Height: 1.99 Blocks
Most icy biomes
80% of skeletons spawned directly under the sky in Snowy Tundra, Snowy Mountains, Ice Spikes, Frozen River, Frozen Ocean, Frozen Deep Ocean, and Legacy Frozen Ocean[Bedrock Edition only] biomes are strays.
Strays spawn in groups of 4[JE only]/1—2[BE only], in Frozen Ocean, Frozen Deep Ocean and Legacy Frozen Ocean. They can spawn on surfaces at altitude 60-66.
Strays do not spawn naturally from monster spawners, even when exposed to direct sky in Java Edition. In Bedrock Edition, 1% of spiders and cave spiders can spawn as a spider jockey with 80% chance to be a stray spider jockey or stray cave spider jockey.
The stray has its own spawn egg in the creative inventory.
- 0–2 bones. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 bones with Looting III.
- 0–2 arrows. The maximum drop is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 0-5 arrows with Looting III.
- 0–1 arrow of Slowness (if stray was killed by the player or tamed wolf). Each level of Looting increases the chance of this drop by 50% of the previous chance, resulting in a maximum of 93.75% with Looting III.
- 1 Wither Skeleton Skull if killed by a charged creeper.[Bedrock Edition only]
- Any picked-up equipment has a 100% chance of dropping and drops with the same damage level it had when picked up.
- Any naturally spawned equipment (including the bow) has an 8.5% chance of dropping (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It is usually badly damaged and has a chance of being enchanted.
- Strays drop 5 when killed by a player or tamed wolf, and an extra 1–3, if the stray has equipment.
Strays behave the same as normal skeletons, however, they shoot tipped arrows that inflict Slowness for 30 seconds on any target that they hit. When strays are underwater, they do not shoot arrows. Instead, they use melee attacks that inflict Slowness. Strays themselves are not immune to Slowness inflicted on them.
Strays make similar noises to skeletons, with an echoing effect.
|The following sounds section uses an outdated format and should be redone using |
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
Strays have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 25 mobs. In Java Edition 1.16, elder guardians, ender dragons, endermites, hoglins, piglins, vexes, withers, and zoglins can also be killed for this advancement. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 25 mobs. In Java Edition 1.16, elder guardians, ender dragons, endermites, hoglins, piglins, vexes, withers and zoglins are also required for the advancement. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|1.10||April 11, 2016||Jens Bergensten tweets an image of a new skeleton-type mob.|
|Added spawn eggs for strays, which strays can be spawned from.|
|pre2||The spawn egg for strays has been removed.|
|New sounds have now been added for strays, which allow them to have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as a regular skeleton.|
|1.11||16w32a||The spawn egg for strays has been re-added.|
|The entity ID |
|The in-game name of strays is now "Stray" instead of "entity.Skeleton.name".|
|1.13||18w19a||Strays now sink underwater.|
|Strays no longer drown underwater.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of strays has been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added strays.|
|0.16.0||build 5||New sounds have now been added for strays, which allow them to have their own sounds. Previously, they had the same sounds as the regular skeleton.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.2||The clothing of strays now has their own overlay and no longer glitch through their bones.|
|1.1.0||alpha 220.127.116.11||The entity ID has now changed from |
|1.5.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Strays now sink underwater.|
|Strays now use melee attacks that inflict Slowness and not use ranged attacks while underwater.|
|1.9.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Strays now have a correct overlay model.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199||The texture of strays has now changed.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.16.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Strays can now pick up items.|
|Strays now use melee attacks when not holding a bow. Prior to this, strays used any items as ranged weapons to shoot arrows of Slowness normally.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||1.0.1||Added strays.|
|TU54||CU44||1.52||Patch 24||1.0.4||Added stray spawn eggs, which strays can be spawned from.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of strays has been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- According to Jeb, the concept for the stray emerged from a game jam the Bellevue team had, where they were just adding a bunch of stuff to Minecraft - whatever they wanted. Jason Major made a bunch of cool mobs and he thought this one fit really well with what they were already planning.
- Strays and other variants of a skeleton do not know how to use a crossbow, despite the same using method as a bow.
|This page would benefit from the addition of isometric renders.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable isometric renders to the article.
The specific instructions are: strays without bows, aiming render is replaced with targeting mode
A stray standing next to a normal skeleton.
One of the first images of strays, as tweeted by Jeb.
Two strays, one in full gold armor. Note the old texture.
- "Meet the Stray" by Marsh Davies. Minecraft.net, December 14, 2016