Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- 1 Link to imgur
- 2 Wiki Image
- 3 Upcoming Redstone Lamps, WARNING TO ALL
- 4 Bug list
- 5 Just a fun thing
- 6 Street lamp design
- 7 I think this should be in trivia
- 8 last trivia
- 9 Doesn't received power from powered sticky piston.
- 10 Not the first controllable light source
- 11 Companion Cube
- 12 Lines are not Impossible
- 13 Not as bright as Glowstone Blocks
- 14 Silk touch bug
- 15 Uses - Clarification needed.
- 16 Falling edge delay
- 17 Colored Redstone Lamps
- 18 Colored dyes
- 19 Should have a disambiguation for the new Lantern blocks
Link to imgur
The current link http://i.imgur.com/18lw5.png leads to a 403 - Forbidden http://i.imgur.com/18lw5 would lead to the intended linkable page -I've reuploaded it to Imageshack instead; I'm not having the issue with Imgur (probably because I had been the one to upload it, cache or some jargon) but hopefully this helps instead. Not sure if there's going to be an issue though, Imageshack seems to require signup to even get a direct link now. http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9126/lampgi.png
- Fixed. CobraA1 11:58, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
I see no difference. Xamiostone 12:16, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
I think I glitches the system trying to fix this... I think this is where the wiki pro's do the work and I take my leave... I did the basics. :P Xamiostone 12:16, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
- It was working fine until you started uploading. –ultradude25 (T|C) at 12:21, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
Upcoming Redstone Lamps, WARNING TO ALL
new redstone lamps CAN CRASH THE GAME, putting a bunch of them togather and activating them can cause mass lag everytime its put ON and OFF, this is a griefable item as any servers trying the new snapshot can crash or cause mass lag for everyone --PhillipF 11:16, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
This: Because it acts as a solid block that can transmit power and also receives power, the following is possible: http://i.imgur.com/18lw5.png leads to a 403 Forbidden error. I found it funny, because apparently, even though whatever it is is possible...it's still forbidden.
- It cannot transmit power actually. I just put redstone below it and out another side of it, and the redstone line does NOT get powered. So it only transmits power to other redstone lamps. (and up to only one block in all directions) Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/XZwJm.png (copy paste in new tab) Iyeru 16:33, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
- No solid block powers redstone in the way that you show on the image, the article meant that redstone lamps are a solid block, and therefore transmit power to an adjacent block.--220.127.116.11 01:24, 12 May 2012 (UTC)
Just a fun thing
this is funny, redstone lamps under a pressure plate, then spread this ALL OVER the place, BEHOLD a tracking device for pesks and what not! --PhillipF 11:51, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
Street lamp design
In the first paragraph it says:
"Unlike Glowstone, fences will attach to it, making it good for making street lamps"
But how would you design such a street lamp since you need to power the redstone lamp? A simple 4 or 5-fence pole with a redstone lamp on the side(s) would't work, since you need at least one other block to put a redstone torch on, and that would ruin the aesthetics a bit, don't you think?
Maybe redstone lamps should be on without a power source. 18.104.22.168 13:36, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
- You mean like glowstone? -Shmekekey
- Put a lever on top. FatherToast 15:04, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
- You just got super pwned.From Moi, Ajc_1254
Lamps are made to be powered on-demand.Maxum 00:52, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
I think this should be in trivia
- Notch once stated lamps was an anagram meaning "Light A-givin' Material Portal Side... the yellow stone thing", probably referring to Glowstone hence its use in crafting along with
- This may also mean that with the addition of redstone lanmps torches may flicker out.
- You're running on outdated information from 2010. When I undid your revision I clearly stated why this trivia was removed. --Moxxy 16:50, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
- You stated that line 2 was a joke I did as well but it is still a good piece of trivia I think also if this should not be included as it was a joke this should be removed from...lanterns as this is an even bigger better reference seeing as the word lamp is in the block name, I have checked various sources and It seems Notch has stated "...not sure if they will or not due to the negative response..." which neither denies or confirms the addition of torches going out so I'm so so on that but"Light A-givin' Material Portal Side... the yellow stone thing", probably referring to Glowstone in sokme way shape or form should be added I think
--Desacobose 17:03, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
- (diff | hist) . . m Redstone Lamp; 16:54 . . (-9) . . MegaScience (Talk | contribs) (Get the hell out of here you vandalizing buttface.) I'm sorry but how is this vandalizing? --Desacobose 17:11, 17 February 2012 (UTC)
I'd Like people to comment they're ideas about this! --Desacobose 20:43, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
I think mentioning the relation is good as long as its clear lamps and redstone lamps are two different things. --22.214.171.124 01:18, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
- I agree. Redstone Lamps and Lanterns are different concepts. --mgr 01:37, 1 March 2012 (UTC)
why do we even have the last trivia? 126.96.36.199 02:12, 19 February 2012 (UTC)
I don't know. And I can't figure out how to make a topic, but someone greifed the blast resistance.188.8.131.52 16:09, 19 February 2012 (UTC)
Doesn't received power from powered sticky piston.
