Talk:Java Edition hardware requirements
- Yes, this is correct. I wrote the official requirements and I can tell you from experience that computers below the minimum requirements are much more likely to not be able to run Minecraft. However this doesn't stop you from running MInecraft so if your computer works, good for you. Tyteen4a03 (talk) 08:49, 17 May 2017 (UTC)
- Remember too that frequency is not everything, Harp, as performance per-clock (ppc) has much improved much since the mid-2000's. You could have a very recent, lower clocked, CPU and still have the same or higher the performance as that of a Pentium D 805 for instance. -- Bb 20(Edits) 22:50, 17 May 2017 (UTC)
The minimum and optimal memory on this page is complete bs. Minecraft runs faster with less memory if you are doing simple tasks such as vanilla with a vanilla texture pack. The optimal memory for that is about 256MB, not 2GB. Minimum is closer to 128MB. This is referring to memory the game is launched with however; the system needs around 1 GB spare to be safe, so minimum should be 1 GB and optimal 1.5 GB. Quote from sp614x (creator of Optifine): "Launch Minecraft with less memory (yes, really). Usually it does not need more than 350 MB and runs fine on all settings with the default texture pack. By default java allocates way too much memory (1GB) which may get swapped to disk and the overall performance may suffer a lot." Source: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1272953-optifine-hd-a4-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 12:44, 28 September 2014 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
update requirements to meet current minecraft
the majority of the information here is out of date for 1.7, and will be even more so when OpenGL 2.1 becomes a requirement. is there any plans to overhaul this?
if not i could update but feedback/help would be welcome --Adam 27 (talk) 22:40, 22 February 2014 (UTC)
this is still a work in progress. text in bold is stuff im unsure about
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 update 45 or later is required to be able to run the game.
- Note that these requirements are for the game only you will need to allocate more resources to the OS!
(As of 1.7.4)
|Intel Pentium D or AMD K8 2.6 GHz+ CPUs
|512 MB||Any GPU supporting OpenGL 2.1 or later.1||300 MB for core files||LAN connectivity is required for multiplayer gaming.|
|Acceptable||Intel Pentium Dual-Core or AMD K8 dual core CPUs
|1 GB||(any ideas?)||450 MB for core files + saves||Low-ping Internet connection for online multiplayer gaming.|
|Recommended||Intel Core-Based CPUs or AMD K10-Based CPUs
|2 GB||GeForce 9xxx or Radeon HD 3xxx and up||800 MB||(guessing on gpu model number,i think i have the series about right)|
|Optimal||Intel Nehalem-Based CPUs or AMD Bulldozer-Based CPUs
|3 GB||GeForce GT 240
or ATI Radeon HD 5550 and up (overpowered compared to a gt240?)
|1 GB||A SSD can significantly improve world loading speed.|
- OpenGL 2.1 is not a requirement for 1.7, and it won't be for 1.8 either so we've got a ways to go until 1.9. Right now, OpenGL 1.3 is required, though the game will now use extra GL calls if the card supports it. ExtremeHeat11 (talk) 19:51, 15 March 2014 (UTC)