- 1 0xffff-1 chunks is a hexadecimal number -1
- 2 C++14 is the standard C++ version
- 3 Multithreaded
- 4 150% hyperbole is a reference to hyperboleandahalf.com
- 5 "This is good for Realms"
- 6 Thanks for the fish
- 7 New Bedrock Splash
- 8 1.14.1-pre1 new splash
- 9 "B****es and W****s"
- 10 Unsourced splashes
- 11 <playername> IS YOU
0xffff-1 chunks is a hexadecimal number -1
0xFFFF is a hex number, equal to 65535 (the high extreme of the unsigned 16 bit integer), -1, which then equates to 65534. 65535 is also 2^16-1. Correct me if I'm wrong on the hex->dec conversion I'm too lazy to open a new tab. Since I cannot edit the Splash page, I need someone who can to do it.
C++14 is the standard C++ version
There is an ISO standard to which C++ version is standard. This version is C++14.
Multithreading is something that a CPU (central processing unit) can do. It has one processor, or in a multi-core processor, one core, execute two tasks, switching between the two.
150% hyperbole is a reference to hyperboleandahalf.com
150% hyperbole is a reference to hyperboleandahalf.com
This is obvious, but I don't want to make the update because I don't have time to learn to do it in a polished manner. I request you do it and then maybe delete this entry in the talk page.
Also, the Drr! Drr! Drr! reference is partially due to the old "Far Lands" aesthetic; the weird holes in the wall reminded people of the comic.
Also, the "Gargamel plays it!" is additionally a reference to one of the classic "seeds" that was spread about online. Since links are disallowed, just websearch: minecraft gargamel seed –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 20:24, 27 August 2017 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- All of these would need statements from Mojang staff confirming them. -- Orthotopetalk 21:07, 27 August 2017 (UTC)
"This is good for Realms"
is probably a reference to http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/this-is-good-for-bitcoin --126.96.36.199 11:30, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Possibly also a reference to the well-known ZHOOlOr.png, but I don't have a source for that either. --Pokechu22 (talk) 18:00, 21 July 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for the fish
I believe the splash mentioned in the title not only refers the addition of fish, but also the line "So long and thanks for all the fish" from the intro to A Hitchikers Guide to the Galeraxy. The song is sung by dolphins, which were also added in 1.13 –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 17:34, 19 July 2018 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Agree. Not only the intro, but the title of a book (see Wikipedia:Thanks for all the fish, which redirects to the book title). It's probably a reference to both. --Pokechu22 (talk) 17:39, 19 July 2018 (UTC)
- Agree It is so obvious reference that it definitely should be added to this page. 184.108.40.206 10:59, 6 August 2018 (UTC)
- COULD ANYONE PLEASE ADD THIS INFORMATION TO THIS PAGE? I CAN'T SINCE IT'S PROTECTED. 220.127.116.11 07:39, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
I'm sorry about all that shouting, but really, isn't the reference quite obvious? Somebody who can edit this page should really add information about the reference. 18.104.22.168 04:58, 29 September 2018 (UTC)
New Bedrock Splash
It says "Phobos anomaly!" Not sure what it means, can someone qualified please record it on the page? 22.214.171.124 23:14, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- It’s already on the page as a Java Edition splash, so it is not Bedrock exclusive. -BDJP (t|c) 23:20, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
1.14.1-pre1 new splash
There's a new splash text in 1.14.1-pre1 called "Awesome game design right there!". There was this chat about this splash screen in the Eigencraft Discord group:
Discord, [07.05.19 20:12] slicedlime: Thank you. And know that I didn't come here to call people out or anything. I just wanted to mention it because it really does discourage us from looking at stuff sometimes. Especially considering the comments like that new splash.
Fabian Röling, [07.05.19 20:13]: Btw, how is that new splash text meant?
Discord, [07.05.19 20:14] Skinnypus: I liked the joke, but sometimes he went like 'total trash gamedesign, absolute shit'
Fabian Röling, [07.05.19 20:14]: What game design now? Is this about bugs? Bugs aren't game design.
Discord, [07.05.19 20:14] slicedlime: Sarcastically over and over commenting "yeah great game design here" about things that were obviously bugs is a prime example of not being constructive.
So apparently this splash text is a criticism of overly negative people who criticise Mojang for the wrong things or something like that. I'm not sure how to word that in a way that fits into the wiki. Fabian42 (talk) 18:20, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
"B****es and W****s"
The article currently says that the splash "Switches and ores!" is a reference to a meme "B****es and W****s". That, however, is not the name of the meme. Wikipedia's "How to treat offensive material in articles" guideline says:
a vulgarity or obscenity should either appear in its full form or not at all; words should never be minced by replacing letters with dashes, asterisks, or other symbols
and I think that this rule should apply to our wiki as well. The real name of the meme should be used in the place of the censored version, and if that is not possible, this reference should be removed altogether. 126.96.36.199 04:47, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
- That reference should not be in the article anyway since it's unsourced, so I've removed that reference altogether. – Nixinova 08:02, 12 July 2019 (UTC)
On every splash without a description, there is a comment which reads "do not add a description to this splash unless sourced directly to a Mojangsta". Despite this, the majority of the splash descriptions on the page are not sourced directly to a Mojangsta. What's the deal with this? - Luke18033 (talk) 00:35, 8 August 2019 (UTC)
- Some of them don’t have a reference because the reference appears to be clearly obvious to what it is (i.e the "Getting ready to" splashes are lines from a song). -BDJP (t|c) 00:41, 8 August 2019 (UTC)
<playername> IS YOU
Currently, the description of the splash "<playername> IS YOU" says that the splash is a reference to the video game Baba is You. However, this description is not sourced directly to a Mojangsta. The splash might also refer to several other things, such as the phrase "A Winner Is You" from the video game Pro Wrestling, which has become a meme. Because of this, I think the current description of the splash should be removed. 188.8.131.52 14:58, 8 November 2019 (UTC)