This helped me :D ---Darkus Relling of SDP 04:02, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
- 1 Ampersand (&) vs. section mark (§)
- 2 How do you get § sign?
- 3 Adding Scoreboard name column to the color table
- 4 color codes
- 5 British spelling
- 6 :)
- 7 weird................
- 8 Additional formatting codes beyond colors?
- 9 Alt Code
- 10 Section symbol support
- 11 Where can I edit colors?
- 12 Gold background color?
- 13 Using § in the language file for names doesn't work
- 14 using :§ doesnit work in mc 1.9.4
- 15 Using § without external editors
- 16 Which edition
Ampersand (&) vs. section mark (§)[edit source]
Currently, the article seems to use these symbols (& and §) interchangeably. Can someone who's familiar with it confirm which one is correct, or if both can be used equivalently in-game? -- Orthotope 05:27, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- I think the guys who created this (Pbfy0) confused the two symbols. It should be the section sign (§). - Asterick6 (talk) 20:55, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- You are correct, it should be the section sign. I just undid the changes of someone who changed the sections signs to ampersands, and changed the remaining ampersands to section signs as well. Hopefully whoever did that will leave it alone now. 184.108.40.206 16:34, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
- I believe the reason some editors have made this mistake is because many bukkit servers run plugins that can change the "&" to "§" without the user even knowing, making it very easy to become confused. -- maxpowa 01:12, 15 July 2012 (UTC)
How do you get § sign?[edit source]
I can't seem to paste it on to a sign... is there a keyboard shortcut?
It's only a key on the keyboards of people in Europe... I've tried pasting AND doing the keyboard shortcut but neither of them work in minecraft (they do work in word processor programs and other text things like search engines). Anyone know how we cam make this work?
I switched to a layout that has the section sign and can still not type it, nor paste it. 220.127.116.11 03:58, 11 August 2012 (UTC)
- Pasting it in works for me in Book & Quill, but not in Talk. PhilHibbs 22:28, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
There is a plugin/mod that replaces the selection sign (§) to (&).
For Mac, hold alt then hit 6. 18.104.22.168 05:09, 11 February 2015 (UTC) Whatever works for you will work for the colour coding.
From an european user with the § sign on the keyboard: Using it directly in the chat also doesn't work, like pasting. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 09:19, November 30, 2016 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Adding Scoreboard name column to the color table[edit source]
Since Scoreboard, textcolors now have official ingame names.
(when you use /scoreboard teams option someteamname color and press TAB, you can see them) Maybe we should add it to the table like so?
126.96.36.199 19:09, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
|Sample||Code||Common Name||Scoreboard Name||Foreground Color||Background Color|
|§f||White||white||255||255||255||#FFFFFF||63||63||63||#3F3F3F|Since the table in the page was... griefed, I took the liberty to replace it with this one. Gotta be bold. Okay, nevermind - page reverted before I could save changes. I vote to use this table though.--188.8.131.52 00:32, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
Ah I see someone removed the common name column and made Official Name, based on the color_names in Scoreboard but written like Color Names. That's even better than my idea. 184.108.40.206 20:29, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
color codes[edit source]
Link titleThe color codes wont work at all for Minecraft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY!220.127.116.11 00:56, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
- No idea, use MCEdit, and if you want to use so many exclamation points, you should include some ones. Pokechu22 22:08, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
British spelling[edit source]
At the moment, entering "Color codes" redirects to this page, while "Colour codes" (which is the British way of spelling "color") does not. I think a fix would be quite useful. 18.104.22.168 15:53, 2 April 2013 (UTC)Signature
Thanks, Minecraft Wiki makers. This really helps me in my mod that I have to edit my Book and Quill. I hope this page helps most people as much as it did me! I edited it so that they could realize that you could chat in color with &[number]! --22.214.171.124 22:54, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- That's not a vanilla Minecraft function. The ampersand (&) is on modified servers.
—Kanegasi ☺C23:02, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
Euyup good but hard
I somehow got to write in the error code writing but I can't do the color writing!
192.168.98.65 02:49, 12 April 2013 (UTC)
Additional formatting codes beyond colors?[edit source]
Hiya. I was wondering what the type of code used for the server.properties file is for formatting codes, as I'm trying to figure out how to input characters such as the em dash (—) and others into my multiplayer MOTD. Or, better yet, if you know how to do that specifically, even better. Thanks! --126.96.36.199 01:02, 5 September 2013 (UTC)
Alt Code[edit source]
When I use alt code in Minecraft, the numpad acts as arrow keys instead of numbers. I can use it outside Minecraft, but not in Minecraft. --13sparx13 10:57, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
Section symbol support[edit source]
Apparently, Mojang is slowly moving away from supporting § as a formatting symbol, as stated here by Dinnerbone: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-33145?focusedCommentId=111521&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-111521
Should we mention this in the article?
Where can I edit colors?[edit source]
I'm just wondering; how can I edit the Minecraft files so that I can add more colors? I'm very confused. -Jack –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 22:21, 22 August 2014 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Gold background color?[edit source]
- No, the table actually is correct as it is. There's a line of code that specifically brightens the red component of color 6, making it gold instead of olive (#AAAA00). The corresponding background is color 22, so it isn't changed and follows the pattern of the other background colors. Take a look at the class initializer of FontRenderer.java if you want to see the details of how the colors are calculated. -- Orthotopetalk 21:27, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
Using § in the language file for names doesn't work[edit source]
The wiki says it does. I tested multiple times. Latest as of 1.8
- Works just fine in the latest version. If you're using mods, that's likely the issue. Otherwise double-check that you're using resource packs correctly. Skylinerw (talk) 19:26, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
using :§ doesnit work in mc 1.9.4[edit source]
you are not able to use § in minecraft 1.9.4. but you are able to use & so it is more usefu if the table up there was using & not § –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Bbraun02 (talk • contribs) at 22:23, 06 June 2016 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Using § without external editors[edit source]
As of right now, it is possible to use § in commands without the use of external editors. If you place a sign with a click event, with the unicode combination \u00A7, you can use § in basically any command, allowing for uses such as coloured entity names and scoreboard objective names. Should the page be updated to reflect this (or is it just a bug that should be reported)? ~ CreepaShadowz (talk) 06:18, 10 August 2017 (UTC)