- 1 New item ID
- 2 Web Blocks Exist (Image Proof)
- 3 Need to upload an image
- 4 Re-done page
- 5 spelling error?
- 6 Possible Use for Webs
- 7 Webs found in adventure map
- 8 Cobwebs & Liquids
- 9 Article Rewrite
- 10 How to get Webs?
- 11 Cobwebs turn to string when moved by a piston.
- 12 Cobweb categorized as "Unused"?
- 13 Looting cobwebs
- 14 Cobwebs prevent fall damage?
- 15 Cobweb as rare item drop for spiders or obtainable through silktouch?
- 16 Unable to pass through Cobweb
- 17 Obtainable through Silk Touch Shears/Swords(Snapshot 12w49a)
- 18 Several adjustments
- 19 Traps
- 20 Unobtainable in 1.9?
- 21 MCPE when cobwebs were added
New item ID[edit source]
Web with item ID 30 added? --Poiuyt580 21:35, 19 April 2011 (UTC)
Web Blocks Exist (Image Proof)[edit source]
Web Blocks can be placed anywhere (no restrictions). They slow down the player and mobs that walk through them, much slower than Soul Sand; similar to flowing water of Beta 1.4. I obtained them using InvEdit, ID 30.
I do not know if this block is obtainable in-game yet, or if it will ever be.
Peace, Legend 01:33, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
Ignore my above message, somebody beat me to the punch and made the article. :) Legend 01:37, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
Need to upload an image[edit source]
I have taken the web graphic from the texture file and resized it to 150x150 using nearest neighbour resampling, which seems to be the best option. However as I "do not have permission to create pages" I cannot upload it. Could someone with the correct permissions please upload something for the web item, so that others like myself can modify that image?
Cheers, leiger 02:37, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- You mean like File:WebBlock.png? --GreyMario 02:48, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Found a list of files and did a Ctrl+F search for "web" but that wasn't in the list at the time. But I'm used to other wiki software - not wikimedia - so I was most likely looking in the wrong place :) My image looks pretty much identical to yours, so it's no use me adding mine then. Thanks! --leiger 03:17, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
Re-done page[edit source]
I've re-done the page to match the Minecraft Wiki's standards, removing some already mentioned "trivia". I was going to remove the link, but I'm not sure; the forum page has videos, but the wiki page has just the sprite. Shall I add images/info and/or remove link? --Tehninjah 07:41, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
spelling error?[edit source]
what is "akin to jumping in a 2 block high space" supposed to say or mean Crackhead92 18:32, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
"Akin" means "similar to" (think "a kin" or "familially related to") so all together it means that it's similar to jumping in a space that is only 2 blocks high. You would immediately hit the ceiling when you try to jump. DocHolliday 13:54, 23 April 2011 (UTC)
Possible Use for Webs[edit source]
Maybe webs will be hard to obtain, maybe deep underground in a nest with maybe 5 spiders, and can be distilled down to 3 strings, used for making Fishing Poles and Bows. RabidCreeper 01:54, 22 April 2011 (UTC)
I would advocate for the reverse, webs should be useful themselves other than just crafting strings. One easy way to come up with uses are to look at notes people have written: "Note that webs do not prevent falldamage like water does" means someone somewhere expected webs (which slow you down considerably) to stop falldamage. It'd be nice to have a single block that could aide against falldamage, although I'd like it if it decellerated the player and didn't just set a max speed. --xerxesbeat 14:58, 27 April 2011 (UTC)
Webs found in adventure map[edit source]
Cobwebs & Liquids[edit source]
I experimented with Webs and found out this:
- Web does not burn when its touched by lava
- Web stops Water and Lava
- You can build a Drowning-Trap with it ;)
Pictures here: screenshots @ imgur
In the latest update, water is NOT stopped by cobwebs. Pouring a bucket of water on top of a cobweb turns it into string. I don't know if stagnant water has an effect but pouring water on to them now turns them into string. --HelenAngel 17:35, 13 September 2011 (UTC)
Article Rewrite[edit source]
It's a bad sign if an article has a trivia section longer than the entire rest of the body, it's even worse if much of that trivia section doesn't make any sense. I would suggest that much of the trivia regarding the effects of webs be written into such a section; also, things like "Webs seem to not be able to make the terrain biome recognizable, confirmed on SMP, while riding a minecart falling into a web with water below." should either be clarified an confirmed, or removed. I may do the re-write if I have the time, but I would be interested in some feedback first. Elfo222 13:27, 22 May 2011 (UTC)
How to get Webs?[edit source]
I'm not real sure how to get webs, I would like to use some but how do I get them, please help me!
