dec: 80 hex: 50 bin: 1010000
See Data values
|— Duncan Geere|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Haste § Instant mining.
Unlike snow layers, snow blocks will not melt from higher levels of light under normal circumstances, nor get destroyed by water.
Snow blocks can be found in 34.5% of snowy village house chests in stacks of 1.
Snow blocks are also used to make snow golems by putting 2 snow blocks on top of another and a carved pumpkin on the top as the head. Note that the carved pumpkin has to be placed last for this to work. This can be done sideways and upside-down, as well.
|Block||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.0.5||Added snow blocks.|
|v1.0.5_01||A shovel is now required to obtain snowballs.|
|Snow blocks on top of top snow cover no longer looks unusual.|
|v1.0.6||Snow blocks now only take 4 snowballs to craft instead of 9.|
|Destroying snow blocks now yielded 4-6 snowballs, allowing for infinite amounts of snow blocks and snowballs as snow blocks only take 4 snowballs to make.|
|v1.1.1||Infinite snowball glitch fixed; solid snow blocks now only drop four snowballs.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.8||?||Snow no longer generates in cold biomes.|
|?||Snow now generates in cold biomes again.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Inventory sprites for blocks were flipped from left to right, changing to .|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Snow was given a new block breaking sound.|
|1.5||13w05a||Crafting recipe for snow cover was added.|
|1.9||15w43a||Snow will now generate as part of igloos.|
|1.12||17w15a||Snow can now be placed correctly on upside-down stairs.|
|1.13||17w47a||The ID has been changed from |
|Renamed to Snow Block.|
|Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 80.|
|1.14||18w43a||Changed the texture of snow blocks.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.1.0||Added snow blocks.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Snow blocks will now generate naturally in ice spike biomes.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Snow is now renewable, and can be used to create golems.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Snow blocks will now generate as part of igloos.|
|1.4.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Snow blocks will now generate naturally in icebergs.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Changed the texture of snow blocks.|
|Snow blocks now generate in snowy tundra villages.|
|1.11.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Snow blocks can be found in snowy tundra village house chests.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added snow blocks.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||Changed the texture of snow blocks.|
- Snow may still fall on top of snow blocks, making them look taller than they actually are.
- When a snow block is on grass, the grass block changes to a different "snowy" texture as if a snow layer is on it.
- However, since snow is not transparent to light, the grass will change to dirt shortly after.
- A texture known as "fluff.png" exists in files from the survival tests onward, that resembles snow. However, this was before snow was added, so this texture went unused.
- "Block of the Week: Snow" – Minecraft.net, May 19, 2017