A shield is a tool used for protecting the player against attacks.
|Any Planks +
|Damaged Shield||The durability of the two shields is added together, plus an extra 5% durability. The repaired shield has no pattern.|
Shields are used for blocking incoming attacks. Using[JE only] or sneaking[BE only] causes a player to slow to a sneaking pace, and after 5 game ticks (0.25 seconds), attacks coming from in front of the player are blocked, dealing no damage. When the shield blocks an attack of 4 or stronger, it takes durability damage equal to the strength of the attack rounded up.
Most Blocked projectiles that carry status effects (such as shulker bullets[JE only], flaming arrows, or tipped arrows) do not affect the blocker. Tridents & arrows can be deflected into other targets. Knockback from melee attacks and projectiles is prevented, while knockback from explosions and ravager attacks is significantly reduced.
The shield directionally blocks all attacks coming from within 90° of the direction the wielder is facing, providing a full hemisphere of coverage to them. If the wielder faces straight up or straight down, they are likely to miss their blocks.
Blockable attacks include:
- Melee attacks, except by axe-wielding mobs or by a sprinting player wielding an axe
- Normal, tipped and spectral arrows
- Arrows are totally deflected and can hit other targets.
- Status effects do not carry through to the blocker[JE only].
- Flaming arrows
- Burning does not carry through to the blocker[JE only].
- Snowballs and eggs
- Spines from pufferfish
- Bullets from shulkers
- The levitation effect does not carry through to the blocker[JE only].
- Spit from llamas
- Fireballs, such as from blazes and fire charges
- Burning does not carry through to the blocker.
- Direct hits from ghast fireballs
- These still cause environmental damage.
- Explosion damage from creepers
- TNT that another player lit
- Ravager headbutts
- These still knock the blocker back by about 3 blocks.
- Blocking these strikes can stun the ravager for a moment, and it roars afterward.
- Ravager roars are blocked but still knock back the blocker.
- Bee stings are blocked, but bees continuously attack until the player stops blocking and the player is stung.
They cannot block:
- Arrows from a crossbow enchanted with Piercing
- This does not reduce the shield's durability.
- Status effects from tipped arrows or shulker bullets [BE only] 
- Direct projectile damage is blocked, but the effect still carries through.
- Status effects from splash/lingering potions, evokers' fangs, or breath from the ender dragon
- Beam attacks from guardians or elder guardians
- TNT that the blocking player lit themselves[JE only]
- TNT that a redstone mechanism lit[JE only]
- Teleport and fall damage
- Strikes from any axe-wielding mob (e.g., vindicators, piglin brutes, zombies) or from axe-wielding players that are sprinting
- Such axe strikes disable the shield for 5 seconds[JE only].
- Axe strikes from a player that isn't sprinting still have a 25% chance to disable the shield.
Shields can be decorated by applying a banner pattern.
|Applies the banner pattern to the shield. The banner is consumed.|
The shield must have no preexisting patterns.
Does not change existing durability or enchantments on the shield.
Unlike with banners, shields cannot be repainted or washed in a cauldron. Shields have only half the resolution of banners, making patterns look slightly different. In the game files, the pattern textures can be found in a separate directory called entity/shield.
Shields with patterns can also be obtained using the same commands as banners, except
banner has to be replaced with
|Curse of Vanishing||I|
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Item breaks||?||When durability is exhausted||1.0||0.9||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Not Today, Thank You||Deflect a projectile with a shield||Suit Up||Deflect any projectile with a shield.|
|July 10, 2011||During an interview, Jeb says that "shields for the left arm" might be added.|
|Shields replace the blocking functionality of swords, although blocking more damage.|
|The current crafting recipe of shields includes wool, producing 16 possible colored shields. There currently isn't a blank, uncolored shield.
|Any of the colored base shields can be crafted with a banner of the same base color, to produce a patterned shield.|
|15w34c||When an attack is blocked by a shield, the attacker now may be knocked back.|
|Being attacked with an axe now may disable shield use for 5 seconds.|
|15w37a||The crafting recipe of shields has been changed to 6 planks and 1 iron ingot.
|Crafting a shield now produces a base wooden shield that can be crafted together with any banner.|
|The cooldown of shields has been reduced from 0.5s to 0.25s.|
|Blocking with shields now prevents some side effects.[verify]|
|Arrows now ricochet off shields.|
|15w44a||Shields can now be repaired by combining with other shields. This removes any banner that had been applied.|
|15w45a||Crafting a banner onto a shield now consumes the banner.|
|15w47b||Added shield blocking sounds.|
|16w07a||Added more variation of shield blocking sounds.|
|pre1||The durability of shields has been increased from 181 to 337.|
|1.11||16w33a||Crafting a shield with a banner no longer changes the durability, nor does it remove enchantments from it.|
|16w35a||Shields now block 100% of damage/knockback/debuffs dealt in melee combat.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 442.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of shields has been changed.|
|Shields no longer knockback attackers when they block due to a bug with rework of the blocking mechanic with the introduction of the Ravager|
|19w11a||Shields can now be bought from armorer villagers.|
|1.14.3||Pre-Release 3||Shields blocking flaming arrows no longer put the player on fire.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|Combat Tests||1.14.3 - Combat Test||Critical hits now bypass shields.|
|The warm-up delay has been removed from shields.|
|When in the off-hand, shields now activate when sneaking.|
|Combat Test 2||Shields now protect against critical attacks again.|
|Shields can only be activated when the weapon is charged to 200%.|
|Combat Test 3||A "Shield Indicator" option that displays when the shield is active, similar to the attack indicator, has been added.|
|An option to hide shields when active has been added.|
|The arc of available protection of shields has been decreased to 100 degrees instead of 180 degrees.|
|Combat Test 4||An option to disable shields being activating by pressing crouch has been added.|
|The option to hide the shield has been removed.|
|Combat Test 6||Shields now protect up to 5 damage for melee attacks (still 100% against projectiles).|
|Shields activate instantly regardless if the weapon is charged, similar to Combat test 1.|
|Shields now recover faster after an attack.|
|Combat Test 7c||Shields now add a 50% knockback resistance when active.|
|Shields now protect against 100% explosion damage.|
|Combat Test 8c||The knockback calculations for shields have been fixed.[more information needed]|
|Crouch-shielding while jumping has been disabled.|
|Shields with banners are now temporarily stronger than normal shields (10 absorption instead of 5, and better knockback resistance) to test different shield types.|
|1.10.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added shields.|
|Shields cannot be customized with banners.|
|Shields are activated by crouching or mounting mobs.|
|1.11.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Shields can now be bought from armorer villagers.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|Shields do not have banner application features.|