The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
|This is an archived version of Talk:Language. This page is decommissioned and not intended for discussion.|
New conversations can be added at the current talk page.
- 1 Dutch
- 2 Danish territories, and the actual language
- 3 Menu button stuff
- 4 Basque
- 5 English (UK) vs English (US)
- 6 Turkish?
- 7 Don't be such morons, guys....
- 8 Austrian German (Österreichisch)
- 9 How do you install them?
- 10 Offensive Slur
- 11 Changing the term 'fictive language'
- 12 Sindarin really upcoming?
- 13 More fictive languages are fun
- 14 "Bugs" in Canadian English
- 15 Ancient tongue
- 16 Someone needs to overhaul the table
- 17 Gold Shoes no longer called Buttershoes in pirate
- 18 Small error in describing Quenya translation bug
- 19 (Windows) Keyboard Layouts
- 20 Swearing Translations
- 21 Help
- 22 How to fix inaccuracies in certain language?
- 23 Where is the US english .lang file?
- 24 English (UK) bug
- 25 Español (Uruguay) language is full of insulting things
- 26 Langs
- 27 Files
- 28 Is there not a template for indicating that a page is out of date?
- 29 Other editions
- 30 Addition of new languages in 1.9
- 31 No 'upside-down english' listed on Crowdin?
- 32 Polish
- 33 Espannol
I'm SOOOOO Happy to see there will be Dutch too!! ( im an Dutch boy so...) --11:13, 17 December 2011 (UTC)
- Great to see there's Italian (even though the different Italian dialects, like Lombard, Sicilian, etc. should be in for the lulz :P). Since Klingon and Quenya are coming, Dragon Tongue from Skyrim should definitely be in (seeing how Notch plays Skyrim as well, he could make a deal with Bethesda :D)!
- While I'm at it, where's the source for the Klingon/Quenya info?--
16:08, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
- Notch/Jeb needs to make leet, Latin, and gangster…
04:00, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
- Make the first step and start new languages on that page ! :) When people will see the new language you've added, some will come and add their touch to the thing if they speak the language. -- 20:56, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
- Notch/Jeb needs to make leet, Latin, and gangster…
Danish territories, and the actual language
Faroe Islands seems to be on the list for Denmark, and the language Danish. However, the casual spoken language on these islands are not danish. I'm aware that most people that lives there know how to speak danish, and that it is one of the two official languages of the islands.
Please consider if this is based on territory, or language. Greenland is danish too. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ) 07:33, 1 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Danish is an official language in Faroe Islands (I checked) and thanks for the tipp on Greenland ! Just added it. In fact I based myself on the official languages on wikipedia. Feel free to make corrections ; I did the best I could. There might be some mistakes but most of it is right. I let you imagine the work it took me to make this page :) -- 20:51, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
I noticed today that when you press ESC you can change language from there. I am using 12w01a and don't remember this button being there in earlier prereleases. Is this new to 12w01a or has it been there since languages were introduced?23:52, 5 January 2012 (UTC)
- no, it was in 11W49A –Preceding unsigned comment was added by
( ) 10:38, 6 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Thanks for clearing that up (I'm so unobservant :3) 17:21, 6 January 2012 (UTC)
Basque language is not Ingelera but Euskara. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ) 11:54, 12 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
English (UK) vs English (US)
I would very much like to know what the differences between uk and us english are, and which is the "default" minecraft language (before languages were added). --– ceterum censeo error quasi-connectivitatis pistonis delendam esse. 13:25, 14 January 2012 (UTC)
- US English was the default before Languages were added. As for the differences, I'm not sure what the differences between the two options actually are but Dirt should be Soil, gray should be grey, armor should be armour, and Leather Pants should be Leather Trousers. 18:37, 20 January 2012 (UTC)
- I realize this is an old comment. Most differences would be in the spelling on different words. Americans also use some different words that the UK ( ) 22:24, 15 March 2016 (UTC)
Who translates Turkish words? some of them are wrong and contain obscenities >:|
For example when i get achievement :
in English : Achievement get!
in Turkish : Havalanma, MK! ( means : Dont be so spoiled, Mother F***** )
I wish Mojang will fix this :S –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ) 20:00, 17 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- This is the act of trolls who edited most of the translations. This is being fixed. Don't worry. -- 22:22, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
Believe it or not, I had to sensor a bad word since kids come to this site
Don't be such morons, guys....
I noticed some poor acts recently on the page I have put so much work in (I designed all of its structure and I worked hard to edit it at each update) :
- Kosovo was removed from the list of official Serbian speakers
- Cyprus was removed from the list of official Turkish speakers
These countries DO BELONG to where I wrote theme.
