dec: 80 hex: 50 bin: 1010000
See Data values
|“||No feeling in the world beats waking up on a winter morning and opening the curtains to find out that it snowed overnight. The joy of seeing the world transformed, its colours hidden below a deep, fluffy layer of white, is incomparable to any other experience.||„|
|— Duncan Geere|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Unlike snow layers, snow blocks will not melt from higher levels of light under normal circumstances, nor get destroyed by water.
Snow blocks are also used to make snow golems by putting 2 snow blocks on top of another and a pumpkin on the top as the head. Note that the pumpkin has to be placed last for this to work. This can be done sideways and upside-down, as well.
|Block||ID Name||Numeral ID|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.0.5||Added snow blocks.|
|v1.0.5_01||A shovel is now required to obtain snowballs.|
|Snow blocks on top of top snow cover no longer looks unusual.|
|v1.0.6||Snow blocks now only take 4 snowballs to craft instead of 9.|
|Destroying snow blocks now yielded 4-6 snowballs, allowing for infinite amounts of snow blocks and snowballs as snow blocks only take 4 snowballs to make.|
|v1.1.1||Infinite snowball glitch fixed; solid snow blocks now only drop four snowballs.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.8||?||Snow no longer generates in cold biomes.|
|?||Snow now generates in cold biomes again.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Inventory sprites for blocks were flipped from left to right, changing |
|1.4.2||12w38a||Snow was given a new block breaking sound.|
|1.5||13w05a||Crafting recipe for snow cover was added.|
|1.9||15w43a||Snow will now generate as part of igloos.|
|1.12||17w15a||Snow can now be placed correctly on upside-down stairs.|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID has been changed from |
|Renamed to Snow Block.|
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 80.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.1.0||Added snow blocks.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Snow blocks will now generate naturally in ice spike biomes.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Snow is now renewable, and can be used to create golems.|
|1.0||alpha 0.17.0||Snow blocks will now generate as part of igloos.|
|1.4||beta 184.108.40.206||Snow blocks will now generate naturally in icebergs.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added snow blocks.|
- Snow may still fall on top of snow blocks, making them look taller than they actually are.
- When a snow block is on grass, the grass block changes to a different "snowy" texture as if a snow layer is on it.
- However, since snow is not transparent to light, the grass will change to dirt shortly after.
- There is code to make snow blocks melt, but since they are solid blocks they cannot be lit enough for this to occur (barring certain lighting glitches) (see for more information)
- A texture known as "fluff.png" exists in files from the survival tests onward, that resembles snow. However, this was before snow was added, so this texture went unused.
- "Block of the Week: Snow" – Minecraft.net, May 19, 2017