Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Height: 1.99 Blocks
Most icy biomes
See § Drops
|— Marsh Davies|
80% of skeletons spawned directly under the sky in Snowy Tundra, Snowy Mountains, Ice Spikes, Frozen River, Frozen Ocean, Frozen Deep Ocean, and Legacy Frozen Ocean[Bedrock Edition only] biomes are strays.
Strays spawn in group of 1-2, in Frozen Ocean, Frozen Deep Ocean and Legacy Frozen Ocean they can spawn on surfaces at altitude 60-66.
Strays do not spawn naturally from monster spawners, even when exposed to direct sky[Java and Legacy Console editions only]. In Bedrock Edition, 1% of spiders and cave spiders can spawn as a spider jockey with 80% chance to be a stray spider jockey or stray cave spider jockey.
The stray has its own spawn egg in the creative inventory.
- 0–2 bones. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 bones with Looting III.
- 0–2 arrows. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 arrows with Looting III.
- 0–1 arrow of Slowness (if stray was killed by the player). Each level of Looting increases the chance of this drop by 50% of the previous chance, resulting in a maximum of 93.75% with Looting III.
- 1 Wither Skeleton Skull if killed by a charged creeper.[Bedrock Edition only]
- Any picked-up equipment has a 100% chance of dropping and drops with the same damage level it had when picked up.
- Any naturally spawned equipment (including the bow) has a 8.5% chance of dropping (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It is usually badly damaged, and has a chance of being enchanted.
- Strays drop 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf, and 1–3 extra experience, if the stray has equipment.
Strays behave much the same as normal skeletons do, however, they shoot tipped arrows that inflict Slowness for 30 seconds on any target that they hit. When strays are underwater, they do not shoot arrows. Instead, they use melee attacks that inflict Slowness. Strays themselves are not immune to Slowness inflicted on them.
Strays make similar noises to skeletons, with an echoing effect.
In addition to normal skeleton drops, strays have a 50% chance to drop an arrow of Slowness. With the Looting enchantment, this chance increases to 4×level-1⁄4×level, which comes to 3⁄4 for level I, 7⁄8 for level II, and 11⁄12 for level III.
Strays have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 25 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 25 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|1.10||April 11, 2016||Jens Bergensten tweets an image of a new skeleton-type mob.|
|Added spawn eggs for the stray.|
|pre2||The stray's spawn egg has now been removed.|
|?||Added new sounds for the stray, which allow them to now have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as a regular skeleton.|
|1.11||16w32a||The stray's spawn egg has now been re-added.|
|Entity ID |
|Removed the |
|The strays' in-game name is now "Stray" instead of entity.Skeleton.name.|
|1.13||18w19a||Strays now sink underwater.|
|Strays no longer drown underwater.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of the stray has now been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added strays.|
|0.16.0||build 5||Added new sounds for the stray, which allow them to now have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as the regular skeleton.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.2||The stray's clothing now has its own overlay and no longer glitch through their bones.|
|1.1.0||alpha 18.104.22.168||The entity ID is changed from |
|1.5.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Strays now sink underwater.|
|Strays now use melee attacks that inflict slowness and not use ranged attacks while underwater.|
|1.9.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Strays now have correct overlay model.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||1.0.1||Added strays.|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Added the stray spawn egg.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- According to Jeb, the concept for the stray emerged from a game jam the Bellevue team had, where they were just adding a bunch of stuff to Minecraft - whatever they wanted. Jason Major made a bunch of cool mobs and he thought this one fit really well with what they were already planning.
A stray standing next to a normal skeleton.
One of the first images of strays, as tweeted by Jeb.
Two strays, one in full gold armor. Note the old texture.
- "Meet the Stray" by Marsh Davies. Minecraft.net, December 14, 2016