Luminescence: shouldn't it be around two judging by the picture? It's in that range. 22.214.171.124 08:39, 10 June 2014 (UTC)
- From the lightest square to the darkest square there are 5 water blocks, and light underwater attenuates by 2, so if their light levels are at their lowest possible values that still have a light gradient, 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, then the sea lantern's light is 9.
- I went ahead and made one, but the animation is kind of hard to see. Yetanotherguy 06:43, 19 June 2014 (UTC)
i may have to create a new section to explain the melting mechanics of the sea lantern in relation to ice.
if anybody wants to help with testing that would be appreciated. so far i have found that when enclosed in ice the lantern will melt ice 2 blocks on any axis and 1 on any diagonal. when just on the ground it will melt ice within 3 blocks on any axis and 2 blocks on any diagonal the same seems to apply when encased by glass. Kilvehk (talk) 05:42, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
- I doubt you do. The melt behavior is identical to other light sources such as glowstone. Which makes sense since melting is based on block light level rather than proximity to any particular blocks. Anomie x (talk) 11:24, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
I did some testing regarding transparency for the sea lantern (Minecraft v1.8 release), since the page still lists transparency as "?". Using the criteria on the wiki page for Opacity, under "List of things affected by opacity", I found the following:
- [Opaque Behavior] Sea Lanterns will suffocate the player.
- [Transparent Behavior] Monsters, including slimes, will NOT spawn on sea lanterns.
- [Transparent Behavior] Chests can be opened with sea lanterns above them.
- [Transparent Behavior] Torches, redstone wire, and ladders cannot be placed on a sea lantern.
- [Transparent Behavior] Sea lanterns do not transmit redstone power.
- [Opaque Behavior] Signs can be placed on top and on the sides of sea lanterns.
- [Opaque Behavior] A beacon with a sea lantern placed above it will deactivate.