See Data values
|This page would benefit from the addition of an image.
Please remove this notice once you've added a suitable image to the article. The specific instructions are: A 3D render of placed tripwire
String is used for the crafting recipes of many tools and utilities. When placed as a block, string becomes tripwire which, when combined with tripwire hooks, can form a tripwire circuit.
Tripwire can be mined instantly with any tool, dropping string.
Tripwire will also be removed and drop string as an item:
Tripwire will be destroyed without dropping string if lava flows into its space.
- See also: Cobweb § Usage
|String||Cobweb||[Bedrock and Legacy Console editions only]|
String can be obtained by fishing.
Five pieces of tripwire generate naturally in every jungle temple. String can be found in 57.8% of dungeon chests, 59.0% of desert temple chests, and 57.8% of woodland mansion chests, all in stacks of 1–8.
String can be used as a crafting ingredient and tripwire can be used as a redstone component. It can also be used to keep players from ender-pearling through that space.
|Fishing Rod||Stick +
- See also: Redstone circuit
Tripwire can be used to detect entities as part of a tripwire circuit.
- To place tripwire, use string while pointing at a surface facing the space the tripwire should occupy.
- In order to activate tripwire hooks, tripwire must be part of a "tripwire circuit": a straight line of blocks consisting of a block with a tripwire hook attached to it, a "tripwire line" (1 to 40 blocks of tripwire), and a second tripwire hook attached to another block.
- A tripwire activates if almost any entity (players, mobs, minecarts, boats, items, arrows, etc.) intersects its collision mask. The tripwire remains active until there are no entities intersecting its collision mask. Thrown potions, some arrows, thrown Ender pearls, and thrown eyes of ender will not activate tripwire.
- An active tripwire updates adjacent blocks (for example, it can activate a BUD circuit). Additionally, active tripwires that are part of valid tripwire circuits will cause the attached tripwire hooks to activate (producing redstone power). Active tripwires do not themselves produce redstone power.
- When tripwire is broken (including by being washed away by spreading water) after being part of a valid tripwire circuit, it will activate the attached tripwire hooks for 5 redstone ticks (10 game ticks, or 0.5 seconds barring lag). It will not produce the signal if it is broken using shears.
|Block||ID Name||Item form||Numerical ID[Bedrock Edition only]|
- See also: Data values
In Bedrock Edition, tripwire uses the following data values:
|0x1||Set if tripwire is activated (an entity is intersecting its collision mask).|
|0x4||Set if tripwire is attached to a valid tripwire circuit.|
|0x8||Set if tripwire is disarmed.|
- See also: Block states
||True if the tripwire is connected to a valid tripwire circuit.|
||True if the tripwire is disarmed, that is, broken using shears.|
True if the tripwire connects in that direction.For example, if east, west and south are true the tripwire is connected to either tripwire or tripwire hooks in those directions.
||True if the tripwire is active.|
|February 19, 2010||Added string, as a drop from spiders.|
|Bows can now be crafted using string.|
|June 25, 2010, 2||String can now be found in the new dungeon chests.|
|v1.1.1||String can now be used to craft fishing rods.|
|1.5||Introduced cobwebs, which will drop string when broken with a sword.|
|1.7||Cobwebs will now drop string when broken using shears.|
|1.8||Pre-release||Cobwebs will now generate naturally, making them a viable method to obtain string.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||String can now be placed on the ground as tripwire. Tripwire was first first revealed on Dinnerbone's Twitter. Dinnerbone released a video showing him experimenting with tripwire before its release.|
|12w23a||Tripwire can now activated by most entities (including arrows).|
|The max distance of tripwire has now been increased from 18 to 40 blocks.|
|1.6.1||13w18a||String can now be used to craft leads.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 132 (tripwire) has now been removed from the game. It can now no longer exist in inventories, only as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w02a||String can now be sold to fletcher and fisherman villagers, at 15–20 string for 1 emerald.|
|release||Tripwire is now translucent.|
|1.9||15w44a||String will now generate in desert temple chests.|
|The average yield of string in dungeon chests has now more than doubled.|
|1.11||16w39a||String can now be found in the new woodland mansion chests.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 132 and the item's was 287.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.3.3||Added string, which can be crafted into bows and wool.|
|0.11.0||build 1||String can now be used to craft fishing rods.|
|0.13.0||build 1||String can now be placed on the ground as a tripwire.|
|String can now be found in desert temple chests.|
|0.15.0||build 1||String can now be used to craft leads.|
|Tripwire will now generate in jungle temples.|
|1.1||alpha 184.108.40.206||String can now be found in woodland mansion chests.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.8||beta 220.127.116.11||Tamed cats can now give the player string as a gift.|
|String can now be used to craft scaffolding.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Patch s1||Added string.|
|TU14||1.04||String can now be placed on the ground as tripwire.|