- 1 Sound
- 2 Disabling
- 3 Randomly heard ambience
- 4 Nether?
- 5 Cloud level
- 6 Mysterious cave noise?
- 7 Disable ambience
- 8 Grammar fix, please?
- 9 Sound files get server 404 message as of 2012-09-21
- 10 Many at once?
- 11 Radio transmissions?
- 12 How scary can it be?
- 13 Trivia Contradicts Itself
- 14 Rename
- 15 Revert
- 16 cave17.ogg and cave18.ogg184.108.40.206 22:55, 14 June 2017 (UTC)
- 17 cave19.ogg
- 18 Description
- 19 Adding Underwater Ambience Mp3 records
- 20 Sound heard across realm
What does the ambience sound like? Anyone have a file? If so, please upload. --Danny Ufonek 20:46, 19 December 2010 (UTC)
- We can't upload sound files, but if enough people request it, maybe we could. MoonBeans 16:35, 3 January 2011 (UTC)
- If you didn't already notice, at the bottom of the page is a link to an ambient sound player web page, where you can listen to these sounds. --TheKax 11:12, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
- Go into your resources file in your minecraft folder and then go to newsound, click on ambient then cave. Hope that helps! 11:12, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
Is it possible to make the ambience sound lower?? --Lank 09:02, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- The cave ambience this article refers to can be found at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\resources\newsound\ambient\cave (Windows Vista+, on XP replace "Users" with "Documents and Settings") --Gnu32 09:42, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks --Lank 10:54, 30 January 2011 (UTC)
I'm having the same problem. every time i try to get rid of them they just redownload and if i get rid of them while playing my client crashes every few minutes. is there any way to make them unplayable or something?Ecreme 18:22, 13 March 2011 (UTC)
- I think if you make the files read-only, Minecraft will be unable to replace them. Not certain though. Alphap 15:05, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
I've set them as read only but it still plays. when i checked the read only box was still checked but its playing. how do i get rid of it??Ecreme 01:00, 6 May 2011 (UTC)
- Replace them with empty sounds and then read-only them. Read-only does not prevent minecraft from playing them, only re-downloading them (use of common sense is allowed)! 16:15, 11 August 2011 (UTC)
I still hear them even though i changed empty files to read only and got rid of 2 copies so far (newsound and sound three) --220.127.116.11 16:07, 21 April 2014 (UTC)
Randomly heard ambience
This happen a lot, it's day, you wander around, and then some kind of demoniac sound plays out of nowhere, that generally scare the !@#$ out of me
After exploring a bit i generally find a cave entrance
I added it, if this happen to you to wander around and hear randomly cave ambience, you are on a cave, search around a bit and you will find an entrance (generally, when you can hear it at surface, the cave extends to the surface)
--Dylanstrategie 10:19, 20 February 2011 (UTC)
Can Ambience be heard in the Nether? I haven't heard any whilst exploring it, so is it completely disabled there, it doesn't even have a chance to appear there due to the Nether having different lighting, not so common caves, or is it because of a completely different reason? --Danny Ufonek 19:50, 2 April 2011 (UTC)
Ambiance exists, but is rare. Calinou 19:58, 2 April 2011 (UTC)
I've heard Ambiance twice in the nether. - Teh_Bucket –The preceding undated comment was added on 04:45, 27 November 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
I have heard ambience near Nether Fortresses and when I spawn in the Nether, but thats probably a bug. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 18.104.22.168 (Talk) 19:39, 13 June 2012. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
I thought that since 1.8, just under cloud level is the highest level you can place a block. I was just wondering if the article at the front should be changed. –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (Talk) 00:31, 21 October 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
No, I play 1.8, and I built far above cloud level. In other words, they didn't change it.
Mysterious cave noise?
I walked around today in a cave, and i heard a sound that i didn't recognize. It was a loud, "slapping" sound, like a paper that is blowing around. Do you guys know if C148 have did any new sound? –Preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (Talk) 08:41, 7 December 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~
That is probably a slime. They are relatively rare, as they spawn only at the lowest depths and only in certain chunks. —KPReid 16:00, 7 December 2011 (UTC)
True, it a Slime sound, unless your on Peaceful. But its also the new Lava sound. Could mean that lava is nearby 188.8.131.52 19:44, 13 June 2012 (UTC)marytiger
Is it possible to disable ambience BUT NOT sound Dager4 22:03, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
Try overwriting the sounds with a blank sound file, Remember to mark them as "Read Only". --Mathew9R 13:26, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
Grammar fix, please?
Can someone please fix this garbled sentence? I would do it, but i have no idea what it is supposed to mean.
Ambient sounds require that a space only at least 1x1x1, entirely less than light level eight (with lower light levels being more likely to play the sound), and with no lighting contribution from the sky, be positioned ten to twenty blocks away from the player in any direction.
