This helped me :D ---Darkus Relling of SDP 04:02, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
- 1 Ampersand (&) vs. section mark (§)
- 2 How do you get § sign?
- 3 Adding Scoreboard name column to the color table
- 4 color codes
- 5 British spelling
- 6 :)
- 7 weird................
- 8 Additional formatting codes beyond colors?
- 9 Alt Code
- 10 Section symbol support
- 11 Where can I edit colors?
- 12 Gold background color?
- 13 Using § in the language file for names doesn't work
- 14 using :§ doesnit work in mc 1.9.4
- 15 Using § without external editors
- 16 Which edition
- 17 How to put player names in to a book
- 18 Using the & symbol
- 19 I've Tried
Ampersand (&) vs. section mark (§)
Currently, the article seems to use these symbols (& and §) interchangeably. Can someone who's familiar with it confirm which one is correct, or if both can be used equivalently in-game? -- Orthotope 05:27, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- I think the guys who created this (Pbfy0) confused the two symbols. It should be the section sign (§). - Asterick6 (talk) 20:55, 26 June 2012 (UTC)
- You are correct, it should be the section sign. I just undid the changes of someone who changed the sections signs to ampersands, and changed the remaining ampersands to section signs as well. Hopefully whoever did that will leave it alone now. 18.104.22.168 16:34, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
- I believe the reason some editors have made this mistake is because many bukkit servers run plugins that can change the "&" to "§" without the user even knowing, making it very easy to become confused. -- maxpowa 01:12, 15 July 2012 (UTC)
How do you get § sign?
I can't seem to paste it on to a sign... is there a keyboard shortcut?
It's only a key on the keyboards of people in Europe... I've tried pasting AND doing the keyboard shortcut but neither of them work in minecraft (they do work in word processor programs and other text things like search engines). Anyone know how we cam make this work?
I switched to a layout that has the section sign and can still not type it, nor paste it. 22.214.171.124 03:58, 11 August 2012 (UTC)
- Pasting it in works for me in Book & Quill, but not in Talk. PhilHibbs 22:28, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
There is a plugin/mod that replaces the selection sign (§) to (&).
For Mac, hold alt then hit 6. 126.96.36.199 05:09, 11 February 2015 (UTC) Whatever works for you will work for the colour coding.
From an european user with the § sign on the keyboard: Using it directly in the chat also doesn't work, like pasting. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 09:19, November 30, 2016 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Adding Scoreboard name column to the color table
Since Scoreboard, textcolors now have official ingame names.
(when you use /scoreboard teams option someteamname color and press TAB, you can see them) Maybe we should add it to the table like so?
184.108.40.206 19:09, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
|Sample||Code||Common Name||Scoreboard Name||Foreground Color||Background Color|
|§f||White||white||255||255||255||#FFFFFF||63||63||63||#3F3F3F|Since the table in the page was... griefed, I took the liberty to replace it with this one. Gotta be bold. Okay, nevermind - page reverted before I could save changes. I vote to use this table though.--220.127.116.11 00:32, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
Ah I see someone removed the common name column and made Official Name, based on the color_names in Scoreboard but written like Color Names. That's even better than my idea. 18.104.22.168 20:29, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
Link titleThe color codes wont work at all for Minecraft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY!22.214.171.124 00:56, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
- No idea, use MCEdit, and if you want to use so many exclamation points, you should include some ones. Pokechu22 22:08, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
At the moment, entering "Color codes" redirects to this page, while "Colour codes" (which is the British way of spelling "color") does not. I think a fix would be quite useful. 126.96.36.199 15:53, 2 April 2013 (UTC)Signature
Thanks, Minecraft Wiki makers. This really helps me in my mod that I have to edit my Book and Quill. I hope this page helps most people as much as it did me! I edited it so that they could realize that you could chat in color with &[number]! --188.8.131.52 22:54, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
- That's not a vanilla Minecraft function. The ampersand (&) is on modified servers.
—Kanegasi ☺C23:02, 11 April 2013 (UTC)
Euyup good but hard
I somehow got to write in the error code writing but I can't do the color writing!
192.168.98.65 02:49, 12 April 2013 (UTC)
Additional formatting codes beyond colors?
Hiya. I was wondering what the type of code used for the server.properties file is for formatting codes, as I'm trying to figure out how to input characters such as the em dash (—) and others into my multiplayer MOTD. Or, better yet, if you know how to do that specifically, even better. Thanks! --184.108.40.206 01:02, 5 September 2013 (UTC)
When I use alt code in Minecraft, the numpad acts as arrow keys instead of numbers. I can use it outside Minecraft, but not in Minecraft. --13sparx13 10:57, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
Section symbol support
Apparently, Mojang is slowly moving away from supporting § as a formatting symbol, as stated here by Dinnerbone: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-33145?focusedCommentId=111521&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-111521
Should we mention this in the article?
Where can I edit colors?
I'm just wondering; how can I edit the Minecraft files so that I can add more colors? I'm very confused. -Jack –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 22:21, 22 August 2014 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Gold background color?
- No, the table actually is correct as it is. There's a line of code that specifically brightens the red component of color 6, making it gold instead of olive (#AAAA00). The corresponding background is color 22, so it isn't changed and follows the pattern of the other background colors. Take a look at the class initializer of FontRenderer.java if you want to see the details of how the colors are calculated. -- Orthotopetalk 21:27, 18 September 2014 (UTC)
Using § in the language file for names doesn't work
The wiki says it does. I tested multiple times. Latest as of 1.8
- Works just fine in the latest version. If you're using mods, that's likely the issue. Otherwise double-check that you're using resource packs correctly. Skylinerw (talk) 19:26, 7 December 2015 (UTC)
using :§ doesnit work in mc 1.9.4
you are not able to use § in minecraft 1.9.4. but you are able to use & so it is more usefu if the table up there was using & not § –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Bbraun02 (talk • contribs) at 22:23, 06 June 2016 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Using § without external editors
As of right now, it is possible to use § in commands without the use of external editors. If you place a sign with a click event, with the unicode combination \u00A7, you can use § in basically any command, allowing for uses such as coloured entity names and scoreboard objective names. Should the page be updated to reflect this (or is it just a bug that should be reported)? ~ CreepaShadowz (talk) 06:18, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- They're used in Bedrock Edition and can be used everywhere freely without the use of external editors. This page should probably be updated to reflect that. --Pepijn (talk) 07:49, 2 October 2017 (UTC)
How to put player names in to a book
I want to know what a code to put player name to show in a book
Using the & symbol
- As noted in several places on this talk page, that only works on modded servers. -- Orthotopetalk 22:46, 3 May 2018 (UTC)
I tried lots of times entering the § symbol, and I made sure Num Lock was on, I tried on a book and quill, and all I got was a 7 and 0 constantly switching between each other. Please tell me why this won't work.–Preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 1:09, 25 January 2019 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~