- 1 Fixed a bunch
- 2 Eggs for all animals.
- 3 Breeding snow golems
- 4 Wolfs dont seem to breed correctly
- 5 Already easily exploitable...
- 6 Chickens in fences
- 7 babies
- 8 Growing
- 9 Missed 1.9pre4?
- 10 Black baby sheep in 1.9 pre 6!
- 11 Colored Sheep Breeding
- 12 Following child and feeding
- 13 Conflict in article.
- 14 They don't just follow their baby, they *really* follow their baby.
- 15 Hostile mob breeding
- 16 Despawn
- 17 Sheep dropping food resources?
- 18 breeding underground
- 19 Fixed two YouTube links
- 20 Snow golems
- 21 Baby's Height?
- 22 Wrong number estimates
- 23 Compressed farms broken?
- 24 Bugs section as of 6 Nov 2012
- 25 Confusing trivia item
- 26 No more enclosures since 1.5.
- 27 Hearts
- 28 Cats & Kittens
- 29 Pocket edition
- 30 Chicken feed
- 31 Image consistency
Fixed a bunch
Fixed a bunch, removed sub note, will be making automated animal farms and mass breeding their own page if any new methods are thought up. Would appreciate additional (helpful) references in that area! (TheCakeisAlive 05:07, 10 October 2011 (UTC))
- Cake! Since I am terrible at adding links, could you add a link to AutomatorMC's pig farm? It reminds me of your pig breeder, sacrificing efficiency for speed and ease. Also, that stair thing you used in your mob compressor no longer works... The game chooses a random mother that the baby will spawn inside of. Yours relied on the 1.0 system where the baby spawned in between the two. See ya! Djc1999 04:25, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
Eggs for all animals.
It doesn't really make much sense having eggs for cows or pigs, maybe calf, (Yum!) piglet, lambs for them instead. Timberdoodle 11:08, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- It's Minecraft. Cubic world and punching trees doesn't make sense in first place. Im fine with the eggs. — MiiNiPaaT|C 11:50, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- You know what else doesn't make sense? The fact that all chickens and cows are female. --Trollrilla 04:06, 30 September 2011 (UTC)
- Discussion is for improving the page, not stating opinions. Harishimomo 04:43, 24 December 2011 (UTC)
Breeding snow golems
I set up a test server with a friend, and I spammed a bunch of snow golems in creative. I then proceeded to use wheat on them, and I was surprised that it worked. This will probably be fixed after the prereleases but I'm sure it works as of now. Codyfun123 00:12, 30 September 2011 (UTC)
- Nevermind, they don't breed, but it still displays the effect (which goes away after a while), which I expect to be fixed. Codyfun123 00:16, 30 September 2011 (UTC)
Wolfs dont seem to breed correctly
When I found a pack of wolves I fed them wheat and they entered love mode. But they displayed no interest in each other and when they were tamed they refused to enter love mode at all. I believe thats a bug The wolves also refused to follow me while holding wheat –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (Talk) 23:40, 30 September 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
It does, you must first fill his hunger bar with steak then give him an extra steak, they don't like wheat, you must tame him with bones.
Already easily exploitable...
You can easily farm experience orbs (as of pre-release 2) by simply growing wheat to continually grow more mobs to kill; netting you a very nifty amount of experience orbs in a short amount of time...Whether this is going to be final as of the 1.9 official release may be unknown, but it will certainly be a very easy way to gain levels once the experience meter is implemented, as well as meats and hides, if you so please. - K12machinima, 12:19, 10-1-2011
- Very probably (I sound silly :D) that will be fixed by checking something like this:
- ExperienceOrb="death" true
- ExperienceOrb="death" false
- (that is the only code type I know)
- Jedi in, um, I forgot. 11:19, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
Chickens in fences
I've noticed that most animals stop following you if you change the item in your hand from wheat to something else. The chicken will follow you if you get close to it with wheat, but will follow you regardless of the block in your hand once it's started following you. This is fixed by getting out of range of the chicken, then approaching it with a block other than wheat in your hand. Edit: Actually, I've noticed that this only occurs whenever the chickens are in a fence, and you're standing outside of the fence. Cacti11 21:06, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
- This could relate to the "in-a-block" bug that also occurs with any block that has transparent parts, such as doors, pressure plates, buttons, stairs, and slabs Cool12309(T|C) 22:18, 3 October 2011 (UTC)
can someone add a baby category to the page? --A Big Mojang Lover 20:39, 4 October 2011 (UTC)
- Why wouldn't you do it? Jedi in, um, I forgot. 11:21, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
Babies grow to adults just overtime or they need some conditions: for example grass and light? Also I'd like to know if they have separate entity id. Xeoxer 18:50, 8 October 2011 (UTC)
- They do not require grass or light, Idk about the entity id. Someone should find out how long it takes for baby animals to grow up. Harishimomo 04:36, 24 December 2011
In the top of the article, it says that breeding is only possible in pre-releases 2 and 3, although 1.9pre4 has been out for a while. Has it been removed, or just missed from this article? 126.96.36.199 15:17, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
- I re-worded it to make more sense. (though its my ip, not my username.) -- Robodoggy 01:58, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
Black baby sheep in 1.9 pre 6!