I know that these countries are in the middle of conflicts for international recognisance. The internet is the place of universal freedom of expression. I don't want to know who did this, but whoever did it should be ashamed. This is not a place for such dumb conflicts. These people exist and have the same rights as everybody else.
If you do not agree with the legitimity of these countries, then go away instead of so poorly griefing this page ; it is your problem, not the one of people who make pages for you to read and enjoy. We write for your pleasure of reading, so stop doing such stupid and useless things.
Always happy to enhance this great wiki about a great game, --22:34, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
- Don't try to bully out your own opinion here, I noticed what is going and I made neutral by putting Kosovo like this (Kosovo). If it is the freedom of expression you are after, that that applies to both sides of the matter, not just your own. If you want righteous, then leave the article as it is, neutral,or if you support one side, get ready for an edit war. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by ( ) 15:35, 22 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- as an admin, I say that brackets are not needed. if they deem themselves separate, let them do so. don't put your own opinions to their country. -- 15:38, 22 January 2012 (UTC)
- I understand what you mean, but if these two countries consider themselves as independant, then I see no reason not to mention them here. They are the only legitimate ones to decide of their identity. I just think it is stupid to introduce these conflicts in here by so stupidly removing them from the list.... Anyway, what will such an act change ? Just let them be and everybody's happy.... I just feel a bit sad when I see that some people only think about such insignificant matters instead of fully contributing to this great wiki.... -- 20:56, 23 January 2012 (UTC)
- Uh uh,but I doubt you would feel the same if it were the same case scenario with your countries.To you guys it may not be a big deal,but it is a bit important for some others you know.Being from a country in which this problems exists,it insults me as it's citizen.Besides,you know not what is going on there,it's neither a country nor a province now,but whatever,it's not like you'll understand. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by ( ) 13:46, 24 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Look,Kosovo is a disputed territory,and this is a Wiki,so it cannot be one-sided,check Wikipedia if you think it is settled.I also added that Serbian is official only in the Republic of Srpska part of Bosnia and Herzegovina. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by ( ) 01:34, 12 April 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Austrian German (Österreichisch)
One of the main problems for a proper translation into Austrian German is not the lack of differences, but the variety in Austria itself. For example the difference between Vienise German and usual German is as big as Vienise an Tyrol German.
Concerning Austrian German: Kübel (bukkit), Gammelfleisch (Rotten flesh), Brathendl (Chicken), Torte (cake), Ziegel (Brick), Corcerning German: Eisengitter (iron bars), Treibsand (soul sand), and something instead of warze for wart for example Kraut
Further potions should be named like Schnelligkeitstrank instead of Trank der Schnelligkeit
also splash potions translated spritziger trank some Soda water can be "spritzig" but not a splash potion the fitting sense would be moreless Wurftrank
further baue is a poor translation for Craft, fertigen would be miles better –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ) 16:55, 26 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
How do you install them?
Because I'm obviously not doing something right. I made a custom language pack, which minecraft refuses to show on the language list. --16:42, 30 January 2012 (UTC)
add the files to a zip, stick it in .minecraft/mods, download mcpatcher, patch minecraft with the name of the zip you put in mods. it shouldbe in the languages when you check in minecraft.16:32, 3 August 2012 (UTC)--BDawg--
You also need to edit the languages.txt.22:15, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
So, am I just late, or has anyone else seen that, under the African language, the singleplayer button says "You are a NIGGER"? I've seen little to no information as to WHY it says that...03:16, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- It has been noticed, and is listed in the 'Bugs & Inaccuracy' section. As for why, this is what happens when developers let 'the community' translate things without reviewing submissions for accuracy. Facebook has had similar problems, as documented here and here. -- 03:54, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
- Ah! I didn't know the translations were submitted. Thank you. 11:59, 31 January 2012 (UTC)
Changing the term 'fictive language'
Hi everyone, I have just a simple question: Couldn't we change the term 'fictive language' into 'conlang', 'constructed language' or 'artificial language' because 'fictive' insists that the language doesn't exist in reality.23:41, 2 February 2012 (UTC)
- Done. Updated to "constructed language". - ( ) 20:44, 9 June 2012 (UTC)
Sindarin really upcoming?
Can't find anything about it on the project translation page. Maybe I'm just blind.
