Released Image Discussion Links
The discussion of information relating to the screenshot of the ender can be found on this talk page, and the following talk pages. Please check these for similar discussions relating to the released image:
Question, why are we calling it Ender Sand? It's got the whitened texture of Cobblestone, so I'm thinking it'd be safer to call it Ender Stone? Serrix 01:00, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- It could be Ender Wool for all we know. For the sake of less changes, lets keep it to the current name. No need to make a change when it will likely be proved wrong anyway. Verhalthur (talk)(contribs) 01:03, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- The white cobblestone texture is actually for a different block, not the one in the screenshot that looks like it could be sand. FatherToast 01:11, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- I agree that it doesn't look like sand, I realised after I made the page and checked the terrain.png. But let's not make this a Rename/Move war just over the name.
- @FatherToast, what do you mean, used for a different block? --HexZyle 04:55, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
In the recent vid posted by notch, there is the stone footstep sound. --DarkFlame588 14:47, 10 October 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, I'm kind of eating my hat now. Sorry guys. --HexZyle 15:03, 10 October 2011 (UTC)
I'd personally vote for "Ender Stone," but I agree that it'd be silly to rename the article until we actually know what it's called. --Xolotl 17:06, 13 October 2011 (UTC)
- If people are able to collect it now, can't they just check it's tooltip? Why is this still conjecture when people can just read the tooltip? --HexZyle 04:07, 14 October 2011 (UTC)
Theory about this block.
Has anyone though of the this: Notch could have used a slightly different colored cobble stone texture just to be able to tell this "new block" apart from the rest of them. Just like the dragon has no skin on it yet, this block could have a test texture on it and he used a lighter cobble stone for it. People say that the light cobble stone texture is in the files now.. but that just could be from Jeb not removing the text textures, just like he didn't remove the debug for strongholds. I think this and a few other pages are pointless to have at this time. --Throex 02:07, 9 October 2011 (UTC) Not to mention: Jeb uploaded the minecraft.jar for PR3, three times. I watched him post it, but it didn't post as a link, then he posted it again and had to remove that twitter post and reupload it again and still he left a debug feature in there. That should go to show, that with three differet post and 2 uploads of the .jar that they forget to remove test features from the game. I actually have one of the .jars he uploaded for PR3 and then uploaded another and removed the first download link. I have not noticed anything different from it and the one he posted last, but I don't code nor look for difference nor had the time to do so. But I am willing to share it if anyone else would like to take the time to do that. Plus, I am sure others watch as he did this on his twitter and got the same .jar I did and then replaced it with the new one he posted. Was that confusing? lol --Throex 02:09, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- I'm pretty sure the Mojang team are being very careful about what content they are releasing to us. One wrong move and BOOM! Tonnes of speculation posts and rage threads all over the forums. That texture is going to stay, no doubt about it. What it will be used for and whether it will be the surface of the Ender is a mystery, but at the moment that is what it appears to be so that is what we will write about. --HexZyle 04:53, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- I completely understand why we are making pages about it, I just feel that its not the texture we will be receiving in the 1.9 update for the ender. Not saying it will not be used for something else in the future though. I just like to think to much about stuff and make up any possible theory just to see what others think about it. You never know though, anyone could be right or wrong. I think a lot of what they do and say about minecraft comes from the fines in general though. I am sure they read/watch this wiki, the forums and reddit just to make sure they are pleasing us. Whos knows maybe they will use "endersand" as the name since they see us using it already. lol --Throex 05:30, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- I see where you are coming from too. Hey do you know about the difference in quality between JPEGs and PNGs? I noticed that The Ender pic is in jpg format. Now usually that isn't a problem, but when you are trying to identify the texture of a tiny block in a dark image, it becomes quite annoying. >:( --HexZyle 05:42, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- JPEG is a lossy format, whereas PNG is lossless. Think of JPEG like an mp3, and PNG like a FLAC (or a zipfile of a WAV, if you don't know what FLAC is). JPEG uses various algorithms to compress the filesize down but technically loses quality while doing so. PNG makes an effort to compress as much as possible too, but will always be pixel-perfect. There are other differences too (such as PNG supporting alpha channels, etc) but you're probably more interested in the quality issue. --Xolotl 06:24, 15 October 2011 (UTC)
- Yeah, i know, I was asking HIM if HE knew about it. Because he was saying it wasn't the same texture and i was saying its way too hard to make out due to the quality of the picture --HexZyle 08:17, 15 October 2011 (UTC)
It looks as if the Ender will have biomes, since the cobblestone may just be a lightened grayscale version. Also, the depth is inside-out, in the picture you can see that the pattern is the same as this texture, but the deep cracks in this texture are popping out as rough lines in the picture.
