Vanilla 1.14.3 Java version here, no texture pack, at coords X -8.8k, Y -100. I've been waiting for a full moon to kill slime in a swamp, and it seems to me that the Moon#Phases chronological order is reversed. The order actually seems to be (by the graphics icon displayed) Full Moon, Waxing Gibbous, First Quarter, Waxing Crescent, New Moon, Waning Crescent, Last Quarter, and Waning Gibbous instead. Confirmed?
22.214.171.124 12:06, 28 June 2019 (UTC)
- Some of the graphics on the moon page are confusingly left-right flipped -- what the moon would see if it were looking at itself in the mirror, not what we see when we look up at the moon. This may have happened in the graphics editing software used to create these graphics. It is confusing. I can fix this; working on it in Gimp now... --Glowstone56 (talk) 20:54, 21 September 2019 (UTC)
- Done. I uploaded corrected versions of the troublesome trucks, erm, backwards moons. Cheese everywhere! --Glowstone56 (talk) 05:08, 22 September 2019 (UTC)
I created the following image to illustrate how the moon looks in Minecraft and give some moon viewing tips and observations. I'd like to land this image on the moon [page], but I lack volition or momentum or fuel or something... EV suit at the dry cleaners? Curage to spelll. XP to enchant. something. --Glowstone56 (talk) 19:18, 25 September 2019 (UTC)
Should this be considered vandalism?
Hey, so a person has basically "vandalized" the entire article.
I know that in Java and Console, the shine on the moon is on the top-right, but in the raw files, it is on the top-left. Isn't using raw files better than screenshots from the game? The shine is also on the top-left in Bedrock Edition.
Also, astronomically, the "Half" phases are called Quarters.
The person also has added straight-up false information to the article: "Look carefully and you will (...) This will help you time your slime hunt in the swamp."
- I wouldn't change it back necessarily; it wasn't vandalism, perhaps the person just wasn't thinking with Bedrock in mind. Given that the wiki had the moon oriented the other way for so long, I wonder if Bedrock only flipped it recently. Worth investigation of old versions I think, to find this out.
- Texture files orientation don't really have bearing on its appearance on the wiki. But differences in different editions do, of course.
- What you quote as "straight up false information" isn't false, it's true, go ahead read it again, what do you think.
- I think the person was in good faith here. Let's find out if either bedrock or java has changed the moon sometime in their histories, check for a bug report on the tracker, and go from there. – Sealbudsman talk | contribs 12:35, 11 October 2019 (UTC)
- If my edits are dim, please help brighten them. Please do not consider my edits vandalism. My wording on how to identify the waxing moon, and hence prepare for the full moon and good slime hunting in the swamp, is brief and imperfect. This is a wiki. Let's make it better together. I think I worded it better in the text of the graphic that I put above on this talk page. That is more words and sometimes less is more. But maybe not this time. Thank you, Mushroom378, for mentioning that half moons are astronomically referred to as quarter moons. I was ignorant of this. So, a 'waxing half moon' is a 'first quarter moon' and a 'waning half moon' is a 'last quarter moon'. I was told that as a child but didn't understand. I think it has to do with the full moon being half way through the phase from new moon to new moon, with the waxing half moon being the first quarter way through the phases, the full moon being half way through the phases, and the last quarter phase being the waning half moon. I have updated the Moon page accordingly. Thank you!
- --Glowstone56 (talk) 04:01, 19 October 2019 (UTC)