Dan enni e bain ;-) --23:34, 6 February 2012 (UTC)
More fictive languages are fun
It would make the game really fun if more fictive languages were added in my opinion. I personally want them to add the Dragon Language from Skyrim. Tell me what you think.12:48, 10 February 2012 (UTC)
I totally agree with you Mr. or Mrs. 220.127.116.11, but I'm afraid the Dragon Language doesn't have a sufficient vocabulary. Unlike some other conlangs; I suggested Na'vi a few times to Jens, but I haven't yet had a reply from him. Another language could be Dothraki, but I don't really know whether its vocabulary is sufficient or not.
-- 22:17, 15 February 2012 (UTC)
"Bugs" in Canadian English
I don't think these should be listed as bugs. There is not a real reason to play in Canadian English, as UK and US English are pretty much the same, and I don't think anyone would be bothered by this. Speaking of the table, it is not 100% accurate to call the US English "official in the USA", as the USA doesn't have an official language yet (although some states do).00:56, 19 February 2012 (UTC)
- Fixed translations are moved to trivia. - ( ) 20:44, 9 June 2012 (UTC)
It would be cool if they had minecraft in the ancient tongue (from Eragon) –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ) 920:19, 24 February 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Yes! –Preceding unsigned comment was added by ( ) 16:16, 16 May 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Someone needs to overhaul the table
Each and every number needs to be replaced manually whenever the table is updated. I would have added Esperanto but I'm not going to waste my time manually redoing every single number when ultimately the table itself is what needs to be changed.
Someone needs to create a template for it that can be easily added to whenever the need arises. I would but I've forgotten how.01:49, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
Gold Shoes no longer called Buttershoes in pirate
has anyone else noticed that they're now called Pegleg o' Gold now? and not buttershoes? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ) 20:54, 9 March 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Fixing. <_<
Small error in describing Quenya translation bug
It says that Minecraft shows the translation of "lever" in Quenya to be "Mechanical Penis", but it's actually "Mechanic Penis". However, it won't let me edit that because of the word "penis". –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( | ) 03:15, 19 March 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Already fixed. - ( ) 20:44, 9 June 2012 (UTC)
OMG thats kinda funny but HORRIBLE.
(Windows) Keyboard Layouts
I've recently created a custom keyboard layout for my Windows 7 computer where I changed the single quote character to § in hopes that I could type in color, but it doesn't seem to work with Minecraft. Are keyboard layouts related to these language packs, or do I have to configure something in java to get it to work? Or, if it's impossible to get it working at all, why? Thanks in advance for any useful responses!23:50, 21 March 2012 (UTC)
- This is off-topic; go to the article and for this. It's already been addressed there. - ( ) 19:38, 9 June 2012 (UTC)
The text in the middle is completely wrong. Here is the true translation: Bir kitap,(a book), obsidyen(obsidian) ve(and) elması(diamond) bir büyüleme masası(an enchantment table) yapmak(to craft) için(for) kullan(to use). So if we translate it correctly it means: "Use a book, obsidian and a diamond to craft an enchantment table" which is the same thing in English. Please correct it. Thanks. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( | ) 20:16, 25 April 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I tried two different translating sites (not speaking Turkish myself) and the translation for both was "A book, obsidian and diamonds used to create a spell board." 23:41, 5 June 2012 (UTC)
I'm wondering how to use private characters in language packs or apply a new font file to the language pack.16:34, 3 August 2012 (UTC)---BDawg---
How to fix inaccuracies in certain language?
Hi, I would like to ask what is the main authority translating minecraft into specific languages? I have the Czech language in mind. I think there should be made some changes in translations of cobblestone and stone. Who should I contact? Who is responsible for this? --21:24, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
- See https://crowdin.net/project/minecraft. -- 04:20, 26 February 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you very much. -- 11:09, 26 February 2013 (UTC)
Where is the US english .lang file?
I can't find it, I thought it would be called "en_US", but it's not there.
23:29, 26 July 2013 (UTC)
- Minecraft 1.6.2.jar/assets/minecraft/lang/en_US.lang ; it exists. -- 00:42, 27 July 2013 (UTC)
English (UK) bug
I've found that sponges have a very inapropiate name (I LOVE G** P****) in en_GB.lang or when using English (UK) language. Please mojang fix it soon. --11:18, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
Can you upload an image for proof? -13:19, 2 August 2013 (UTC)
It's now fixed, I've reported that translation in Minecraft Crowdin's project and now it shows "Sponge". The old translation is still in that page. --00:49, 3 August 2013 (UTC)
Español (Uruguay) language is full of insulting things
I've used Español (Uruguay) translation and it's full of imprecisions like Dragon of Bender and a lot of insulting words (like the name of the snow, the dragon egg or even the wool). Please fix that soon. --14:48, 2 September 2013 (UTC)
Is there a way to get to minecraft's localization assets? It's no longer in minecraft.jar/assets/lang/. I'd like to update this list if possible, since I use for reference sometimes. -01:12, 30 January 2016 (UTC)
- They're now in /assets/ ; you'll need to check the JSON index files to find the actual .lang files. -- 02:51, 30 January 2016 (UTC)
- Good god, this format is a mess! :P I guess it's to prevent piracy. Thank you very much for the help though. - 14:43, 30 January 2016 (UTC)
I cant find other languages (pl_PL en_UK de_DE (& qya_AA) etc.) in mc 1.6.x+ (1.7.x 1.8.x 1.9). Y?
