- 1 Video should be removed?
- 2 Blank map?
- 3 Map not working
- 4 Map Stops Updating
- 5 Map not centered when created
- 6 How does the NEW map work? I can not enlarge it or zoom it or anything???
- 7 Sheets over pieces
- 8 Zooming a map breaks clones
- 9 The type
- 10 Orientation of New Map
- 11 Could someone add the map color shematics?
- 12 PE zooming and indicators
Video should be removed?[edit source]
The map video is outdated, and since a ton of map features have been changed, I tihnk it should be removed or at least updated. Suggestions?
Blank map?[edit source]
I've already used the map before and i load a few more using empty maps, then the maps just stop working after a while. Why is this? (DarkWolfInsanity)
- I have the same issue: Maps become empty. Only solution is to make a new map of the corresponding area. 188.8.131.52 21:35, 10 April 2013 (UTC)
- In single player, if you save and quit to title, and then load the world, the map comes back.--184.108.40.206 03:24, 12 April 2013 (UTC)
- We have a similar problem on a server. The maps are crafted, explored and working a while, than suddenly they behave like they would be of an entirely wrong area which isn't explored at all. Maps in item frames seems partially immune to this. And I couldn't figure out, where this maps "belive" to be centered on yet. - Greand
- Update: The maps all become centered on 0/0. I didn't realize this earlier, because the white dot, telling me in which direction I am off the map, points in the wrong direction. (Example: If I am at 1000/1000 it indicates, that I would be north-west of the mapped area.) The dot still vanishes, if I move further than +-2559, as it should, for a map of this size at 0/0.
Drellgor 06:37, 21 August 2013 (UTC)
I've got the same issue. Anyone know how to resolve this on SMP? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
- It does help to delete the height, width and dimension tags from the corresponding map file in "<worldfolder>\data" with the NBTExplorer. With this, you don't have to change the damage IDs of your maps in player inventories, chests, item frames, blabla. You will need to reexplore the maps area, though. Link to the NBTExplorer: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/840677-nbtexplorer-nbt-editor-for-windows-and-mac/ -- 220.127.116.11 15:53, 10 September 2013 (UTC)
Map not working[edit source]
I push the right click button but still is not working and i have moved a lot it was created on earth nut not working on earth. Is it my controls? And i have restarted so it is ticking me off this is 1.6.2
Yes, it's not right-click, it's Use Item/Place Block. Note to all editors: When players redefine Use Item/Place Block, it does not affect GUIs. When you put "right-click" in a page, players who have redefined that control will open their inventories, right-click, and get confused when nothing happens. The same goes for left-click and the Attack/Destroy control. For example, I've been playing Minecraft for four or five years now, and I've redefined those controls since the beginning. There's not really any chance of me automatically thinking "use item key" when I read "right-click". -- eekee -- 18.104.22.168 13:38, 27 August 2014 (UTC)
Map Stops Updating[edit source]
I'm having maps stop moving the player marker or update to show new exploration after awhile, only recourse seems to be throw them away and start a new one?
Map not centered when created[edit source]
Is this a bug? the area that i want to map is entirely at the corners of four maps no matter how many i make. 1.6.2 22.214.171.124 00:55, 14 July 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah this happens to me as well if it is intended I hate it if its a bug i hope it gets fixed cause it should be centered and then expand on all sides equally when adding more pages to it to make it bigger, tho when made into the max size it will be centered but who want all there maps max size only to be centered. Like I said really annoying if its not a bug and should be fixed if it isn't a bug as well. --Rocket611 02:47, 1 August 2013 (UTC)
- amh11706 on Youtube has a nice description of 1.6 map behavior. This is not a bug, just another 'feature' to make things simpler. 126.96.36.199 22:41, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
- This is indeed a feature, it is used to help make maps "connect" to each other, unlike how prior you had to get to an excact coordinate to extend the map without zooming. This was used to make maps larger as well, by putting them in item frames.--188.8.131.52 14:10, 14 December 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for the Video post, I'll check it out. Meanwhile, I'd Hope that this aspect of Maps' inherent "behavior," then would help find-edges, to make connecting-edges of different Maps (at the same Zoom level, of course), easier, as opposed to a Very careful matter probably involving the F3, Debug screen info. to get- co-ordinates, before-Crafting, Every single intended New, Map area to border any-other Map, and seamlessly- overlap And /Or connect 184.108.40.206 01:27, 14 December 2013 (UTC) Yilante.