184.108.40.206 00:07, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
- It wasn't really hard to figure out, but it could use some copyediting. I think it means: For ambient sound to play, the game requires a space of at least 1x1x1 blocks positioned 10 - 20 blocks away from the player in any direction, and completely filled with a light level less than eight (the ambience will more likely play from the direction of lower levels because of a lower light level). Maybe someone else can do a better job? - Asterick6 00:51, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
- I think the person was trying to say that it only needs a space of 1x1x1, or that it requires a space of 1x1x1. The two have slightly different connotations, but it's not very important. - Asterick6 00:53, 5 March 2012 (UTC)
There is an error in the description of the third sound; A quiet, low pitched rumble,sounding somewhat like and organ. The 'and' is supposed to be 'an'.--220.127.116.11 03:02, 29 November 2015 (UTC)
Sound files get server 404 message as of 2012-09-21
Removed, or moved where???? 18.104.22.168 06:51, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
Many at once?
I heard some very weird demonic noises, worse than any of the ones in the cave folder. They lasted for a while and sounded like the gates of hell opened and 100 zombies escaped.
All I can think of is that multiple ambient sounds played at once, since I have a large dark cleared underground area below my village.
22.214.171.124 00:42, 27 October 2012 (UTC)
The article says that radio transmission like sounds can be heard instead of the airplane sound. I have never heard them and there is no sample on the wiki. Was this in the 1.5 update or a snapshot? Can someone please provide a sample? Cybercat5555 01:06, 20 March 2013 (UTC)
How scary can it be?
I was near a small cave, and then... WHAT A NOISE! I quitted and deleted the world as quickly as I can! That's one reason why I don't now explore caves. --Aleksi2000 (talk) 18:10, 26 November 2013 (UTC)
Lol what a wimp. Ambience just tells you where caves are mang. It's totally awesomes for findin caves while diggin shaftz. 126.96.36.199 11:44, 21 December 2013 (UTC)
Hey, don't judge! Those sounds can be hella scary when you're not expecting them, most of the time when I hear one I can't help but freak out and switch to Peaceful. I know that it's just ambience, but it's sounds so much like something in a horror movie it's not something you can prevent. --Tawnyflower
Please everybody, this is supposed to be a section about how scary it can be not a section about other players fears of ambience. --188.8.131.52 03:07, 29 November 2015 (UTC)
Trivia Contradicts Itself
sorry, i added that but you can erase it (i have no account). but also ambience IS disablable in 1.7! go to options>sound then you can use the "ambient/environment" slider to set the volume (or disable). 184.108.40.206 01:16, 3 January 2014 (UTC) Yay ambiant is finally gone i gave up mc untill i could delete it now i can get back to my life in minecraft!!!--220.127.116.11 16:17, 21 April 2014 (UTC)
The Audio settings in the Xbox 360 Edition refer to the ambience as "Cave Sounds," so this article should be moved to the official title.
18.104.22.168 23:27, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
- "Ambience" is the official name in the Computer Edition, which the Console Editions are based upon. I redirected the page cave sounds to this, as well as added your information to the main page. - Illidicia (t+c) 23:37, 5 July 2015 (UTC)
This version of the page seems much better in some part. I suggest a revert: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/index.php?title=Ambience&oldid=912766 --LightningSh0ck (talk) 17:25, 1 January 2016 (UTC)
- No one is going to revert simply because you said the old version is "better", explain what is better. The version you are linking has unneeded trivia, is less organized, and contains a bunch of disagreeing fan made descriptions. –KnightMiner t/c 01:10, 2 January 2016 (UTC)
cave17.ogg and cave18.ogg22.214.171.124 22:55, 14 June 2017 (UTC)
As of 1.12, 2 new ambiences were added, cave17.ogg and cave18.ogg126.96.36.199 22:55, 14 June 2017 (UTC)
- If you want to upload them, you can create an account. 01:48, 15 June 2017 (UTC)
When I was making a resource pack that silences the 18 cave sounds, I was surprised when I heard a never-heard-before cave sound when I was testing the Resource pack to see if all of them was silenced (By repeatedly using the /playsound command). It was the new cave19.ogg 188.8.131.52 23:56, 31 May 2018 (UTC)
- I found a cave19.ogg and uploaded it to the article, though I'm not sure which snapshot it was added in. -Sonicwave talk 00:11, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
I think that it's worth adding descriptions to the Ambient noises, after all, music discs still have descriptions. I know that we had descriptions a few years ago and those were super overdramatic, but I think giving a simple neutral descriptions won't hurt or lead to any flamewars over their meaning (i.e. just give "echoing violin screech" for #10 rather than compare it with a Ghast screaming). 184.108.40.206 01:03, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
Adding Underwater Ambience Mp3 records
Sound heard across realm
Me and my 4 other friends that were on the realm at the time heard a very strange sound that was similar to Cave Sound 17, but without that high pitched shrill or screech at the end. Does anybody know what this could have been and how all of us heard it at the same time? I know ambience is client side too. Nobody was fighting any bosses or anything either during the specific moment. --Speeder2k (talk) 19:36, 2 September 2019 (UTC)