|Catches fire from lava||
dec: 88 hex: 58 bin: 1011000
|— Marsh Davies|
Soul sand is found below Y=65 in the Nether, generally in four-block-deep layers. It is also found naturally in nether wart rooms of nether fortresses.
Soul sand can be mined with any tool, or without a tool, but shovels are the quickest.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
Soul sand slows the movement of any mob or player, and causes them to sink 2 pixels into the block while walking on it. Its slowing effect is increased when placed above ice, packed ice, or slime blocks.[Java and Legacy Console editions only] It can also suffocate mobs which are smaller than a slab, namely silverfish, endermites, and baby turtles.
Growing nether wart
Soul sand is used for growing nether wart, a primary base ingredient for many varieties of potions. Nether wart is planted on soul sand (like seeds on farmland), and at full maturity produces multiple nether wart when harvested.
4 blocks of soul sand are used in the construction of a wither.
Placing soul sand under source water blocks creates a lifting bubble column, which causes items, players and mobs inside the column to rise to the surface.[Java and Bedrock editions only] The bubble column extends upward through any number of empty water source blocks (not waterlogged blocks).
|Java Edition Alpha|
|October 8, 2010||Soul sand first appears on Notch's blog.|
|v1.2.0||preview||Added soul sand, which generates in the newly added Nether dimension.|
|v1.2.0_01||Gravel will now generate where Soul Sand should generate. Existing soul sand remains.|
|v1.2.0_02||Soul sand generates again.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.6.6||The player can now get out of soul sand to another block while sneaking.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease||Added nether warts, which can be grown on soul sand.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6||Shovels will now mine soul sand faster.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Inventory sprites for blocks have flipped from left to right, changing to .|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Wither skeleton skulls can be placed on a formation of soul sand to create a wither.|
|12w38a||Soul sand will now have new sounds when being walked on.|
|1.5||13w02a||In texture packs, soul sand now uses /textures/blocks/hellsand.png.|
|1.8||14w17a||Silverfish and endermites will now take damage, if they walk on soul sand.|
|14w32b||One-way doorways can now no longer be made with soul sand.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 88.|
|18w07a||Soul sand will now produce upwards bubble columns when under water.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of soul sand has now been changed.|
|19w09a||Soul sand can now be used to play the cowbell, if they are under note blocks.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added soul sand.|
|0.16.0||build 4||Soul sand can now be used to spawn the wither.|
|1.5.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Soul sand will now produce upwards bubble columns when under water.|
|1.10.0||beta 18.104.22.168||The texture of soul sand has now been changed.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.13.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Soul sand can now be used to play the cowbell, if they are under note blocks.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added soul sand.|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Soul sand can now be used to build the wither.|
|TU69||1.76||Patch 38||Soul sand will now produce upwards bubble columns when under water.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of soul sand has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added soul sand.|
- Soul sand can generate on the floor of caverns and lava pools below Y=60 only if it generated in that same column at Y=60 or above.
- Because soul sand is not as high as a full block, standing near lava while on soul sand will set the player on fire.
- If a water current is pushing the player diagonally against a wall and soul sand is the block adjacent to the player's head when the current ends, it will cause the player to jump.
- If snow or carpet is over soul sand, the effects of it being a partial block are avoided, as the player will be walking on the cover block, not the soul sand.
- Due to the ability to reset the Nether in the Legacy Console Edition, soul sand is renewable in that edition. Although a player can reset the Nether in Java Edition by deleting the DIM-1 folder in a Minecraft world file, some may consider this cheating. Also, explored nether fortresses will disappear if the player does not delete data/Fortress.dat that stores data of nether fortresses.
- When heads are broken, the resulting particles have the soul sand texture.
- Despite soul sand being a type of sand, it does not fall the same way sand and gravel do.