
- I am deleting your city hall for 2 reasons:
- It has the wrong format. Use a * and a space before any building/city type. It creates a square dot.
- There is already a city hall at the beginning of the page.
×Meeples10× 10:20, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
- JUST to make you happy, I will fix your city hall to make it BETTER. ×Meeples10× 10:22, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks. Just a thought, could we make a whole government section?
--18.104.22.168 23:26, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
- I will, but if it gets deleted that is a definite NO. ×Meeples10× 10:31, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
I HATE the Urban Zone, Great Road? Ramifications? Offices are in the Commercial Zone already!
- This is a page anyone can edit. From the bottom of the edit page:
Please note that all contributions to Minecraft Wiki are considered to be released under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 (see Minecraft Wiki:Copyrights for details). If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!
You may also post content obtained from Mojang, its websites, manuals and guides, concept art and renderings, press and fansite kits, and other such copyrighted material that Mojang has made available to the general public, to the Minecraft Wiki. All rights, title and interest in and to such content shall remain with Mojang, as applicable, and such content is not licensed pursuant to the Terms of Service.
Please note: ■ If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly or redistributed by others, do not submit it. ■ On talk/discussion pages, please sign your comment by typing four tildes (~~~~). ■ Please use the Show preview button before saving changes to reduce the number of edits shown in the recent changes list.
- How does that help? Delete it now!
--22.214.171.124 19:30, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- First off, 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52, you are the only two that have protested against it. And 184.108.40.206, manners. Please do not demand that something be removed. Requesting is fine. But "How does that help? Delete it now!" is not acceptable. -Creepers explode, don'tcha know? 20:44, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- He doesn't have to listen to you. --220.127.116.11 14:27, 29 May 2013 (UTC)
- LEAVE ME ALONE!
--18.104.22.168 22:00, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
1. Meeples and creepergoboom, you have no right to demand manners, espeicially in a rude way. 2. 22.214.171.124, please could you be a little nicer? 3. I agree that the section is messy. I don't want it deleted, but it needs tiding up. Sugestions: after ramifications put framework in brackets; define what a great road is; get rid of optionals in brackets, because they make it seem bossy; give a link to a good house for a president or leader should be. They wouldn' live in a a dirt hut, would they? --126.96.36.199 18:21, 5 June 2013 (UTC)
There are still a lot of problems with the page. To name a few:
1. Many ideas for buildings go on and on, such as (and this is one I made up as an example) "You should use spruce logs and stone brick and brick to build the houses and make sure you have a port and lots and lots of roads..." Basically, there are a lot of run-on sentences.
2. Another problem with the page is it tells you how to build a city without adding in words like "maybe" or "possibly" or "if you'd like". Whoever wrote half the thing seems to have just thrown out forceful ideas.
3. Way too much of the article suggests mods, even though a perfectly plausible city can be made on vanilla survival.
4. A lot of the "Buildings" section, specifically the "mini-games" subsection, suggests implausible ideas that would make the city seem less like a city.
5. Far too much of the article suggests things like "elite residents", "celebrities", and "government agents", suggesting that these people sit around all day doing nothing, which would strongly detract from actually playing minecraft since it's a BUILDING GAME. Elite residents and celebrites would sit at their computers with Minecraft open, doing... what?
6. A lot of ideas get vastly over-specific, such as the entire "futuristic skyscraper all-in-one", which goes on from just a skyscraper to explaining a whole possibility of post-apocalyptic themed concepts.
7. It's still rife with spelling errors, overuse of capitalization, and incorrectly used punctuation.
8. "Government" section, anyone? Are you serious with that?
9. Much of the article ignores use of objects such as torches, with Glowstone being over-used as a building/lighting material. --188.8.131.52 20:44, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
- I will try and fix that.
- People have already commented on this page about needing to change that. I fixed the half of the page that doesn't seem imperative.
- Those say "If you have mods...." They are saying that if you have that mod, you could do blah blah blah.
- Key word: Games.
- Where they go if they are being chased or at night...?
- Those are users' ideas. They added them how they thought them up.
- That will take a while to fix.
- Read the comment above the comment above this one. I was the one that added it because of that IP.
- I will try to add in torches to lists of items to use.
1. Thanks. 2. Thanks again. 3. I see your point. 4. Ok, but do you go running around an actual city and see a building that says "PORK PUSHER" on it? 5. That doesn't answer my question, what do these higher-ups DO? Like, celebrities, what goes on there? I mean, I know leaders are pretty required, but what of these "elite residents"? If they're really elite, they are creative enough to build their own house. 6. Good point, but some stuff goes a little too far still. 7. Yeah, I get you there. 8. Alrighty, I just didn't want new players seeking information to get the idea that this wiki is the source of all life and such. 9. Thanks once more.
- The majority of Minecraft players use mods. I'm not saying everybody does, I don't, but many do.
- Yes. Several times, actually. It's a pretty... strange name, but they built it.
- Whatever they want, I guess.
- That is true.
- That's what everybody says.
Remove the "Dungeon Arena" and "Capture The Flag Arena"
They have a point to me; they're for players who want to fight or who are up for some kind of challenge. I'm not one of them. I stay on creative mode! :D PenguinzroxXD (talk) 04:52, 2 November 2014 (UTC) PenguinzroxXD
While I was building a city on an island, I thought the other people might wanted to use it. I thought the best way to show it was to add it as a theme. What do you think bout building an island and then making a city? It's hard work, but it might look good! --PenguinzroxXD (talk) 20:35, 2 December 2014 (UTC)PenguinzroxXD
- I think that's somewhere on this page, but it's your city, you can do whatever you want! Meeples10t ~ c 23:35, 3 December 2014 (UTC)
Coruscant, from Star Wars, is already copyrighted. To still do it, just rename it as what it is.(I cannot spell it properly)
Just letting you know :) 184.108.40.206 10:31, 20 February 2015 (UTC)
Questions and Concerns
Okay, I am new to editing the wiki, but have a pretty good idea of what I am doing. I always loved this page, but it distresses me to see it in such a mess. Firstly, I recently edited the first few sections. Second of all, the page has both American English and Queen's English spellings for some words. Do you think we should just leave them or choose one to be standard? Also, I am going to move the Memorial bit from the city type to the buildings area, as it is not needed in that section. If nobody answers soon, I will do/decide myself. Also, can we PLEASE clear out the older and out of date conversation on the talk page? 220.127.116.11 17:40, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
Too Many Ideas
I wanted to build a city in Minecraft, but I could not think of anything, so I looked here. Now I can't decide which one to build.
- I understand. Choices like this are overwhelming. Which style you go with depends on the surroundings. The point of the page is not to tell you what to build; it's to inspire you. You don't have to use the ideas on this page; build your own city!
what about entertainment? don't you want something to do? like a waterpark and/or rollercoasters.... 18.104.22.168 21:46, 8 May 2018 (UTC)
- If you think that should be added to the article, add it. I personally am not really expanding many tutorial pages right now, I have other things I'm doing.--Talk to me 21:59, 8 May 2018 (UTC)