|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
|This article does not apply to Classic server software.|
This article only describes technical information for SMP Server Hosting.
Server installation and configuration
For a full tutorial on setting up a Minecraft server, please read the installation and configuration guide.
- These requirements apply only to the Survival version of Minecraft, and not to the Classic version.
- Requirements may change depending on the server software, such as using Bukkit and/or mods.
- Java 1.8 is available for Minecraft Servers!
* Note: Linux users should avoid using OpenJDK 6 for server hosting, as it has been known to cause issues
- Only the JRE version is required, however, Java JDK still works.
- The more memory that your server has, the better. It is recommended to have at least 3 GB of physical RAM in the computer. That way, plenty of RAM is left over for the operating system, and you have the possibility of allocating more to the Minecraft server as needed.
- Minecraft servers, as of 1.14, can use multiple cores for some operations, so now they no longer sit idle, and increase server performance.
- Windows or Desktop based Linux distributions aren't recommended for hosting servers, use console based Linux/BSD for maximum performance. 
Here is a simple recommendation to help you get started and/or help decide which hosting option is best for you:
Running a LAN Party type Server (since 1.12.2)
- Note that these requirements are for the server only. You need to allocate more resources to the OS!
- Also note that these suggestion presume default settings in server.conf - i.e., a Draw Distance no higher than 10, and is also based on a new world; the bigger the world gets, especially if there's advanced redstone circuitry at work, the requirements - especially the RAM, or in the case of lots of redstone or mobs (in e.g. grinders), the CPU - increase significantly (to the point where a major world with several camps, redstone machinery, grinders, etcetera can easily more than double the requirements).
|Minimum||1-4||Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 x2||1GB||At least 150MB for world saves||Be sure to have at least a low-ping internet connection. |
(Such as DSL or Cable)
|Recommended||5-10||Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 x2||2GB||At least 200MB for world saves|
|Best||10+||Intel Core i7-4790k or AMD Ryzen 5 1600||4GB||At least 200MB SSD|
Running a Dedicated type Server
Please see Dedicated Server Requirements for more information.
Running a Server-grade Server
Please see Server-Grade Server Requirements for more information.