Talk:Java Edition 1.17
- 1 Lock this page until Minecraft Live is over.
- 2 Gibberish
- 3 Links to timestamps on the Minecraft Live stream
- 4 Confirmed as 1.17?
- 5 Stalactite Typo
- 6 new ore
- 7 Warden width
- 8 Discuss
- 9 Geode casing blocks
- 10 Remove Parity of waterlogged rails?
- 11 Remove transclusion?
- 12 an awesome lad revamp the entire page, but...
- 13 Upgrade from 1.16.x
Lock this page until Minecraft Live is over.
So, since this is a high traffic page, can you lock the page temporarily until the show ends? It's annoying to get edits you spent a long time on to get reverted because someone made an edit a millisecond before you started editing. --DiamondIoanX (talk) 16:16, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
- It is over now, how about unlocking it? Unbeatable1001 (talk) 13:40, 7 October 2020 (UTC)
- Just try your very best to prevent edit conflicts. Blockofnetherite Talk Contributions 17:32, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
- Done. Now this page is semi-protected. Also, the show is over by now. Blockofnetherite Talk Contributions 18:22, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
- Suggestion Wouldn't it be a better idea to keep speculation in Caves & Cliffs and show only facts here (bug reports, maybe release date)? We don't know if it is going to be one update or split one, even for Java Edition. --Robotkoer (talk) 19:41, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
- In other words, I Support this revision. --Robotkoer (talk) 19:51, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
- Could be wrong, but I believe it means you "bake" the clay pot to make it keep its pattern. Did not watch though, have just been spamming f5 on the wiki ;) 188.8.131.52 18:06, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
Links to timestamps on the Minecraft Live stream
This is a list of links to the Minecraft Live stream, where some C&C features are shown. WIP
- 31:28- Name announced.
- 36:04- Lush Cave Footage
- 40:24 Improved Cave Generation
- 42:10 Still
- 42:47 Dripstone Caves
- 43:33 Concept Art
- 44:34 Sculk Growths, Sensor (Redstone Component)
- 47:51 Warden. (And yes, that's 13HP of damage with full Netherite.)
- For those curious, that thing survived 4 Fully Charged (all crits, 40 × 20), 3 Partially Charged Bow shots (guesstimate 15 × 7.5), 1 70%, 2 10% and 2 100% Netherite Sword swings (guesstimate 20 × 10. This means he has at least 75 × 37.5
- 51:15 Concept Art (yes, that's a scared Rabbit.)
- 54:10 Goats
- 54:40 Better Mountain Gen
- 1:03:32 Model Mob Vote Mobs. Might be interesting?
- 1:40:59 Demonstration of BE Scripts, by the method of Tomato.
- 1:43:51 And now, via the method of PvE
- 1:45:08 Sorry, your Golden Skull is locked. Try again later.
- 1:47:07 Via the method of Parkour.
- 1:55:02 Amethyst Geodes (Confirmed Rare)
- 1:57:11 Telescope (Needs Crystals)
- 1:57:47 Copper Ore (in clusters of veins, even!)
- 2:01:13 Lighting Rod (Attracts Lighting)
- 2:03:04 Bundles (Arbitrary-type, 1 Stack Backpacks)
- 2:08:01 Archeology (Wait, is that per-layer gravel?)
- 2:09:46 Clay Pots
- 2:12:00 Axoloths
- 2:15:27 Concept Art: Axoloth and Warden.
- 2:15:58 Concept Art: Axoloth, Goat and Warden.
Here are some other miscelaneous links of interest.
- Minecraft Live: The Recap from Minecraft.net
- Minecraft Live: Vote For the Next Mob from Minecraft.net. Might be useful for guessing some GlowSquid mechanics.
Confirmed as 1.17?
I watched most of Minecraft Live but I don't remember them confirming that Caves & Cliffs will be 1.17 specifically. It seems like a long time to go with no interim minor update like they usually do.
- Yes, well, this can happen. For example, 1.13 was meant to be Technical Update and 1.14 Update Aquatic. And they end up merging. Nobody knew, and one day, they said it is merging and that's it. So, it is yes, unconfirmed, but most of time, next update is annouced at Minecon (Or Minecraft Live nowadays) . --TreeIsLife (talk) 18:48, 3 October 2020 (UTC)
Yes, it's confirmed to be 1.17. They aren't going to talk about the whole 1.18 update at a 1.17 event. I know the technical update was merged, but that doesn't mean every single update after that will be merged. I do realize they brought up the mountain stuff last year, but that's because that was a vote. And that's also why I said, "The whole 1.18." Jens or Agnes said that whatever wins will be added to the next update (1.17) as well. FrozenDoctor (talk) 12:46, 8 October 2020 (UTC)Connor
in the trivia it says the addition of copper was the first ore added since 2012, but is netherite not an ore? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 21:37, 4 October 2020 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- No, they meant Real World ores, netherite does not exist in the real world. James Haydon (talk) 21:53, 4 October 2020 (UTC)
At least 2-3 new types of stone blocks have been shown off at Minecon 2020. While for now no official information has been revealed, I believe it is possible to make some educated guesses.