This is on a vanilla server. A black baby sheep spawned. This is my first Wiki edit, but i'm a hardcore breeder in Minecraft!
Pic: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/m8uds/black_sheep_baby_in_minecraft_19pre6/ –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Zycro (Talk|Contribs) 17:14, 11 November 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Colored Sheep Breeding
I've learned that if that you dye sheep, the corresponding baby sheep will be that color. I also proved with testing that if the two parent sheep are different colors, whether dyed or natural, the baby sheep will be born as either of those colors. I'm not very savvy on editing the wiki, so it would be good if someone else could prove this as well and edit the wiki accordingly.
21:54, 11 November 2011 (UTC) Todo_Diaz
- This seems really interesting. I feel that we need to do a lot more research into this, and put our results on the breeding page in a separate section. Maybe its just me, but I think sheep breeding based on wool colors and dominance is important enough to mention. Bluesly 06:44, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
- I did a fairly large scale test in single player and found no difference in the ratio of colors that were produced. I started with 1 sheep of each color and bred through a few generations. In the end I ended up with proportions that would be suspected. --Globster8 15:16, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
Will the colors of the sheep ever "mix", if the mix is a valid wool color? In other words, can you get a secondary color lamb if its parents are primary colors (ie: gray from a black and a white)? Tertiary from secondary? If not I can just dye some secondary/tertiary colors (I doubt I'm the only person who wants an extensive farm of sheep, separating each color possible). NightChime 21:00, 23 January 2012 (UTC)
- A baby sheep will always be the same color as one of its parents, chosen at random. -- Orthotope 06:33, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
- This is no longer correct; a baby sheep will always be a mixture of the parents' colours wherever possible (eg. one blue and one white parent will produce a light blue offspring); where a mixture is not possible (eg. red and black) the offspring will adopt the colour of one parent. -- Binidj 188.8.131.52 15:11, 5 March 2014 (UTC)
Following child and feeding
- "They may only breed [...] as long they are not following their offspring."
Is it true? I can feed animals even when they're following another, only had to wait 5-minute-colldown. Tested on SSP and SMP (1.0.0), without exiting and re-entering world. Could someone confirm that? --mgr 11:11, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
- It seems that the function to regrow wool is not working atm. 184.108.40.206 04:37, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
Conflict in article.
This article begins by claiming breeding was added in 1.9 pre 3, however the history claims it was added in 1.9 pre 2.
Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but if not it's definitely a contradiction.
--Mystara 21:15, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
They don't just follow their baby, they *really* follow their baby.
There should probably be a mention of how parents can teleport in order to follow their baby. Surprised the heck out of me! 220.127.116.11 10:51, 6 December 2011 (UTC)
Hostile mob breeding
- It doesn't happen and wouldn't work anyway because hostile mobs spawn regularly and despawn if left alone long enough. Passive mobs don't do that, hence the need to breed them. Cobalt32 04:30, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
- This talk page is for discussing improvements to the wiki article, not improvements to Minecraft. —KPReid 13:48, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
Do animals that have been bred despawn, as I'm currently expanding out from my main base, and I don't want to come back to all of my pens being empty. 18.104.22.168 01:05, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
- animals on my server have never despawned once bred, so I'm pretty sure they dont - Harishimomo 04:39, 24 December 2011
Sheep dropping food resources?
"... and although it is possible to shear baby sheep, only adult sheep will drop food resources."
Is this a typo of some sort? I'd love some mutton, but I don't think it's in the game yet. Granted, it's been a while since I killed a sheep... 22.214.171.124 15:54, 22 December 2011 (UTC)
- Fixed, good catch. Tell me if my fix is awkwardly worded! -Harishimomo 04:42, 24 December 2011 (UTC)
for some reason i cant breed underground is tht just a game mechanic or what. they will take my wheat but no heart appears and no baby is made and ideas –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (Talk) 05:34, 25 January 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
- That's really not something you need to add to the talk page, using the edit summary field is the proper place to let us know what you're doing. --188.8.131.52 22:18, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
Snow golems can breed. why does it have no mention in this article? Maxwell the scribblenaut 02:16, 12 May 2012 (UTC)
- It's in the trivia - this was fixed after the Beta 1.9 prereleases. -- Orthotope 06:33, 8 July 2012 (UTC)
- At the bottom of the seciont 'Automated animal farms and mass breeding' there's a line that says you can breed snow golems but not iron golems. Has this changed or is someone mistaken? --184.108.40.206 09:52, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
Does anyone know what the height of a baby pig is? I have a design that works for the other animals, but I'm not sure if it will work for pigs. Does anyone know the exact height? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by Badboy80 (Talk|Contribs) 22:11, 9 June 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
Wrong number estimates
After revising the calculations for obtaining the number of animals and offsprings in the section "Automated animal farms and mass breeding" , I have come to the realisation that they are incorrect.