It appears that zoomed maps were changed in the snapshot 14w31a such that they will all snap to a grid. Someone created a ticket in the bug tracker (MC-64909) but there is no mention of the change in the snapshot descriptions or here on the wiki. There are comments in the bug tracker suggesting this is an intentional change. Can someone update the wiki so that we have documentation or an explanation on how the grid is laid out and where to find its edges? Zmcminer (talk) 16:13, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
After a bit of experimenting I think it works as follows: The first zoom 0 map is centered at 0,0 so it's edges are at +-64,+-64. The top left corner of this first map is at -64, -64. This becomes the "most important point" for mapping. It will be the corner point for all 4 maps to the NE, SE, NW, SW of it *at all zoom levels*. So to start mapping, make 4 maps at level 0. One at -60 -60, one at -70, -60, one at -70, -70, and one at -60, -70. Then enlarge these to the sizes you want. From there it should be more obvious how to proceed. One caveat is that out of habit I always make my first map at exactly 0,0. So it's possible that this could effect things. This is all with the latest stable 1.8 version. --Ntriplett (talk) 19:38, 6 September 2014 (UTC)
- I think this is correct except, (I haven't tried this yet) I believe the level 4 map will start at the top left corner at 0, 0 as well. The graphic that someone posted is mostly correct except for this point. I did create a map at 0, -2048 and this is the case for it--each subsequent map when created at that point, showed me closer and closer to the top left corner.Zmcminer (talk) 15:50, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
How does the NEW map work? I can not enlarge it or zoom it or anything???[edit source]
Wiki does not help!!
If you are zooming out, and take the zoomed out map out of the crafting table WITH a shift click, it will stay the same. Basically wasting 8 paper. Picking the map up with the cursor seems to be the solution.
Other point, maps do not save info on zooming out. You will have to explore again.--220.127.116.11 07:37, 23 April 2014 (UTC)
Sheets over pieces[edit source]
Zooming a map breaks clones[edit source]
I made a map in SSP and zoomed it out three times, to make it a level 3 map. Then I made two clones of it, and they all correctly showed shared explored area. But when I then zoomed out one of them again to make it a level 4 map, all maps behaved as individual maps from then on. Both clones of the original map were also not connected to eachother anymore. Every map kept it's own map data, and exploring new areas had only effect on the map I was holding, eventhough they were clones before. Does this mean zooming out breaks clones, or is this a bug (if so, is this something they will fix)? Can I get around this problem, or do I have to avoid zooming out cloned maps for now? I wanted to add a note to the page, but I wasn't sure about this. Thanks - Jack. 18.104.22.168 15:34, 11 August 2014 (UTC)
The type[edit source]
- We use the same categorization as the Creative mode inventory. -- Orthotopetalk 00:38, 21 May 2015 (UTC)
Orientation of New Map[edit source]
It appears that when a player creates a new drawn map, south is on top? East is to the left, West is to the right, and North is the bottom, as the character holds it. Is this correct? If this is the case, should this be noted on this page? In US, North is usually at the top of any RL map, not sure about maps in other countries. ---AlfredCloutiertalk 13:31, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
- North is up, according to the debug screen. It's possible Console-edition maps work differently. -- Orthotopetalk 15:02, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
Could someone add the map color shematics?[edit source]
Could a new section "color shematics" be added? It lists what color the map will display in accordance with the block. For example, leaves are displayed in dark green, grass blocks are displayed in light green, myceliums purple, stones grey... 22.214.171.124 12:43, 13 October 2015 (UTC)
PE zooming and indicators[edit source]
So I uploaded File:Map PE Zoom.png and File:Map PE Put Indicator.png, with the hopes that it'll help with adding those in, but i gotta go for now, bye – Sealbudsman talk/contr 20:59, 10 April 2016 (UTC)