What happened to the half-blocks? ~Anon
Stairs don't crash the client anymore (or at least not the Mac client)
Someone should add a section about the crazy stair alignment logic. I just avoid using these because I have no idea how to coax them into facing the right direction, unlike furnaces. 184.108.40.206 14:53, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
To me the logic seems over complicated what it needs is this.
When you aim is higher than straight ahead the block will spawn with the lowest part facing you. when your aim is lower than half way the taller part of the step will be facing you this will mean if you stand off to the side of the direction you want it to spawn it will spawn facing the direction you are facing.(well to the nearest 90 any way) This would allow the player to know where it will spawn instead of placing it and finding out that it has spawned and moved the 1 next to it 90 and they are now both facing the wrong way. I may make a video documenting the problem and how i would fix it. -- doomkid.
Just an observation, seems like stairs are affected by the presence of other stairs, and will preferentially point towards them. Possibly bears more investigation. Ninetailed 16:55, 13 September 2010 (CDT)
- As mentioned under "behavior" I've been using dirt blocks to help aim stairs in the direction I like. It's just some spots where it gets tricky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKbuVLMZiXY It'd be nice if it was as simple as if the stairs simply faced you when you place the block. P1cwh0r3 12:18, 17 September 2010 (CDT)
it would be awesome if there would be wooden stairs of the different types of wood
- Stairs will always face so the higher side is left in either of these arrays:
B S A
B B B
S A A
B S A
B B S
B = block s = step a = air --Olligobber 21:13, 22 October 2010 (UTC)
Deleting Stairs Simply place a block on top and dig both out. This stops the deletion from passing through --Olligobber 21:13, 22 October 2010 (UTC)
- 1 Halloween update change
- 2 Placing through
- 3 Transparent at High Altitudes
- 4 Fireproof Wooden Stairs
- 5 I think I know why the stairs have the error as of 1.5_01
- 6 Mobs
- 7 Breaking Stone Brick Stairs
- 8 Icon
- 9 Just a small point, but...
- 10 What I use them for
- 11 Planned content?
- 12 Remove enderman line?
- 13 How to make Corner Stairs (?)
- 14 What is meant by "Sideways Stairs" ?
- 15 Sandstone Stairs only on Creative but not survival? Pocket Edition
- 16 Flip Stair Renders?
Halloween update change
Stairs also share properties similar to doors where a block can be placed on the opposite side of the block without impeding the placement. Water,Lava or other blocks can be placed under a staircase as long as an appropriate block is on the other side within range.
Transparent at High Altitudes
This might be a glitch for me alone, but I wanted to mention it, seeing as it hasn't been mentioned yet. After I certain altitude, the stairs were transparent after I placed them. The mining effect would still show, and they could be walked on, you just couldn't see them. No picture right now, didn't think of screenshotting at the time, but I'd like for someone else to try it out, just to see if it's just me or not. Running latest version, and it happened about 10 to 20 blocks below the clouds. LostUser 06:40, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
- It's not just you. And I think you may find that placing another block against an invisible stair causes it and all other stairs further up to become visible again, at least up to a certain altitude. Removing the block makes them disappear again. SteveZombie 05:29, 30 November 2010 (CST)
Fireproof Wooden Stairs
I've tested a wooden staircase, and found that they're completely immune to both fire and lava, unlike most other wooden structures. Should this be mentioned anywhere? Kirona 03:43, 7 January 2011 (UTC)
I think I know why the stairs have the error as of 1.5_01
It would appear they are no longer transparent. Try placing a torch under one and make it so no light can escape except through the stair block, you'll see what I mean. Andross12 05:34, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
Whoa, that's a pretty sizable change. That explains the "black rectangle" people were getting between steps, too. This is going to have repercussions on quite a few articles. --Theothersteve7 20:13, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah I have edited this article to reflect the current state but I don't know what others will need to be changed. Andross12 20:25, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
I can't seem to get a straight answer from anywhere and I think the answer could probably use being added here or to the mob page. Stairs do block light propagation now, so in that sense they are no longer transparent, but they clearly do allow you to see through them and do not completely block in rendering of blocks behind them so in that sense they clearly still are not completely opaque. How does this interact with mob spawning? Before 1.5, mobs could not spawn on stair blocks. Does the removal of transparency enable mobs to spawn on them now and has this been observed? Maloncanth 14:00, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
- Stairs are still transparent; the fact that they no longer let light pass through has nothing to do with that. As such, mobs shouldn't be able to spawn on them (I say "shouldn't" because there's always the chance that they can, for whatever reason). 「ダイノガイ千？！」? · ☎ Dinoguy1000 07:56, 6 August 2011 (UTC)
I just noticed that when you break stone brick stairs, depending on their facing direction, they drop different types of stone brick blocks: mossy, cracked, or regular!
