Sign your posts with ~~~~ and always add new posts at the very bottom after previous sections.
- 1 Image change
- 2 Old skin?
- 3 Three pieces of leather?
- 4 Proper udders
- 5 How often can you Milk a Cow?
- 6 Milking in SMP
- 7 Skin 'Glitch'
- 8 No cows spawning
- 9 How tall are baby cows?
- 10 Swamp biome
- 11 gender
- 12 Cows DO climb ladders
- 13 Cows Not Moving
- 14 Xbox 360 Edition
- 15 Rare
- 16 Spawning in Houses
- 17 Grass
- 18 Can cows respawn?
- 19 Cows generate only in grass blocks, or in other opaque blocks too?
can someone change the image? the horn seems to be broken on this one :\/--Kizzycocoa 16:06, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
- That's actually just the way they are, like the player skin's hat, they float next to the head. –ultradude25 (T|C) 03:15, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
What was the old skin like? user:tygor97
Three pieces of leather?
I've only seen 0, 1, and 2 pieces from a single cow. Is three pieces very rare or could it be a mistake? Pareidolon 22:16, 14 April 2011 (UTC)
- i have recieved 3 lots many times, i guess your just unlucky (triangle1)
- I have yet to see this happen. Confirmation (code or video) would be nice. Darkid 16:13, 27 April 2011 (UTC)
- (It's been over a year.) I don't think it ever drops 3. HotdogPi ⑬㊲ 02:55, 17 January 2013 (UTC)
Cows have always have those, that's why I removed it from this article. I can give you proof.  Isn't it also in the cows textures?
Tugut888 09:12, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
How often can you Milk a Cow?
Does a cow's milk regenerate? I never seem to be able to get multiple buckets off of one animal, no matter how long I wait. Am I just unlucky, or clicking poorly? --NinjaKitty 16:49, 13 September 2011 (UTC)
Cows give milk randomly when you click them with a bucket, however if they are in water they will always produce milk for every click of a bucket
THE ABOVE IS A MYTH (not sure about the water bit)
If you trap a cow, immobile in a pen and stand under it, by which I mean, the cow is standing above the level of your head, you will NEVER fail to milk it. There is NO random aspect, no right place to click, there is no regeneration. To clarify: Cow stands at y:70 in an enclosed space and cannot move. You stand at y:68 bucket in hand and will NEVER fail to milk it (unless you fail to actually click the cow...)
Milking in SMP
No matter how much I try, I can't seem to milk a cow in smp. I've tried standing two blocks under it and trying to milk it away from it. Nothing's working. 22.214.171.124 17:12, 10 October 2011 (UTC)
Try milking it's ear, that's the only way i have ever got milk from a cow126.96.36.199 12:46, 8 June 2012 (UTC)
Not a glitch exactly, it's more of a design error. With the default skin, the bottom of the torso is not set quite right - The udder is offset by one pixel to the cow's right, making it look lopsided in relation to the 3D udder. This has been around since the cow was introduced. It's noticeable when looking at the cow from below. 188.8.131.52 02:01, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
Someone should bring this to Mojang's attention. I like the default pack a lot, and having some easily fixable mistakes in it is... discouraging. Also, surprised that this is the first time I've seen anyone mention it. Monkeyfunk26 (talk) 18:25, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
No cows spawning
I have literally no cows at all spawning anywhere on my minecraft world, this is the same for Squid, sheep and pigs also. does anyone know why this is happening, and how I can get some to spawn? I have to use eggs just to have any chickens in my world.
As of beta 1.8 animals don't spawn anymore. Read the spawning section for more info.--
- No, as of beta 1.8, animals don't "Despawn" anymore. Therefore once the limit has been reached in your world, no more animals will spawn unless you find where they have all wandered off to and kill them. --HexZyle 03:32, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
- I totally believed that animals don't despawn anymore, until I looked at my cow pen which has only ever had one cow in it (couldn't find any others except across the ocean), and found the pen empty. There's nowhere it could have gone except despawning, and hostile mobs can't get into my fortress since there's an 8-block-high stone brick wall with an overhang surrounding the whole area and the inside is well lit everywhere. 184.108.40.206 02:34, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
Anyone else experiencing this? I haven't seen any cows on my server for weeks. I first noticed it with patch 1.4.3 and it's still the same on 1.4.5. Would be interested to find out if this is a bug. 220.127.116.11 01:55, 29 November 2012 (UTC)
I have also experienced a disturbing lack of cows on my 1.4.5 server. Starting to believe it may be a bug. 18.104.22.168 08:07, 13 December 2012 (UTC)
Same here. It's definitely a bug. Yesterday I've been flying around my world on creative for half an hour and I've encountered thousands of chickens, pigs and sheep, but no cows at all. Today I've stumbled upon a SINGLE COW, about 2k blocks from the spawn point. Never found any more cows after that. All of the other mobs seem spawning properly. 22.214.171.124 19:18, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
Can confirm this behavior on SSP v1.4.6. No cows in a ridiculous radius around my spawnpoint, but heightened numbers of sheep and pigs. 126.96.36.199 11:34, 30 December 2012 (UTC)
I have found out that if you create a farm area(with wheat, melons, pumpkins, ETC)some animals may come to it.I just found this out from my friend. i am also looking for a way to find a chicken..... cuz i need some arrows! Nirvana9832
Cows are rarer than other passive mobs. HotdogPi ⑬㊲ 02:55, 17 January 2013 (UTC)
How tall are baby cows?
