The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
|This article is a stub, meaning that it lacks some important content.|
You can help by expanding it with further information relating to the topic.
- Closing a trapdoor on the player
- Using a piston to push a block into the player
- Exiting swimming mode in a one-block-high space
- Exiting elytra mode in a one-block-high space
- Having a tree grow over a player
- Having a shulker box push you down
- Getting off a pig with a saddle if it's under a one-block-high space
- Having a boat land on your head. Honey blocks make this easier to replicate
- In Bedrock Edition it is only possible to enter suffocation prevention by exiting swimming mode in a one-block-high space
In these circumstances, the player automatically switches to a suffocation prevention state. When enough space opens up above the player's head, the player automatically exits this state and begins standing again. When in suffocation prevention, the player travels slower than normal. The sneaking state gives the player identical dimensions to standing. In the crawling form, the player is reduced to 0.625 blocks tall, or 5⁄8 of a block, meaning that they can crawl over blocks 0.375 blocks tall, or 3⁄8 blocks tall, the height of a daylight sensor.
|1.9||15w41a||With the advent of elytra, a position similar to crawling becomes possible. The animation is glitched.|
|1.13||18w07a||Actual swimming is added, which allows the player to access this position easier. The animation is still glitched.|
|?||Fixed the animation under opaque solid blocks. The player still visually stands up underneath transparent blocks, though.|
|18w22a||Fixed the animation under transparent blocks.|
|pre5||The animation is broken again.|
|pre6||Fixed the animation again.|
|1.13.1||18w30a||The animation is broken.|
|1.14||19w14a||Crawling is now fixed.|
|The player now automatically enters crawling mode when they intersect a block.|
|19w14b||Only the top half of the player is checked for collision to enter crawling, rather than the whole body.|
|Pre-Release 4||Crawling speed has been reduced.|
|It is no longer possible to sprint while crawling.|
- In Bedrock Edition, if a player enters a 2-block-high area of water and swims into a 1-block gap then leaves the water, the player does not suffocate but still continues to swim on land, which is similar to crawling in Java Edition.
- Crawling was known simply as suffocation prevention as the technical behavior implied that before the crawling name were official.
- ""I'm sorry Steve. It's for science!"" – @henrikkniberg, April 2, 2019
- marked "Works as Intended"