- Go to
.minecraft/assets/indexesand click on the version you want. Use the "locate" function (ctrl+F on WordPad on Windows) or manually search and you'll find the languages folder name under "hash". (I just checked and pl_PL, en_GB, de_DE, and qya_AA are in there). Go to
.minecraft/assets/objectsand find the file with the corresponding "hash" you found. Hope this helped. -- ( ) pt-br Wiki Admin 17:17, 27 February 2016 (UTC)
- it doesn't works. i'm in search of other languages in mc V1.7.10 win7 os ;( 11:55, 28 February 2016 (UTC) give me vid mabe...
- I couldn't find any video about it, sorry. See if this answer helps: . -- ( ) pt-br Wiki Admin 14:02, 28 February 2016 (UTC)
- Where can i find qya lang? - i found pl_PL yet 14:16, 3 March 2016 (UTC)
- I couldn't find any video about it, sorry. See if this answer helps: . -- ( ) pt-br Wiki Admin 14:02, 28 February 2016 (UTC)
Is there not a template for indicating that a page is out of date?
I can't help but notice that this language list hasn't been updated since 1.8, and there are several new languages. But I couldn't figure out the template to mark this article as in need of an update.00:57, 11 March 2016 (UTC)
Currently the right of the list only displays the version they were added to the PC version. Can someone add the versions for pocket edition as well? -( )
- seems this request has been overlooked. Can someone please look into adding these? ( ) 16:12, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
Addition of new languages in 1.9
I just wanted to point out that language files are changed or added seperately, as they are in the assets system, just like the sounds. So the language assets have been updated the day 1.9.1-pre2 came out, which lead to some confusion. It often was said that 1.9.1-pre2 added some new languages. This is false. The new languages, such as LOLCAT or Ripuarian, are already useable in Minecraft 1.9, so it should be in the changelog for 1.9, not in the changelog for 1.9.1-pre2. |( ) 18:02, 16 March 2016 (UTC)
No 'upside-down english' listed on Crowdin?
What about this? | ( ) 21:59, 24 April 2016 (UTC)
- I could swear that wasn't in the list of all languages when I checked. Anyway, I still don't think we need a list of possible future translations, since there's no indication of when or if they'll be added to Minecraft. -- 22:46, 24 April 2016 (UTC)
- I agree. Anyway, keep in mind that those languages will be added in the near future. I suspect the new languages will already be present in 1.9.3 (since Jeb does export the language files quite often since the release of 1.9). | ( ) 15:32, 25 April 2016 (UTC)
- Well, ɥsᴉlƃuƎ and Gàidhlig are in the game since yesterday. I just added them. Country for ɥsᴉlƃuƎ is "United Kingdom" since the language itself states to be spoken in the "ʞ∩". |
( ) 15:27, 26 April 2016 (UTC)
- Are you sure it's not Australia? ;) - 19:20, 26 April 2016 (UTC)
Asturianu, Brezhoneg, Català, Cymraeg, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, ɥsᴉlƃuƎ, Pirate Speak, American, Esperanto, Argentinian, Mexican, Uruguayan, Venezuelan, Euskara, Filipino, Føroyskt, Français québécois, Gàidhlig, Galego, Gaelg, Lojban, Kölsch/Ripoarisch, Limburgs, LOLCAT, Te Reo Māori, Platdüütsk, Occitan, Português (Brasil), Quenya, Davvisámegiella, tlhIngan Hol, Talossan & Valencià
we (polish people) need Kaszeebee & Silaska (csb_PL & sil_PL). someone can do this?20:00, 11 June 2016 (UTC)
- You're asking at the wrong place. Go to the crowdin page and request it there.
( ) 10:14, 19 June 2016 (UTC)
- where can i find this gimme url –Preceding unsigned comment was added by ( ) at 21:41, 02 July 2016 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
what's different in spain & sAmericans' spains "languages"? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by( ). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- A lot of things. You can find more info at . ( ) 10:16, 19 June 2016 (UTC)