I came to this article trying to find out if baby cows are less than 1 block tall (for a breeding machine I'm making), and the information isn't here. Does anyone know the dimensions of a baby cow, or how I could find out what they are? I think that information would be relevant and useful in this article. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 22:40, 28 November 2011 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- I cant find the dimensions of a baby cow, but from my experience testing with them ive found out that baby animals may share the dimensions of their parents. I cant figure out a way to separate the 2, they wont even pass ladders. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 02:35, 14 January 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
I'm not sure how long a baby cow is, but at least as of 1.6.4 (probably earlier) baby cows can fit under 1 block tall gaps. I've used this to create a breeding chamber that uses water to draw all the baby cows away to their own tiny room so they can be easily dispatched once they grow, without needing to worry about damaging my breeding crop. Sorry if this isn't signed right, but I'm not used to using wiki's at all.
Currently, swamp is the only biome I've seen cows in. Do cows spawn only/mainly in swamps? (If so: If I'd have chosen, I wouldn't have picked swamp as the "home biome" of cows. A swamp is maybe one of the least likely locations of a cow herd!) Krijac98 19:52, 17 December 2011 (UTC)
- Cows spawn almost everywhere, from deserts (rarely) to the new jungle biome. I have played in a few worlds where they only seem to spawn in swamps, however. This might be a glitch, or it might be an intentional feature that depends on the world's seed. --220.127.116.11 22:59, 27 January 2012 (UTC)
hay dosent a cow male have horn and females dont. but females make milk and males do or know odd. Scarecrow1000 18:31, 29 March 2012 (UTC)
- In real life, only females give milk (and only after they've had a calf). Some breeds have horns and some don't: I don't know of any breeds where only the male has horns, but there could be some, and in some breeds males have larger horns.
- In Minecraft, however, there are no different sexes. 18.104.22.168 20:16, 6 August 2012 (UTC)
Cows DO climb ladders
I have an underwater breeding farm on an SMP server, and to get them underwater I had to push them down a hole. When I put ladders to climb up, the cows followed. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (Talk) 05:43, 1 June 2012 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- All mobs can climb ladders, but none try to; they just do it accidentally. HotdogPi ⑬㊲ 02:55, 17 January 2013 (UTC)
Cows Not Moving
On my survival world, I found some cows as I was wandering around. These cows would not move for some reason, and I couldn't hurt them. They kept spawning in the same place and getting stuck inside of each other. There were almost 20 cows on one block. Meeples10 10:34, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
It's probably a glitch. Mobs can glitch inside of each other, causing the game to lag so badly your hit doesn't seem to do anything. This is common. ;P Phoenixx 19:19, 14 July 2013 (UTC)
wow 126.96.36.199 15:00, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
Xbox 360 Edition
I just deleted the Xbox 360 Edition section and moved the info to a sub-section in "Behavior". If you have any problems with this, just let me know and either fix it yourself, or I'll fix it. -Fred071202 188.8.131.52 17:15, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
- In my opinion, that was actually sensible. --184.108.40.206 17:55, 24 May 2013 (UTC)
cows are super rare for me. I miss little miner :( 220.127.116.11 14:59, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
Spawning in Houses
2 cows spawned in my sister's house in pocket edition . Is it because she killed off every animal? User:Kittycatz
I'm playing in sky block. I have a cow spawn egg. Do cows NEED grass. Grass is very scarce. I think sheep need grass to regrow wool, but do cows NEED grass? -18.104.22.168 17:41, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- No, unless you want them to spawn naturally, which I am not sure happens anymore. With spawn eggs, grass is not needed. Meeples10t ~ c 22:54, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
Can cows respawn?
A week ago this page said no, they only spawn with the world (when new chunks are generated). 3 days ago someone changed this to say yes, they can respawn. Anyone care to offer up any proof one way or the other? Neither point of view linked to anything so I have no way of knowing if their claims are based on evidence or rumor. At the very least the change to "yes" should've been accompanied by proof or at least an explaination of how they came to this conclusion. WildBluntHickok (talk) 03:24, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
- Refer to Spawn#Spawn cycle. Cows are fully able to respawn, provided the passive mob cap has not been reached. The version as of four days ago was inaccurate. –KnightMiner t/c 03:25, 17 April 2015 (UTC)