I was looking into enabling a switch to power pistons, raising redstone lamps from underground and simultaneously lighting them, but I found that I can't get the lamps to turn on without redstone wiring or torches. You would think that since a piston can transmit power, that it would open up the opportunity for a lot of cool mechanisms to power the lamps from them, but apparently it doesn't work. 184.108.40.206 02:12, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- Pistons are transparent so they can not power other blocks. --☺ Sven Kein Schwein ruft mich an! 13:29, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- Ah right, I thought they could. My bad then, thanks for clearing that up. :) 220.127.116.11 23:05, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
Not the first controllable light source
Technically, the first one was a redstone torch, which can be turned on and off, just not notably so. Should this be included in the page? 18.104.22.168 13:38, 25 February 2012 (UTC) (Rhou17)
Would it be worth to mention inside of the trivia- section, that the redstone lamp kinda looks like a cube from the game Portal?
- No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO! --Moxxy 20:05, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
Lines are not Impossible
the article says: the player creating such a display however should be aware that each "pixel" is a small cross making straight lines impossible.
This is not exactly true, because you can get a single lamp (indirectly powered) to light if you power a block behind the lamp instead of the lamp itself. If you wire carefully, you can produce single-block-wide lines for displays. (for example: http://imgur.com/9p6fG ) However, having more than two adjacent lamps controlled individually makes wiring extremely cramped. 22.214.171.124 05:10, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
Furthermore, the suggestion of having a two-block-thick screen (both layers of lamps) seems like a great way to increase lag, especially since the back layer will not be readily seen viewers. A layer of any nontransparent block would presumably work also. 126.96.36.199 05:16, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
Not as bright as Glowstone Blocks
Redstone lamps are not as bright as glowstone blocks, which makes it much less resource consuming if you just use glowstone blocks instead of redstone lamps, unless you want to be able to turn them off and/or are making a street lamp.
- No the light level of Redstone lamps are 15, the same as glowstone. --188.8.131.52 16:28, 8 May 2012 (UTC)
Silk touch bug
I've noticed through testing that using silk touch on a lit redstone lamp STILL drops a LIT redstone lamp. can anyone confirm?--184.108.40.206 16:25, 8 May 2012 (UTC)
It definitely does drop a Lit Redstone Lamp. This should be in the page.
Uses - Clarification needed.
The first paragraph makes no sense to me: A player may be tempted to use a redstone lamp as a functional light source. However ..[deleted].. mobs will likely spawn in an unlit room when the player is not in peaceful mode.
Does this mean that redstone lamps are not suitable for the task of lighting a room? Especially if the intended use is to prevent mobs from spawning?
And: "glowstone and torches emit light constantly makes them superior lighting options.
If lit by means of a lever (equals constant source of power), would not a redstone lamp fulfil the same function or is there some sort of a bug in the currently released version (1.2.5)? 192.168.8.8 21:21, 24 June 2012 (UTC)
- The disadvantage of using redstone lamps as a sole source of light is that they can be easily and accidentally turned off (by someone twiddling the lever or otherwise breaking the circuit), allowing mobs to spawn. While this is useful for controllable mob farms, no one wants creepers in the middle of their base. -- Orthotope 10:47, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
In the History section it states that lamps were originally lanterns,however redstone lamps and lanterns are unrelated. I will remove the trivia and History but if anyone can link me proof of them being related please put it back and link me it.
Falling edge delay
I've noticed lamps don't have rising edge delay, but DO have falling edge delay: 2 redstone ticks. Googled this problem and none is discussing the topic, which is strange. Think this should be added to the article.
The redstone lamp is useful in redstone contraptions because it's a one-block 2 tick pulse extender 220.127.116.11 16:42, 2 December 2018 (UTC)
Colored Redstone Lamps
Having no Idea where to post this, I will post it here. I believe Glowstone should be dye-able. Just like wool, using the same dye methods as wool. This way you could be more creative with lighting. Also with the Redstone update, could be implements with a lot of games etc for redstone. Such as red, yellow, green lights, etc. Redstone Lamps should also be dye-able. This would be a huge improvement to the games lighting overall and a great addition.
- Hi again!
- The Minecraft Wiki exists to document Minecraft. Please use the forums to suggest game features.
- —Munin295 · · 05:31, 22 January 2013 (UTC)
I think that redstone should be colorable with the regular dyes and it just work like regular redstone, but it will color redstone lamps and their lights.
--18.104.22.168 00:56, 22 May 2013 (UTC)
- The Minecraft Wiki exists to document Minecraft. Please use the forums to suggest game features.
- —Munin295 · · 01:14, 22 May 2013 (UTC)
Should have a disambiguation for the new Lantern blocks
I assumed they'd be called "lamps" and got redirected to Redstone Lamp, had to go to the changelog to see that they're called lanterns. https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Lantern
22.214.171.124 05:31, 24 June 2019 (UTC)