Breaking Stone Brick Stairs
Is the North/South/East/West orientation based on the -Sun Rises in The East- orientation or the -Top of the Map is North- orientation?
- He's using the "Cloudwise=North, Sun in the east" orientation. It's confusing, because, nobody is using a standardized orientation on this wiki. I just discovered the bug with stone brick stairs and wrote it all down with Notch's "north=top of map" orientation. 220.127.116.11 16:36, 1 November 2011 (UTC)
Seeing as many stair blocks are being made, I suggest changing the stair icon to Stone Brick stairs on the block selection, similar to how the slabs use stone slabs as their icon, so we won't have many overlapping stuff. Piber20 01:12, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
Just a small point, but...
In the "blocks" section that occurs at the bottom of the block pages (I don't know what they're officially called), shouldn't bookshelves, stairs, ladders, etc. be put in "Natural" instead of "Manufactured", as they occur naturally in NPC Villages/Strongholds?
(Yes, I am a newb.)
What I use them for
I like to use them as arrow slits, you place them with a block on top and a block to the side and it makes a small hole, I do this all the time on SMP. Nano115 00:03, 3 November 2011 (UTC)
Why are stairs used in the planned content section? Or have I missed something? --Alyalyaly 20:49, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
Remove enderman line?
should the line about endermen be removed since endermen can no longer pick up any block? I assume it was put there because it was one of few blocks endermen couldn't pick up in 1.8.1 but now they can't pick it up anyways
How to make Corner Stairs (?)
I'm looking forward to a guide to how to do this gemoetry, the Pics are well-done but I'm thinking a "step-by-step" guide to which-to-place, where, first, to-last would be the basic building blocks of these new morphing blocks. Yilante, 9 /28 /2012 18.104.22.168 15:52, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
What is meant by "Sideways Stairs" ?
In trivia, it says "In 12w34a, with the addition of sideways stairs, they are identical to the sideways stairs mod from Beta 1.7. and Adventurecraft's Sideways Stairs."
Is this referring to upside-down stairs?
To me, 'sideways' would be the L-shape lying horizontally, instead vertically. (I'd describe the original stair pieces as vertical L shapes, left or right facing; and now with upside-down L's that are left or right facing). I found the idea of a horizontally positioned L as interesting, because you could create 1x1 'holes' in floors/ceilings that were off-position by placing 4 stair pieces. Confused Feaelin 22:01, 19 November 2012 (UTC)
- Fixed! Sorry about that. I meant corner stairs. 22.214.171.124 23:31, 5 June 2013 (UTC)
Sandstone Stairs only on Creative but not survival? Pocket Edition
I don't see Sandstone Stairs on the stonecutter. Please confirm this bug fix on 0.7.0. --Minecraftaddict154 05:04, 28 March 2013 (UTC)
Flip Stair Renders?
Since the inventory sprites for the stairs are facing with the steps to the right, and the renders to the left, would it be okay to flip the stairs renders to match the inventory sprites? Or should it wait until the new default textures come out in 1.14? And if it should wait until the new default textures come out, what about the 1.14 stair renders? Should those be flipped, or flip them when the other renders are flipped? Incrazone (talk) 05:10, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- We can depend on what the item looks like in Minecraft to flip accordingly. If the steps are to the right, flip the renders. If they are to the left, flip the item sprites. However, to make the work more meaningful, we can wait until 1.14 is officially released, and we can re-render all of them facing one direction. Lê Duy Quang (Make some words | Contributions) at 2h20:37 | 21/1/2020 (UTC)