RenderDragon is a rendering engine used in Bedrock Edition and Minecraft Earth that runs on DirectX and OpenGL ES. In Bedrock Edition, it is currently available on Windows 10, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
RenderDragon features edge highlighting and new lighting techniques as part of the soon-to-be visual and performance upgrades, and also adding ray-tracing support. It supports a range of graphics features, depending on the device's capability. Most devices have some graphics and performance enhancements, but not all devices can support ray tracing.
|June 20, 2019||An image of RenderDragon v0.0.2 is released by Helen Zbihlyj on Twitter.|
|1.13.0||beta 188.8.131.52||The Xbox One port now uses RenderDragon.|
|1.14.0||The PlayStation 4 port now uses RenderDragon.|
|RTX Beta||beta 184.108.40.206||The Windows 10 port now uses RenderDragon and supports ray tracing.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Fixed several bugs related to RenderDragon and RTX.|
|1.16.100||beta 18.104.22.168||Windows 10 now uses RenderDragon outside RTX Beta, but without ray tracing support.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||RenderDragon is disabled in the beta for Windows 10.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||RenderDragon is re-enabled in the beta for Windows 10.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||RenderDragon is disabled again in the beta for Windows 10.|
|1.16.200||beta 184.108.40.206||RenderDragon is re-enabled again on Windows 10.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||RenderDragon now supports ray tracing outside RTX Beta.|
|release||Windows 10 now uses RenderDragon outside Beta.|
- RenderDragon was designed to be usable in Java Edition. However, it is currently not used in that edition.
An image of RenderDragon v0.0.2 released on Twitter by Helen Zbihlyj.
- "Someone doesn't watch our official livestreams! 😄 It's ok, I forgive you. 😉 We're still working on RenderDragon, the new graphics engine for Bedrock that also drives Minecraft Earth. Check the pic if you want proof that RenderDragon is still in development." – @HelenAngel, June 20, 2019
- "What's New: Moar Beeeezzz! - Sept 12, 2019"
- "Minecraft for PlayStation TM 4 FAQ" – Minecraft Help Center, December 13, 2019.
- Minecraft NVIDIA RTX FAQ
- "Only if the Java team implements RenderDragon. RenderDragon was designed as such that it could be used in the Java codebase as well just in case the Java team wanted to use it." – @HelenAngel, August 23, 2019