Well it isn't going to biomes it will be a new dimension this is known because you have to use ender eyes to repair air portals and you will be able to use ender eyes to be able to find your way to strongholds. 220.127.116.11 20:28, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- So who said that? "ender eyes lead you to a stronghold?" --Throex 20:38, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- Never mind, did me research and found out it was from jeb in the stream from last night. haha --Throex 20:40, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
- I know that it will be a new dimension, I was stating the the new dimension (The Ender), will have biomes, and that's why the texture is grayscale. Notice how the grass-side texture is grayscale. That's so the game can apply the biome-map (spread of colors) onto that white area. TL;DR - Ender is a new dimension that may have biomes and the Ender Sand will be colored differently throughout the different biomes, but to do so you must make it grayscale. CDi-Fails 22:29, 9 October 2011 (UTC)
I think the "The end" video was uploaded by a troll. Please delete everything about this crap. --18.104.22.168 17:55, 10 October 2011 (UTC)
- Don't know about the video, but this page is just about the official screenshot released by notch. --HexZyle 19:53, 10 October 2011 (UTC)
- It shows what we have seen in the screenshot, there's an Enderdragon and Endermen in it, and Notch posted it to his twitter then deleted it shortly after. Why delete it?--DarkFlame588 06:36, 11 October 2011 (UTC)
- Ah, THAT video. I have no idea what is going on there. --HexZyle 10:42, 11 October 2011 (UTC)
"The End" video
I think it was a troll, one because the image posted and used from that video has a block that looks nothing like the light cobble stone texture shown on the ender sand page. Also, if it WAS from notch.. why would it be from a new account when notch has posted everything on "nizzotch" or how ever he spells it since infdev? ITS A TROLL!!! KICK IT! lol --TALK|CONT 02:57, 12 October 2011 (UTC)
- It's apparently their alternate youtube account. --HexZyle 04:33, 12 October 2011 (UTC)
- Hey, the portal frame sprites used to be blue with transparency, but now they look a completely different. Textures are subject to change. Relooking at it, it still looks like the texture, only with a shader, seeing as how the texture is grey-scale.--DarkFlame588 20:01, 12 October 2011 (UTC)
- Because he was talking about how the block in the vid didn't look like the block on the page. I was stating that the textures may have changed, like the portal frame did. --DarkFlame588 20:04, 13 October 2011 (UTC)
In the trivia its stated that..
"Its blast resistance is slightly greater than normal cobblestone. If this is true, it is the most blast-resistant block that can be destroyed by explosions."
First off.. Obsidian is stronger than cobblestone when going against an explosion. White Stone could and may be stronger cobblestone when it comes against an explosion, but it should not be compared to cobblestone as if cobblestone was the strongest block in the game.. It should be compared with obsidian.. no? -- TALK|CONT 01:38, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- "it is the most blast-resistant block that can be destroyed by explosions." in 1.8.1 cobblestone is the most resistant block which still can be destroed by explosion. — MiiNiPaaT|C 07:21, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
Actually, Cobblestone is tied with Stone Brick, Gold, Iron and Diamond Blocks, Brick, Jukebox, Moss Stone, Netherbrick, Netherbrick Fence, Slabs, and normal Stone. 22.214.171.124 14:30, 3 June 2012 (UTC)
So does End Stone drop normally when mined in 1.9pre5, or do you still need Silk Touch? Or is End Stone not collectible at all anymore?Cobalt32 23:21, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
- Pre-4: mining End stone would give you cobble. Only when mined with Silk touch would it drop End Stone.
- Pre-5: mining End stone will always give you end stone.
- --HexZyle 04:58, 29 October 2011 (UTC)
It seems luminant to me.
The End Stone has gotta emit light. I even made a little tunnel in the End and it was lit up. TorchicBlaziken 16:58, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
- There is never completly dar in The End, just like in Nether. But I look into it later — MiiNiPaaT|C 17:01, 12 November 2011 (UTC)