- /Give command or Toomanyitems-like mod.--Neil2250 16:00, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- /Use a Silk Touch enchantment on an anvil with the shears and you can pick up the cobweb
--184.108.40.206 21:22, 10 August 2013 (UTC)
Cobwebs turn to string when moved by a piston.[edit source]
I was making a nice base when i thought moving cobwebs would look cool. They broke into lots of string. Thats really it.
Cobweb categorized as "Unused"?[edit source]
Why is the cobweb in the "Unused" category on the blocks table? It is currently in-game, and as such should not fall under this category, right? Darkdoom227 03:44, 5 August 2011 (UTC)
- It's in the game, but can't be acquired through any legitimate means, making it unused. Things that aren't fully implemented or were removed are categorized under planned or unused respectively. Once a way to acquire it without using inventory editors or mods is introduced, it'll be changed. Linebarrel 03:52, 5 August 2011 (UTC)
Looting cobwebs[edit source]
I looted 2 cobwebs, i dont know if its from killing blue spiders or by destroying existing cobwebs. But in 1.8 they can be looted and placed. Must be a low drop rate. –The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (Talk|Contribs) 00:57, 01 Oct 2011 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- You probably had shears. They don't drop naturally from destroying them or killing the spiders. --Wizjany 00:59, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
Ahhh, possible...i noticed the 2 cobwebs in my inventory after exploring an abandoned mine. I had no clue how i got them. Gonna try to use shears next time i visit a mine. Thanks.
Cobwebs prevent fall damage?[edit source]
I just tested this, and it appeared that cobwebs do in fact prevent fall damage.
Not sure when this was changed, or if it was just a glitch or something, so if someone else could confirm this, that would be great.
I tested again, and they do indeed prevent fall damage. Someone fix the wiki page! --
Are you sure you jumped from a high place? SrDonaldo 19:48, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
- As of Minecraft 1.1.0, cobwebs do NOT prevent falling damage. However, as of 12w06a, cobwebs DO prevent falling damage (fifth bullet point from the top). Choolio123 14:45, 13 February 2012 (UTC)
Cobweb as rare item drop for spiders or obtainable through silktouch?[edit source]
How else things that I would be useful to be able to obtain cobweb legit in survival? My two suggestions would be that spiders could have it as a rare item drop, or let it be mine-able with a silk touch tool.
Unable to pass through Cobweb[edit source]
I made custom adventure map on Creative MultIplay with my friend. After that, me and my other 3 friend tested map, after converting into Adventure Singleplay. And I found out that when you go through Cobweb, in some cases, you teleported back. Like,
<------- (Direction) C P A C P
A = Destination C = Cobweb P = Player
If you try to go to A by going through C, which is Cobweb, you teleport back to P, the place you were before you enter Cobweb.
One of my friend also encountered problem during the test, however, other 2 have not encountered problem. We initially thought problem is game lag, but it appear to be not a lag. Even further, this doesn't happens with ALL Cobweb... So... what do you guys think? What would causing it? Kevin J Rattman 19:43, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
Obtainable through Silk Touch Shears/Swords(Snapshot 12w49a)[edit source]
In the new Snapshot you can enchant every item because of the new enchanted books. As the title suggests you can now get Cobweb legitimately by enchanting shears or a sword with Silk Touch. To be able to enchant this items with Silk Touch is probably a bug so I wanted to ask if one should add this possibility of acquiring Cobweb on the wiki or not.. Bomwald 21:04, 7 December 2012 (UTC)
- While it is a bug that certain items can be enchanted with unintended enchantments, I think Mojang said that anything with a durability (e.g. shears) can be enchanted with unbreaking. This hints that other enchantments may also apply to them. Can we check to see if it's only swords and shears with this enchantment that can do it? What about a pickaxe? This seems like a new feature of the Silk Touch enchantment. --Kahless61 21:56, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
Several adjustments[edit source]
What is this line: "No kind of mechanism (excluding Dispensers, Note Blocks,and Droppers) can be placed on top of cobwebs." supposed to mean? What do you define as a "mechanism"?
Also, Dispenser should be replaced with "Dropper" in the Redstone section, as it does the same thing, is cheaper and works with all items. 18.104.22.168 22:55, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you dig out a 1x1x1 hole (or any size hole, for that matter), and a mob falls into it, it will never be able to get up. This is good for traps. Of course, you need silk-touch shears, so it's not the best use, but...
Unobtainable in 1.9?[edit source]
- Unobtainable in survival without cheats, in this version, yes – though on MC-93001, titled "Unable to obtain cobwebs", Jeb replies "Shears will make cobweb drop cobweb". – Sealbudsman talk/contr 20:19, 19 November 2015 (UTC)
MCPE when cobwebs were added[edit source]
In 0.4.0, if you tried to obtain them, nothing would happen. However, in 0.5.0 you could obtain them. Could someone please verify this for me?--22.214.171.124 03:30, 15 April 2017 (UTC)