- The block that people are calling "Dripstone" I believe is actually "Limestone". The Primary reason is that the vast majority of stalactites and stalagmites are formed in limestone caves, The calcium deposits from the limestone is absorbed by water and as it drips down the calcium forms into stalactite/stalagmite. Limestone is usually associated with being a yellowish-brown/beige color, Though its likely for it to also be various shades of gray.
- The block seen in the deep dark is possibly "Slate". Slate is a dark gray and layered rock primarily used to make shingles on houses. Given this block's dark gray and layered (almost roof-like) texture this is my best bet. Another thing going for it is that the new block is only found in the Deep Dark biome, supposedly the deepest point in the caves now, since slate is a metamorphic rock that is formed deep underground due to intense heat and pressure it would fit.
- The last block is what is seen around the crystal geodes. Based on it's beige appearance and rough texture it fits the stereotypical limestone, another point for it is that Limestone can create geodes (Geodes are formed in metamorphic or igneous rock). The only issue is that I don't see Mojang implementing two different versions of limestone. Considering basalt and sandstone are already in the game and that limestone fits better for the "Dripstone" block, that leaves the last block surrounding the Geode to be "Shale". Shale comes in a variety of colors, including beige and a dark purplish-gray.
These are just my educated guesses, but I at least believe that "Dripstone" being "Limestone" and the Deep Dark stone being "Slate" are pretty accurate (The stone surrounding the Geodes is up in the air). 220.127.116.11 03:42, 10 October 2020 (UTC) JJ
Geode casing blocks
Apparently someone found a comment from Xilefian on one of Xisumavoid's video linked with a more detailed screenshot og the crystal geode blocks, including the two unknown geode casing blocks. Idk where to use this so I'm making this topic, maybe you can use that for something. --Bryan 00:24, 16 October 2020 (UTC)
- I got to feeling that mystery block is called Geode Shell, but that's my speculation and nothing to be confirmed unless my guess is correct...which is unlikely.--Charge Minecraft (talk) 23:21, 18 October 2020 (UTC)
Remove Parity of waterlogged rails?
From a bug report, there is a secret feature in it, but that image got removed, so... is that possible that it's a bug, or a command, or something... what do you think? --Charge Minecraft (talk) 00:54, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- No, it was there, it was during 1.17 development, and the image got uploaded to the wiki; this mention should not be removed. Dhranios (talk) 00:56, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- I've added an archive and a direct link to the image. They cant hide from us that easily :P Nixinova T C 01:00, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- I get that the version in bug report had waterlogged rail in it, but is the wiki allowed to show it..? Seems like it's somewhat like speculation, but idk. Just looking for some clarification. Thx! 18.104.22.168 20:20, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
- Removed---Humiebee Discuss anything with me Look at my edits 21:26, 4 November 2020 (UTC)
With the release of 20w45a, there are now development versions for 1.17, so should it become a normal version page with the combination of development version features, or keep the transclusion from Caves & Cliffs? – Unavailablehoax (talk) 22:10, 4 November 2020 (UTC)
- Done by an awesome lad.---Humiebee Discuss anything with me Look at my edits 02:24, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
an awesome lad revamp the entire page, but...
He COMPLETELY removed the entire section of the gallery, note, and trivia!! Can you please fix it, thank you! – Preceding unsigned comment was added by Charge Minecraft (talk • contribs) at 01:10, 8 November 2020 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- Weak oppose, the gallery was mostly caves and cliffs but the trivia should stay so i'm going to add it.---Humiebee Discuss anything with me Look at my edits 02:23, 8 November 2020 (UTC)
Upgrade from 1.16.x
Is this the right place to discuss migrating to the new 1.17.x release? Is there a plan for upgrading existing worlds from 1.16.x without losing major changes? I imagine preserving changes from earlier versions could be challenging with all the world generation differences.– unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 04:23, 26 November 2020 (UTC). Sign comments with ~~~~
- Here the thing... 1. No 2. You can update to snapshots and earlier versions anytime! 3. Always! But be careful of it, you need a backup of your world BEFORE you can play in the world. 4. Existing chucks WON'T change based on changing versions, BUT if you want to see new features, like amethyst geodes, you need to go to unloaded chucks. 5. But if you were to upgrade from 1.16 to 1.17, nothing bad going to happen, but make a backup in case of a corrupted world or chucks.