|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
Suffocation prevention covers both sneaking, triggered when the player is in an area less than 1.8 blocks high and more than 1.5 blocks high, and a second pose, commonly referred to as crawling, which occurs when the player is in an area less than 1.5 blocks high.
Entering suffocation prevention
Suffocation prevention can be initiated in any way that causes the player's head to intersect a collidable block in such a way that the area underneath the block is less than 1.8 blocks. For example:
- Closing a trapdoor on the player
- Using a piston to push a block into the player's head
- Using an ender pearl to teleport into a sufficiently small gap
- Exiting swimming mode in a one-block-high space
- Exiting elytra mode in a one-block-high space
- Having a tree grow over a player
- Having a shulker box push you down
- Getting off a pig with a saddle if it's under a one-block-high space
In these circumstances, the player will automatically switch to a suffocation prevention state. When enough space opens up above the player's head, the player will automatically exit this state and begin standing again. When in suffocation prevention, the player travels slower than normal. The sneaking state gives the player identical dimensions to standing. In the crawling form, the player is reduced to 0.625 blocks tall, or 5/8 of a block, meaning that they can crawl over blocks 0.375 blocks tall, or 3/8 blocks tall, the height of a daylight sensor or 4 layers of snow.
|1.9||?||With the advent of elytra, a position similar to suffocation prevention becomes possible. The animation is glitched.|
|1.13||?||Actual swimming is added, which allows the player to access this position easier. The animation is still glitched.|
|?||Fixed the animation under opaque solid blocks. The player still visually stands up underneath transparent blocks, though.|
|18w22a||Fixed the animation under transparent blocks.|
|pre5||The animation is broken again.|
|pre6||Fixed the animation again.|
|1.13.1||18w30a||The animation is broken.|
|1.14||19w14a||Suffocation prevention is now fixed.|
|The player now automatically enters suffocation prevention mode when they intersect a block.|
|19w14b||Only the top half of the player is checked for collision to enter suffocation prevention, rather than the whole body.|
|Pre-Release 4||Suffocation prevention speed has now been reduced.|
|It is now no longer possible to sprint while in suffocation prevention.|
- In Bedrock Edition, if a player swims through a one block gap and leaves the water, the player will not suffocate but still continue to swim on land, which is similar to suffocation prevention in Java Edition.
- marked "Works as Intended"