See Data values
|This page would benefit from the addition of an image.|
Please remove this notice once you've added a suitable image to the article. The specific instructions are: A 3D render of placed tripwire
Tripwire can be mined instantly with any tool, dropping string.
Tripwire will also be removed and drop string as an item:
Tripwire will be destroyed without dropping string if lava flows into its space.
|String||Cobweb||[Bedrock and Legacy Console editions only]|
Five pieces of tripwire generate naturally in every jungle temple. String can be found in 57.8% of dungeon chests, 59.0% of desert temple chests, and 57.8% of woodland mansion chests, all in stacks of 1–8. In 1.14[upcoming] they can be found in 39.1% of pillager outpost chests in stacks of 1–6.
Iron Ingot +
|Fishing Rod||Stick +
Tripwire can be used to detect entities as part of a tripwire circuit.
- To place tripwire, use string while pointing at a surface facing the space the tripwire should occupy.
- In order to activate tripwire hooks, tripwire must be part of a "tripwire circuit": a straight line of blocks consisting of a block with a tripwire hook attached to it, a "tripwire line" (1 to 40 blocks of tripwire), and a second tripwire hook attached to another block.
- A tripwire activates if almost any entity (players, mobs, minecarts, boats, items, arrows, etc.) intersects its collision mask. The tripwire remains active until there are no entities intersecting its collision mask. Thrown potions, some arrows, thrown ender pearls, and thrown eyes of ender will not activate tripwire.
- An active tripwire updates adjacent blocks (for example, it can activate a BUD circuit). Additionally, active tripwires that are part of valid tripwire circuits will cause the attached tripwire hooks to activate (producing redstone power). Active tripwires do not themselves produce redstone power.
- When tripwire is broken (including by being washed away by spreading water) after being part of a valid tripwire circuit, it will activate the attached tripwire hooks for 5 redstone ticks (10 game ticks, or 0.5 seconds barring lag). It will not produce the signal if it is broken using shears.
|Name||Name ID||Item form||Numeric ID[BE only]|
In Bedrock Edition, tripwire uses the following data values:
|0x1||Set if tripwire is activated (an entity is intersecting its collision mask).|
|0x4||Set if tripwire is attached to a valid tripwire circuit.|
|0x8||Set if tripwire is disarmed.|
|attached||True if the tripwire is connected to a valid tripwire circuit.|
|disarmed||True if the tripwire is disarmed, that is, broken using shears.|
|east||True if the tripwire connects to other tripwire or tripwire hooks to the east.|
|north||True if the tripwire connects to other tripwire or tripwire hooks to the north.|
|powered||True if the tripwire is active.|
|south||True if the tripwire connects to other tripwire or tripwire hooks to the south.|
|west||True if the tripwire connects to other tripwire or tripwire hooks to the west.|
|Java Edition Indev|
|February 19, 2010||Added string, as a drop from spiders.|
|Bows can now be crafted using string.|
|Java Edition Infdev|
|June 25, 2010, 2||String can now be found in the new dungeon chests.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.1.1||String can now be used to craft fishing rods.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.5||Introduced cobwebs, which will drop string when broken with a sword.|
|1.7||Cobwebs will now drop string when broken using shears.|
|1.8||Pre-release||Cobwebs will now generate naturally, making them a viable method to obtain string.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||String can now be placed on the ground as tripwire. Tripwire was first first revealed on Dinnerbone's Twitter. Dinnerbone released a video showing him experimenting with tripwire before its release.|
|12w23a||Tripwire can now activated by most entities (including arrows).|
|The max distance of tripwire has now been increased from 18 to 40 blocks.|
|1.6.1||13w18a||String can now be used to craft leads.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 132 (tripwire) has now been removed from the game. It can now no longer exist in inventories, only as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w02a||String can now be sold to fletcher and fisherman villagers, at 15–20 string for 1 emerald.|
|release||Tripwire is now translucent.|
|1.9||15w44a||String will now generate in desert temple chests.|
|The average yield of string in dungeon chests has now more than doubled.|
|1.11||16w39a||String can now be found in woodland mansion chests.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 132 and the item's was 287.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w43a||String can now be used to craft crossbows and a loom.|
|18w45a||String can now be used to craft scaffolding.|
|18w47a||String can now be found inside Pillager outpost chests.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.3.3||Added string, which can be crafted into bows and wool.|
|0.11.0||build 1||String can now be used to craft fishing rods.|
|String can now be caught as a junk item from fishing.|
|0.13.0||build 1||String can now be placed on the ground as a tripwire.|
|String can now be found in desert temple chests.|
|0.15.0||build 1||String can now be used to craft leads.|
|Tripwire will now generate in jungle temples.|
|1.0.4||alpha 126.96.36.199||String can now be sold to fletcher and fisherman villagers for an emerald.|
|1.1.0||alpha 188.8.131.52||String can now be found in woodland mansion chests.|
|Cobwebs can now be used to craft 9 string.|
|1.8.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Tamed cats can now give the player string as gifts.|
|String can now be used to craft scaffolding.|
|Cats will now drop 0–2 string.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||String can now be used to craft crossbows.|
|1.9.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Tripwire string that is broken will now activate, unless broken with shears.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||String can now be found in pillager outpost chests.|
|String can now be used to craft a loom.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added string.|
|TU14||1.04||String can now be placed on the ground as tripwire.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
The first image of tripwires released by Mojang.
An image released by Mojang testing visibility of tripwires from a distance at night.