The number of 56 adults and 28 offsprings after an hour and 2349 adults and 1174 offsprings after two hours are based on a 10 minutes growth time for the offsprings instead of the actual 20 minutes. The proper numbers after correcting for 20 minutes give 17 adults and 24 offsprings after an hour and 247 adults and 361 offsprings after two hours which is closer to what is observed in the game instead of the previously truly huge numbers. I will make the proper changes if nobody minds.
--Zeus00 18:06, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
Compressed farms broken?
In 1.3, compressed farms were pretty much broken by suffocation and crowding-induced glitching through the fence. Have these been fixed in 1.4, or should that paragraph be clipped? --Mental Mouse 13:36, 26 October 2012 (UTC)
Bugs section as of 6 Nov 2012
It states that animals are not able to breed in Minecraft 1.4.2 due to a bug. Verification is required, for I am able to breed animals in Minecraft 1.4.2. 220.127.116.11 14:37, 6 November 2012 (UTC)
I'm experiencing this. Sheep and cows are taking wheat and breeding, however pigs and chickens don't--they also don't follow me when holding wheat. Couldn't tell you when it started, just that I discovered on 1.4.4 --8dave 17:05, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
- That's because pigs now are led by and bred with carrots, and the same goes for chickens (they require seeds now). --timrem 17:07, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
- That was fast. Yeah, I just realised and came back to take it back. Eejit. :( --8dave 17:10, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
Confusing trivia item
What does this mean? "Using the spawn egg of a mob which has baby variants on that mob will spawn the baby variant." It sounds like if you use, say, an Ocelot spawn egg, you spawn kittens. This is not the case; you spawn an adult, and there is a 14% chance of spawning an adult WITH a kitten. Am I misunderstanding here? -18.104.22.168 12:23, 27 January 2013 (UTC)
- It's badly worded. Basically, baby mobs can be spawned by right-clicking any applicable mob with its corresponding mob egg. — Hower64 14:42, 27 January 2013 (UTC)
No more enclosures since 1.5.
I vote for a section explaining that since 1.5 fences have been made useless and for the devs' absolute lack of action towards restoring its a normal attribute, now it is the standard behavior to let mobs phase through it like ghosts. (If you are not aware check MC-2025 on the bug forums).
This has a huge impact on animal farming and makes most of this article useless since you can't keep mobs in a pen.
Anyone opposes to an explanatory note on the article?
Ziguirayou --22.214.171.124 21:20, 28 May 2013 (UTC)
Normally when one is breeding mobs, hearts appear over it correct? Well no matter what mob I try or which gamemode I'm in, the hearts do not seem to appear. The mobs still produce offspring so I can still breed. I was just wondering if anyone knew what might be wrong and how I might be able to fix this. Thanks! Mcpantsonfire 17:23, 5 July 2013 (UTC)
- They don't appear if you have the Particles setting turned down. -- Orthotope talk 19:55, 5 July 2013 (UTC)
- Thank-you! It definitely does add to the Minecraft experience. Mcpantsonfire 22:44, 5 July 2013 (UTC)
Cats & Kittens
This is really weird. So each time I breed two cats (my preferred type standing and the non-preferred sitting), the kitten is spawned under one of the cats, then immediately begins to suffocate. With each kitten, I have to push the adult aside to save them. What's wrong with it?--LovedDragons 21:20, 12 July 2013 (UTC)
126.96.36.199 01:45, 14 April 2014 (UTC) How do you breed animals in pocket edition? I try to feed them the food, but it just punches them. You press and hold, not tap.188.8.131.52 19:37, 2 April 2019 (UTC)
There seems to be a contradiction on the page about whether chickens breed with pumpkin or melon seeds. The chart says yes, but the version chart says this went away in 1.8-pre1. So which is it? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by ChapnCrunch (talk • contribs) at 8:04, 28 January 2016 (UTC). Please sign your posts with ~~~~
I noticed that some of the images are also links to the page about the anaimal/monster, and some of the images are screenshots rather than renders. We need a agreement on the format for he image and caption, then we can fix the captions (probably with a bot) and reupload the images. 02:59, 1 June 2016 (UTC)