|This article needs updating.|
Some of the information no longer applies to the latest version.
Height: 0.3 Blocks
Silverfish have no drops other than 5 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Silverfish spawn from broken infested blocks, which generate in strongholds, igloos with basements, woodland mansion fake portal rooms and mountains biomes. Silverfish will not spawn if the block is broken with Silk Touch.
When spawning from monster spawners, they can only spawn in light level 11 or lower, except on top of stone and its variants, where they can spawn at any light level. They also cannot spawn within a 5 block distance of any player.
Silverfish are the third smallest mobs in Minecraft, after the baby turtle and the endermite; their height is less than that of a slab. Because of this, they take suffocation damage from standing on soul sand.
Silverfish have the ability to "call" other silverfish in the area upon being hit. These silverfish have the ability to see through walls, and will pathfind until they reach the player.
When idle, silverfish will enter a nearby stone block, transforming it into a monster egg.
When they suffer poison damage or damage inflicted by the player, and survive, they may cause other silverfish within a 21×11×21 area to break out of their monster eggs. The player can therefore prevent other silverfish from appearing by killing them in one shot.
Silverfish have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 24 mobs. In 1.14,[upcoming] you can also earn this by killing one of these 2 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 24 mobs. In 1.14,[upcoming] also kill each of these 2 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.7||The texture (silverfish.png) was added, though the mob itself was not yet present.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Reduced silverfish health from 20 ( × 10) to 8 () that we used today.|
|Silverfish monster spawners are now found in End portal rooms in strongholds.|
|RC1||Added sounds for silverfish. Before the update, silverfish used spider sounds.|
|1.3.1||12w26a||Silverfish will now summon silverfish from nearby monster eggs whenever they take Poison damage.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Silverfish can now possess cracked stone bricks, mossy stone bricks and chiseled stone bricks. However, the first two will not actually generate within strongholds.|
|?||Silverfish can rarely spawn inside cobblestone or stone brick blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Silverfish will now pathfind, alert other silverfish of the player when hit, and stop occasionally before moving again (similar to most other mobs).|
|1.9||15w43a||Silverfish can now be spawned from broken monster eggs in the basements of igloos.|
|1.11||16w32a||Changed entity ID from |
|16w36a||Can now spawn from broken infested cobblestone in the fake portal room of woodland mansions.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added silverfish.|
|0.12.1||build 12||No longer makes sounds while moving.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Silverfish can now be spawned from broken monster eggs in the basements of igloos.|
|1.1.0||alpha 184.108.40.206||Can now spawn from broken infested cobblestone in the fake portal room of woodland mansions.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added silverfish.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- In real life, silverfish are small, relatively harmless, wingless arthropods that are often found in dark areas in buildings and the wooden pilings of seaside piers and trees. They are infamous for damaging paper-based products. During cold temperatures they are known to enter a sort of "hibernation" by expelling most of the water in their body. During this state they greatly resemble small stones or gravel, likely inspiring their Minecraft counterparts.
- Although they can enter cracked, mossy and chiseled stone bricks, which are data values of the original stone brick block, they cannot enter granite, diorite, andesite, or their polished variants even though these are also data values of a block they can enter.
- If the gamerule
mobGriefingis disabled, silverfish will not enter stone and its variants.
- Unlike most Minecraft mobs, they do not have a plush toy.
- They appeared in the April Fools 2.0 update as the Redstone Bug.
- In Bedrock Edition, letting a silverfish enter cobblestone or any variants of stone bricks will turn these blocks into infested stone instead of the corresponding infested block.[verify]
- Because of this, infested stone can also be found outside mountains biomes in this version.
Silverfish spawner room in a stronghold.